Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Hodgson

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I gave him too much credit. Anyone who still wants to defend him please consider his pre-match comments about why he picked Sterling as being the key to beat this side and then the changes he made during the game. It might be an England manager disease as Hoddle aftertimed and contradicted his way through the second half punditry. I'll be honest, I am really not that bothered about England although I still really enjoy tournament football. I do, however, remember when I did (including travelling to support etc) and I know there will be loads of massively disappointed people this morning and they have my sympathy. The FA, on the other hand.....you reap what you sow.

Should be hopefully 4 great quarter finals to come this weekend, we don't need England to STINK the place out or that DULLARD Hodgson to mess things up

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Hodgsons big mistake was taking Milner and leaving Andros Townsend at home we could have done with him last night.

Well we will never really know, but there were plenty of players we could of done without last night that we all thought we'd need ....

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
In a squad of 23 you should ALWAYS have some "jokers" (I know, they are ALL jokers)

Players who you throw on in CRISIS. As the absolutely shit or bust option.

Townsend and Carrol were those players. Townsend BEATS people .....but even then we had NAFF ALL in the air up top. Carroll isn't the GREATEST but my GOD he scares defenders.

He may never even get on in the tournament but yesterday was the EXACT situation where you need that fantastic option.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
In a squad of 23 you should ALWAYS have some "jokers" (I know, they are ALL jokers)

Players who you throw on in CRISIS. As the absolutely shit or bust option.

Townsend and Carrol were those players. Townsend BEATS people .....but even then we had NAFF ALL in the air up top. Carroll isn't the GREATEST but my GOD he scares defenders.

He may never even get on in the tournament but yesterday was the EXACT situation where you need that fantastic option.

Nah can't take them two.... they're in form and don't play for big name clubs....

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Among the first things each of them, Hodgson and the FA fella, said was that we have a good group of players. They're still telling us the same rubbish directly after the latest abject failure at a finals tournament. These players are simply not good enough - their first touch has been inferior to the good teams' from the off, not just last night. They show intelligent, purposeful movement off the ball and accurate, crisp passing only in short bursts, which is not enough - as we saw against Russia - to win a game, let alone a tournament. Waddle's comments were spot on, for me - these players believe what Sky keep telling everybody, that they're world class, that they're among the favourites, that they're playing in the best league in the world etc etc, ad bloody nauseum.

Until it's recognised by the FA that, in stark contrast to the constant diet of hype we're fed, our players are basically not good enough and, as it did in Spain, coaching needs to change from bottom to top across the entire structure of the English game, nothing is going to change. I didn't react when we scored last night. I didn't react when Iceland scored either of theirs, and even found myself laughing at our incompetence on occasion. It's become almost impossible to give a damn about them - and in my case has been ever since Rooney criicised a support who, having spent thousands of pounds and having waited to the end of the latest wretched performance to vent their ire, could only be described as 'long suffering' even then.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
:lolol: :lolol:

Clueless from both of us. Hodgson isn't average. He's SHIT.

That performance was disgraceful and completely undefendable. But the manager AND the players have to take responsibility for that.

The players seemed to forget how to do the basics, like pass to each other or trap the ball. However you can't blame a national manager of coaching those basic abilities out of them. (i'm at a struggle to explain why this happened though)

Too many players froze (reminds me of the 2nd leg of the play-off vs Palace under Gus) Like they thought it was a forgone conclusion and all they needed to do was turn up to win and then once they were struggling, couldn't find a way of improving (lack of on the field leadership?)

Roy should have laid into them at half time and really fired them up so they gave their all in the 2nd half (he may have, we don't know for sure) but whatever was said or done at half time didn't work.

They looked like a team that had never played together (you could even say that they picked at random 11 players with a non-footballing background less than half an hour before kick-off, people that had never met each other before and said you are the starting line up to play this match) They were the same line up (bar Sturridge for Lallana) as we had for the Russia game so i fail to understand how they could play together like this, it was almost like they wanted to go home asap and forget about football altogether until next season - if that's the players attitude, could any manager turn this around?

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
I gave him too much credit. Anyone who still wants to defend him please consider his pre-match comments about why he picked Sterling as being the key to beat this side and then the changes he made during the game. It might be an England manager disease as Hoddle aftertimed and contradicted his way through the second half punditry. I'll be honest, I am really not that bothered about England although I still really enjoy tournament football. I do, however, remember when I did (including travelling to support etc) and I know there will be loads of massively disappointed people this morning and they have my sympathy. The FA, on the other hand.....you reap what you sow.

He also said (a few months ago) that he would only pick players who were fit and in-form. O...kay.

He had Albrighton and Drinkwater at his disposal, nothing fancy for sure but every team needs water carriers and these two have just won the EPL. Even a spotty 12 year old could come up with two ready made formations, the Spurs one and Leicester one. Not saying that's the way to have done it but it couldn't have been worse.

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Up Next...Steered Boro to relegation !!
article-1285619-0022E09700000258-68_468x310.jpg

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
It's funny isn't it - it's fashionable these days to denigrate a 'blame culture' but good to talk about accountability. On either count it would have been great if Hodgson had shown just a bit of humility in today's press conference. Instead he was resentful and defensive (had he been a bit more defensive yesterday we would not have conceded 2 soft goals). No hint of a 'sorry, I let the supporters down' or even 'sure I made some mistakes'. No just 'it's one of those things'. And then the PR bozo from the FA began to talk about how we never punch our weight at tournaments rather than addressing the specific issue of losing against Iceland. It's one thing to go out on pens to a world class team but quite another to be caned by Iceland.
Bloody hell!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Why the hell did that useless prick get £3.5 million a year? How has it got this stupid?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Two awful press conferences in two days. A mediocre manager in charge of a poor squad. A very bitter man.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's funny isn't it - it's fashionable these days to denigrate a 'blame culture' but good to talk about accountability. On either count it would have been great if Hodgson had shown just a bit of humility in today's press conference. Instead he was resentful and defensive (had he been a bit more defensive yesterday we would not have conceded 2 soft goals). No hint of a 'sorry, I let the supporters down' or even 'sure I made some mistakes'. No just 'it's one of those things'. And then the PR bozo from the FA began to talk about how we never punch our weight at tournaments rather than addressing the specific issue of losing against Iceland. It's one thing to go out on pens to a world class team but quite another to be caned by Iceland.
Bloody hell!

Why can't Iceland be given any credit for playing well? This is the team that beat the Netherlands home and away. I find it galling the way bitter fans are denigrating them all the time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why can't Iceland be given any credit for playing well? This is the team that beat the Netherlands home and away. I find it galling the way bitter fans are denigrating them all the time.

I don't think anyone has degenerated Iceland, I've seen it widely acknowledged that they fully deserved their win. In fact they caught England off guard by being far more enterprising than the commonly assumed "parked bus" tactics we all thought they'd set up with from the off.

So great for them. But the bigger picture for us is another England debacle, a catastrophically humiliating result on a scale not witnessed in most of our lifetimes. I hope Iceland go on and beat the french, but I don't really care much. I'm more bothered about the state of us again (and yes, I AM still bothered!).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here