Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joel Ward

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Dunk Prem appearances 0, Dann 183

In regards to Cabaye...bad apple? He is a top bloke who makes time for the fans. I suppose your club is full of angels is it? ROTFL

Eight 'fans' once turned up to your pile of shit for a fans/players forum, a year before you were promoted. So die hard up there. 14k average attendance, a year before you went up. Did the 'fans' all come back?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
t.

Dann is objectively a solid Premier League centre half. We've turned down a handful of bids from Everton and other PL clubs for his services in the last couple of years. Dunk, while promising, is totally unproven in the top flight and there's simply no way you can suggest he's a better player at this time.

Cabaye has never been relegated. Are you sure you know who he is? He's the guy with 48 caps for France.

Didn't he play in the Newcastle team that got relegated?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Money buys you players and facilities so yes, a lot of it is about money. Man City are title favourites this year. Why? Because they spent the most money this summer on players.

Fat Sam, Pards & Pulis cheques combined with the likes of Adebayor and Benteke wages, doesn't leave a lot left in the pot does it?

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Gross is better than Puncheon.

He probably is, yeah. Propper is too. Not sure about Knockaert over Townsend and I expect we'll need to see how he gets on against Premier League opposition before we can call that one, but Andros has got an awful lot of PL experience and looked excellent under Allardyce.

It's quite tough to be impartial here obviously, but although you've made some very solid signings in the last couple of weeks, I can't help but feel that we're still some way ahead of you in terms of the quality of our squad. Milivojevic, Townsend, Dann etc. have all proven themselves to be good Premier League players, while the likes of Zaha, Benteke (and hopefully Sakho) have undeniable quality and are up there with the very best players outside the top 6.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Dann is excellent and Riedewald, although unproven in the PL as he has just signed, comes extremely highly rated. I rate Lewis Dunk highly but he's still young and rash, while Dann is about as composed as it gets. As the window goes on it's looking more and more likely that we'll be able to re-sign Sakho from Liverpool which would be absolutely incredible as he'd immediately become the best defender to ever play for either of our clubs. Groß could turn out to be a brilliant signing for Brighton, but at the moment I don't think any neutral would take him over the proven Premier League quality Cabaye offers.

Mark Lawrenson?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Anyway all Palace have to talk about is money...They are like your mates 'high maintenance' girlfriend...Only he loves her and everyone else can see right through her and hates her.....

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Money buys you players and facilities so yes, a lot of it is about money. Man City are title favourites this year. Why? Because they spent the most money this summer on players.

Man City have infrastructure, they have a great ground and the best training facility in Europe, probably the world. Why you mention them is beyond me. You have a pot of money that is paying 40k+ for players, that you will not sustain if you go down, Man City won't go down. You have none of what Man City, or us have. In fact you have nothing except your pool of Prem cash. What happens when you are relegated and no-one particularly wants to play at your place or train at your facilities, lets be fair, it is probably the worst in the Prem.

But if you want to compare, we have a state of the art stadium and some of the best training facilities in the country, way off of Man City, but better than probably 80 clubs in the country. If we went down and met you in the second tier, where would these players think of going first? Or are you going to go down the money route again?

Money killed Palace twice and I thought their fans had learnt their lesson. But obviously and clearly with people like you claiming to be fans, they haven't.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Agree with that but doubtful Punch will be making our first X1 once everyone is fit, it'll be Milivojevic and Cabaye.

I thought Marseille were after Cabaye and Milivojevic is playing at centre back this year isn't he?

The Raver

Banned
Jun 9, 2017
Is this a joke ? Look at your attendances in the Championship compared to ours.

We have a 6000 waiting list and growing. We could easily fill a 40k stadium. You simply couldn't get near that figure

Course we could. Our catchment area is bigger for a start. A lot of people are put off as Selhurst isn't a nice new shiny prawn sandwich brigade stadium like yours. If we had your stadium or similar, we would get more than you, that I am certain of. A lot would be Plastics or JCL's (both teams have them) but it would still happen.

The Raver

Banned
Jun 9, 2017
I thought Marseille were after Cabaye and Milivojevic is playing at centre back this year isn't he?

Cabaye is staying according to a few sources. Milivojevic has been playing centre half in pre season but now we have signed Fosu-Mensah and are after Chambers or Sakho, it's pretty clear he will soon go back into midfield.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Course we good. Our catchment area is bigger for a start. A lot of people are put off as Selhurst isn't a nice new shiny prawn sandwich brigade stadium like yours. If we had your stadium or similar, we would get more then you, that I am certain of. A lot would be Plastics or JCL's (both teams have them) but it would still happen.

But you averaged 14k in the season before you went up. When you went up you averaged over 23k. Why does that make you think you would have had more people through the gates? You are not using logic here. Are the 9k you have increased all JCLs? Are you?

Your catchment area is actually very small, it is basically Croydon. Anyone in that area can get to Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham, Chelsea in no time at all, you don't have a catchment area to boast about.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Mate, he talks about assets in players and money in the bank which hasn't been used at all to upgrade their failing facilities both in ground and training facilities. What he is talking about is unsustainable and very Premier League fan.

We have a sustainable project and facilities to back it up. If we go down we have the right structure in place to come back up and sustain a premier place. They have players that will leave. That is about all they have, and still no plan in place to upgrade their facilities. If I was a Palace fan that would trouble me. Sadly they only think $$$, it's a car crash waiting to happen. Get the infrastructure correct first and the rest falls into place. If you don't have the infrastructure you will crash and burn eventually.

Exactly this.
Of course players are an asset if their value goes up ,but players get older and their wages become unsustainable if a team goes down or even stay up .
The likes of Man City Chelsea and the big boys etc don't have to worry so much as they can take the loss and their youth policy and global income and recruitment are second to none .
The problem arises when the smaller clubs try to spend like the big boys ,we as a club and supporters don't want that we want sustainability within a budget we can afford and if that means going back down as oppose to going out of business then so be it .
You may finish higher than us and have more expensive players on higher wages but we have an infrastructure and assets in bricks and mortar ,and I know which one I would much rather have .

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Course we could. Our catchment area is bigger for a start. A lot of people are put off as Selhurst isn't a nice new shiny prawn sandwich brigade stadium like yours. If we had your stadium or similar, we would get more than you, that I am certain of. A lot would be Plastics or JCL's (both teams have them) but it would still happen.

isn't really a stadium tbh is it? i had to walk through waitrose/lidl etc to get in for the play offs. i do honestly admire what you lot have done, but let's not kid ourselves, with a bournemouth style ground and no bigger catchment, i'd say we are on the up and you...well...i predict 12th or something but that reflects the shite that is there now x

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here