Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

You know you were that kid

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Who had ****all to talk about when the kids at school were talking about their teams on a Monday and you wasn't really involved in the conversation because you didn't support a top flight team. Or the first to get slaughtered because you are playing Rochdale at the weekend (needless to say it was a loss)

My son is buzzing for Saturday and hasn't stopped gloating at school since promotion. Really happy he has stuck with it when he could of dropped it like his mate did last year (now Chelsea) and hopefully next season he can give it back a bit when Brighton turn over some of the big boys.

(This also applys to the work invioronent)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Who had ****all to talk about when the kids at school were talking about their teams on a Monday and you wasn't really involved in the conversation because you didn't support a top flight team.

No. I went to school in Hove (actually) and apart from one (Arsenal) all my mates supported the Albion.

I went to Moulsecoombe in the late 70s it was a great time to support the Albion, all the kids went to the Goldstone as football was affordable to all even the ones whose parents didn't have two ha'pennies to wipe their arse on (so to speak)

Chris Caitlin and Gerry Ryan's visit was a highlight for what was not an enjoyable time for me :(

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I Live in Warwick and my lad loves wearing his Brighton kits to to all after school sports activities. He is only 8 so does not have the memories of us being crap (as I have from growing up in Devon but I also followed Torquay (who were generally lower in leagues until my a level years) so had some local rivals in Plymouth and Exeter. That said most supported Liverpool or Arsenal.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I know that feeling. I was a WEAK child and I crumbled dramatically in 1993, aged 6. I couldn't handle being LAUGHED at any more when I came in on "sporting hero day" with a headband and a blue shirt and said I was Steve Foster.

"He's RUBBISH. Brighton are RUBBISH. Why don't you support MAN UTD?".

I wish I was stronger, but I wasn't. I crumbled and "picked" a prem team so I could also join in. I never stopped supporting the Albion, I just kept it quiet whilst I flaunted my Arsenal shirt and full goalkeeping kit with fake moustache at the next Sport Hero day.

To this day I still "follow" Arsenal. I can't just "turn it off" after 23 years, but any future child I have won't be allowed to make the same error I did. Be strong. Stick with your beliefs. :lolol:

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Well his school is full of glory hunters and Palace fans (spit on the floor) Their are two Brighton supporters in his whole school. I suppose it is very different if you live in Brighton or Hove.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I was that kid. Only Brighton fan in the school (Bromley so full of Palace and Millwall fans) Became good mates with a guy who was the only Cardiff fan in the school and went alternate weekends to Albion or City games.

Still have a big soft spot for Cardiff but can't bring myself to go to their new ground as I absolutely loved Ninian Park. Very Very different experience being in the home end there.

My boy was the only Albion fan in his school now, but its pleasing that the other kids were mainly Reading fans with a smattering of big names (he goes to school in Reading). He has had great fun since we beat them 3-0 and went up and has brain washed another kid into supporting us.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
I was that kid. Only Brighton fan in the school (Bromley so full of Palace and Millwall fans) Became good mates with a guy who was the only Cardiff fan in the school and went alternate weekends to Albion or City games.

Still have a big soft spot for Cardiff but can't bring myself to go to their new ground as I absolutely loved Ninian Park. Very Very different experience being in the home end there.

My boy was the only Albion fan in his school now, but its pleasing that the other kids were mainly Reading fans with a smattering of big names (he goes to school in Reading). He has had great fun since we beat them 3-0 and went up and has brain washed another kid into supporting us.

Knowing Bromley based Millwall supporters I'm sure you and your Cardiff mate got a hard time. No wonder you stuck together.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Yea used to get that at work from a plastic liverpool fan.Always going about Brighton being shit

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Knowing Bromley based Millwall supporters I'm sure you and your Cardiff mate got a hard time. No wonder you stuck together.

Most were OK. Some were just mental.

Ended up at Forest v Millwall as a mate had a spare ticket. I spent the whole coach journey with beer and numerous other things being passed around and 'Let 'em all come down to the Den' blaring through the speakers. It was like a deleted scene from football factory. I then had people questioning where I sat at the ground as I hadn't been seen around before. Very Very strange day

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I know that feeling. I was a WEAK child and I crumbled dramatically in 1993, aged 6. I couldn't handle being LAUGHED at any more when I came in on "sporting hero day" with a headband and a blue shirt and said I was Steve Foster.

"He's RUBBISH. Brighton are RUBBISH. Why don't you support MAN UTD?".

I wish I was stronger, but I wasn't. I crumbled and "picked" a prem team so I could also join in. I never stopped supporting the Albion, I just kept it quiet whilst I flaunted my Arsenal shirt and full goalkeeping kit with fake moustache at the next Sport Hero day.

To this day I still "follow" Arsenal. I can't just "turn it off" after 23 years, but any future child I have won't be allowed to make the same error I did. Be strong. Stick with your beliefs. :lolol:

Good to read! #Lifer

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Weren't many football fans at our school [MENTION=805]Kalimantan Gull[/MENTION]? Us two, Noel anyone else?

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Who had ****all to talk about when the kids at school were talking about their teams on a Monday and you wasn't really involved in the conversation because you didn't support a top flight team. Or the first to get slaughtered because you are playing Rochdale at the weekend (needless to say it was a loss)

My son is buzzing for Saturday and hasn't stopped gloating at school since promotion. Really happy he has stuck with it when he could of dropped it like his mate did last year (now Chelsea) and hopefully next season he can give it back a bit when Brighton turn over some of the big boys.

(This also applys to the work invioronent)

I was not that kid, as we were in the top divisions for all but 3 seasons when I was at school and more were Brighton fans than other clubs.

It has been more of an issue in the work invioronent (whatever that is; it sounds painful) in the last 25 years where only a quarter of work colleagues knew that there are teams outside the 'Premier League' and less than 5% had any appreciation of the fun you can have following your team in the lower leagues.

If I was at school now I would be winding up others. In a professional work invioronent I will have to keep it a little more circumspect and will choose my moments carefully, if and only if we beat the big clubs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
HGSB 69-76, nobody I knew followed the Albion first and foremost. But for many of us we went, and we only went to the Goldstone (plus a smattering of awaydays). MOTD was another world, and from age 10 to 15 I 'supported' Leeds. Even went to see them (at Chelsea, the Dell and, ahem, Shitehole park).

Frankly I felt let down by my home club when I was a kid. But I still kept going. I am a massive snob so you wouldn't catch me cavorting about the Goldstone in flagrante tinpottery at getting promoted from tier 3 (87). But that all changed when I passed the age of 40, and just could not help myself. I started singing and going to away games. My son has been to hundreds of games with me, but is a rare attender these days. What am I going on about? Who cares? Frankly I support the Albion and couldn't give a shit about who other people support, unless they are up for a nice chat, if they have the bus fare. :rock:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Mark Smith - he was Spurs, yeah? Nev Hill liked Everton, thats always stuck in my memory. Funny the things you keep hold of....
That's right. I think Mark might have gone to a few games.....not so sure about Nev though! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here