Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Sidwell

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It gives us flexibilty, the ability to rest Kayal or Stephens, and the possibility of going up to Hull etc. with a Kayal-Stephens-Sidwell central midfield, which may just help bring back 3 points.

If it was flexibility Hughton wanted, he'd have played one of the other 100 central midfielders we have on the books and shown flexibility in his tactical plans throughout the season I.e. In games such as 'Boro at home, but he hasn't done that.

Steve Sidwell was (and may still be) a PL class footballer, but I've seen enough of him to not think he's a big enough step up in quality to allow for a complete change in system at this stage of the season. Which suggests that he's going to either replace one of the first choice two in midfield (maybe there's an injury?) or he's bought as back up (and that's an expensive back up!).

I guess we'll see won't we! Here's to hoping he'll hit the ground running after just one game this season and just the 12 last...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Star on Sunday says he is prepared to drop a division from Stoke to get games Fulham and Reading interested, Could he be the man to get between Kayal and Stephens to l.ink with the strikers? My first thought was Yes but on reflection I wondeer if he is too similar to what we have

In case nobody else has done so, I salute you for starting this thread. Please can you now predict we are going to sign a proven premier quality goalscorer (and name him)?:clap2::bigwave:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I imagine that a review of Steve Sidwell's career, would read a liitle bit like my old school reports, 'should have done better'.

A player that seemingly offered so much promise that time Steve Coppell took the young Steve Sidwell on loan from Arsenal back in 2002.

For me, since, then though, he has rather flattered to deceive, despite a spell in the Premier League with Stoke City. Midfield is an area in which we are well covered at the moment, so to sign anyone who playes there, he would have be exceptional.

At 35 Steve Sidwell most certainly isn't that player. He isn't capable of providing the goals from midfield that we need.

What about at just turned 33?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If it was flexibility Hughton wanted, he'd have played one of the other 100 central midfielders we have on the books and shown flexibility in his tactical plans throughout the season I.e. In games such as 'Boro at home, but he hasn't done that.

Steve Sidwell was (and may still be) a PL class footballer, but I've seen enough of him to not think he's a big enough step up in quality to allow for a complete change in system at this stage of the season. Which suggests that he's going to either replace one of the first choice two in midfield (maybe there's an injury?) or he's bought as back up (and that's an expensive back up!).

I guess we'll see won't we! Here's to hoping he'll hit the ground running after just one game this season and just the 12 last...

I think it could well be that in games where Kayal and Stephens play, which has been most of them. He has never really had the option of taking them off when they get tired during a match because the replacements have not been good enough to steady things.

Sidwell would give him that option. It would also give him the option to rest one occasionally because this is a long season. Also even to play the 3 of them in away games to the top sides where the Priority is ''must not lose'' as opposed to ''must win''

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
BG is on fire! Derbyshire scores against us, then we sign Sidwell, will it be JLLoyd for the hat-trick!

humble pie, Mr. [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] :lolol:

Nah.................I think Bong will get back just in time to clear it off the line

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think it could well be that in games where Kayal and Stephens play, which has been most of them. He has never really had the option of taking them off when they get tired during a match because the replacements have not been good enough to steady things.

Sidwell would give him that option. It would also give him the option to rest one occasionally because this is a long season. Also even to play the 3 of them in away games to the top sides where the Priority is ''must not lose'' as opposed to ''must win''

I'm sure what you're saying is right on a theoretical level. I'm not negative about signing him per se, I just think the funds could've been better spent elsewhere as we don't really know his level anymore considering how little football he's played and considering we're well stacked in midfield areas, quantity wise at least. Personally I rate our other central midfielders higher than you though, so I disagree about the assertion that there weren't other options to steady or change things tactically.

Saying that, if the rumours of Kayal's hip injury are true, then I totally get it as Sidwell offers us experience until the end of the season effectively as a short-term replacement.

If, however, it's more to do with the fact that Hughton doesn't trust Crofts, Ince, Holla, Towell etc as replacements, then that's a serious serious worry, both in regards to his ability to develop players and find systems to suit players' respective strengths, and the effect that bringing in Sidwell could have on moral for the rest of the season.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Exactly this and puts to bed the drivel the other guy posted.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm sure what you're saying is right on a theoretical level. I'm not negative about signing him per se, I just think the funds could've been better spent elsewhere as we don't really know his level anymore considering how little football he's played and considering we're well stacked in midfield areas, quantity wise at least. Personally I rate our other central midfielders higher than you though, so I disagree about the assertion that there weren't other options to steady or change things tactically.

Saying that, if the rumours of Kayal's hip injury are true, then I totally get it as Sidwell offers us experience until the end of the season effectively as a short-term replacement.

If, however, it's more to do with the fact that Hughton doesn't trust Crofts, Ince, Holla, Towell etc as replacements, then that's a serious serious worry, both in regards to his ability to develop players and find systems to suit players' respective strengths, and the effect that bringing in Sidwell could have on moral for the rest of the season.

What do you mean it's a worry if Ch doesn't trust Ince,Holla,Towell etc? I keep saying this but i will say it again. We have lots of midfielders but most are bang average. Holla needs to go. Caskey needs to up his game. Ince is probably having an off season. I'm sure he rates Crofts. As for Towell, after tonight i'm not convinced one bit by him.

