Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
And to think I was worried last week that there wouldn't be enough snow! There are some great webcams on the Grandvalira app if you haven't got it.

I have - I got that feed from the Web Version. Looks like you're in for some great skiing next week. By then the 30 or so runs that aren't yet open will be, as the extra snow allows them to piste them for use.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
All over Oxfordshire, people are out with teaspoons, digging their cars out of the snow.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
So, there's not a lot settling then? Or are people from Oxfordshire a little odd?

Three hours of heavy snowfall was forecast for Oxfordshire, for yesterday, between 5 pm and 8 pm. Not a single snowflake fell.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
And here in TN6....but only very small flakes at the moment. Sky is very white though.

****ing snow! If it stops me getting down the pub at lunch time then I am not going to be happy!
We've got flumpage going on now. Already adding to the inch we got last night

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Obviously, sod all once again down on the Lizard, been five years I think since snow here. What does it take to get flumping on the south coast of Cornwall [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]? any conditions where we get it and you further east don't?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Obviously, sod all once again down on the Lizard, been five years I think since snow here. What does it take to get flumping on the south coast of Cornwall [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]? any conditions where we get it and you further east don't?

Unlikely - the weather affecting the West Country would have to come from Russia or Scandinavia.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Obviously, sod all once again down on the Lizard, been five years I think since snow here. What does it take to get flumping on the south coast of Cornwall [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]?

You are in the one of the worst places for snow in Mainland Britain, being bathed in the warm sea to the SW. The West Country gets it's best snow with low pressure pushing in against a cold blocking High, either to the N or NE. The low stalls, pushing fronts into the cold air, giving Easterly gales and blizzards. This happened a few times in the winters of the 80s (and before in 47/63) and also to an extent in Dec 2010.

The other wind directions - NW - needs to be very cold for snow on the Lizard, whereas the moors can get snow in such a setup. Northerly needs to be potent to push showers that far across the Irish Sea and still be snow. Easterlies can give snow showers along the SW coastal area, IF a streamer sets up mid channel but it's rare.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You are in the one of the worst places for snow in Mainland Britain, being bathed in the warm sea to the SW. The West Country gets it's best snow with low pressure pushing in against a cold blocking High, either to the N or NE. The low stalls, pushing fronts into the cold air, giving Easterly gales and blizzards. This happened a few times in the winters of the 80s (and before in 47/63) and also to an extent in Dec 2010.

The other wind directions - NW - needs to be very cold for snow on the Lizard, whereas the moors can get snow in such a setup. Northerly needs to be potent to push showers that far across the Irish Sea and still be snow. Easterlies can give snow showers along the SW coastal area, IF a streamer sets up mid channel but it's rare.

Thanks. yep Dec 10, that was the last time we saw snow here. Got some tantalising hail and sleet yesterday evening but the tempo just didn't drop below 5 degrees. Best set-up here is for Friday night snow up on the moors, and then we all head off with kids and toboggans up onto Bodmin on Saturday morning. Don't think there'll be any left tomorrow though, so my youngest will have to wait to see snow for the first time!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here