As for Sidwell that's a shrewd deal by the club. An experienced midfielder to help out. We have thrown a lot of points away in games but having someone like Sidwell will really help see out games. It's only a loan and so hardly breaking the bank.
Well done to the club

We can afford to rotate Sidwell,Kayal,Stephens and Crofts now.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Please don't worry about Chris' ability to develop players. I think you should worry more about those players you mention to be developed to the standard he wants. I don't include Towell in that statement though because he is not really up to speed with this division yet. The others should be there already. They have had long enough. I am not saying they are bad players and I am sure CH wouldn't either but they have hardly over achieved in the past

This is only his 2nd transfer window so he can't replace everyone who is not of the standard he knows is required to be successful in such a short space of time.

A Manager doesn't find systems to tickle the ears of a player. The players do what he wants them to do and if they cant or wont then they wont last the pace.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What do you mean it's a worry if Ch doesn't trust Ince,Holla,Towell etc? I keep saying this but i will say it again. We have lots of midfielders but most are bang average. Holla needs to go. Caskey needs to up his game. Ince is probably having an off season. I'm sure he rates Crofts. As for Towell, after tonight i'm not convinced one bit by him.

As for Sidwell that's a shrewd deal by the club. An experienced midfielder to help out. We have thrown a lot of points away in games but having someone like Sidwell will really help see out games. It's only a loan and so hardly breaking the bank.
Well done to the club

We can afford to rotate Sidwell,Kayal,Stephens and Crofts now.

This bit is interesting to me in particular. Take it you watched the U21's tonight then? If so, can you give a fuller assessment of Towell please as I'm interested to know more about him. Are you just making judgement on two games though?, tonight and against Hull. If so, is that not a bit harsh? Look forward to your feedback.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have yet to see Towell play but I don't always set too much store by players performances in the U21s.

Often when players are in the 1st team squad and on the bench but don't get on the pitch, the manager instructs the U21 coach to take them and give them 20 or 30 minutes game time just to keep them match fit and to try and ensure they don't pick up an injury.

The reports on Towell on this board have not been great but he is making the bench when others are not so he must be ahead of some of the others in the 'pecking order'' so I am interested in seeing him play

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
BG is on fire! Derbyshire scores against us, then we sign Sidwell, will it be JLLoyd for the hat-trick!

humble pie, Mr. [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] :lolol:

Fair play, he's got one right whereas I'm on a shocking run after questioning Zamora's inclusion in the starting XI before Saturday. :lolol:

Personally I don't find this a particularly inspiring signing but he's obviously only here as back up and if he's good enough for Hughton then I won't quibble!

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
I'm slightly perplexed by the signing of Sidwell considering where our squad needs strength. However I have always thought losing either of tkayal or Stephens would damage our chances of promotion considerably. Sidwell does reduce that concern.

I use to think that we need to give our youngster a chance and they are perfect substitutes. However, I think CH has a strength in getting the most out of players. This I think is down to team spirit, togetherness and competition. There is always cover for you should you not perform to your best.

Maybe the club has changed by installing quality in depth and throughout. We no longer need to hope that youngster will step up to grade due to injuries. Now you have to breakthrough on merit not circumstances. Then you also have to stay there on merit. This must be a proud time for a player to make it into our first 11.

With regards to Towell maybe the oldies and in this case Sidwell are helping them in their development.

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
This bit is interesting to me in particular. Take it you watched the U21's tonight then? If so, can you give a fuller assessment of Towell please as I'm interested to know more about him. Are you just making judgement on two games though?, tonight and against Hull. If so, is that not a bit harsh? Look forward to your feedback.

I can only make a judgement on what i saw tonight. Lets not forget players who go on trial only get a game or two to impress. If Towell was on trial i would n't sign him. He wasn't bad or anything but i saw nothing in him to make him stand out. Lets not forget he has plenty of experience and isn't under 21.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I have yet to see Towell play but I don't always set too much store by players performances in the U21s.

Often when players are in the 1st team squad and on the bench but don't get on the pitch, the manager instructs the U21 coach to take them and give them 20 or 30 minutes game time just to keep them match fit and to try and ensure they don't pick up an injury.

The reports on Towell on this board have not been great but he is making the bench when others are not so he must be ahead of some of the others in the 'pecking order'' so I am interested in seeing him play

Elvis is making the bench also. It shows how many injuries we have because lets face it Elvis has been bloody awful signing so far for a player who cost 1.5 million.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Elvis is making the bench also. It shows how many injuries we have because lets face it Elvis has been bloody awful signing so far for a player who cost 1.5 million.

Therein lies a tale - He is a hit and miss player but his attitude and body language doesn't help him and I just don't think the player himself realises that. he has potential if he were to apply himself.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I can only make a judgement on what i saw tonight. Lets not forget players who go on trial only get a game or two to impress. If Towell was on trial i would n't sign him. He wasn't bad or anything but i saw nothing in him to make him stand out. Lets not forget he has plenty of experience and isn't under 21.

OK, thanks for replying. Encouraging at least that you're not picking out faults such as poor first touch, misplaced passing, game awareness not great etc, etc.

I tend to agree with NooBHA's post further up, but then again us two haven't seen him play whereas at least you have. Fair play for going along tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here