Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeremy Clarkson Scandal.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Has everyone forgotten there is a game on tomorrow?

Frankly I really couldn't care less what Clarkson has or hasn't said right now. He has made a career out of being controversial anyway.

Is he going to score the winning goal tomorrow. I think not.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
I don't get any defence of Clarkson at all. I do not understand the premise he is offering that he did all he could to avoid saying something. You just don't say it, especially when the word is so obviously about to arrive. It is clearly a pre-determined outcome, thinking that the mumbling would be funny in an 'I am so aware of my own ironic behaviour' way.

He is just a naughty public school boy type, who can't see that his actions (that he commits for money (c) Stewart Lee) are anything but a jolly jape. The naughtiness of saying N***** but not really saying it probably gave him a stiffy, in a manoeuvre akin to spanking his fag on the arse.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Has everyone forgotten there is a game on tomorrow?

Frankly I really couldn't care less what Clarkson has or hasn't said right now. He has made a career out of being controversial anyway.

Is he going to score the winning goal tomorrow. I think not.

I think Barnes is going to get our winner!

0-0 for us.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I don't think Jereny Clarkson is a racist, more somebody who says things just to get a reaction out of people, just like that other master of unfunny Frankie Boyle. Personally, I'd be happy not to have to pay at least a very small percentage of his wages and I think he's a repugnant individual but I think he's said equally bad things and got away with it so he probably will for this.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wow, great thread to spend my lunch 'hour' (15 mins) reading. Couple of thoughts :

-calling people 'ethnics' would be a dismissable offence in my company (and the two I previously worked for) I suspect (would certainly be an immediate gross misconduct charge). Referring to 'people from ethnic minorities' would not. Agree or disagree, it's the way it is. I agree with the comments in relation to the 'banter' about stereotypical nicknames - sounds very clearly like bullying, harrassment and victimisation to me. Again this was common in workplaces 30 years ago, but not in the last 15/20 in my experience.

-I'm a similar age to Clarkson, the rhyme always included the offending word when I was growing up, and I will have used it myself. I absolutely would not do so now though.

-Clarkson should know that too. Three takes ? 'Tried not to use it' ?? FFS, just DON'T use it you tw*t. You know you have cameras trained on you all the time.........so if you're a racist you'll soon be exposed

-I also note from reports he first denied saying it, now he's apologising for saying it

-To claim he didn't know that 'slope' was offensive is highly suspect IMHO given the time and context in which he used it. It won't help his defence.

It has all been blown out of proportion, but as it's the BEEB, and there are politics and hidden agendas at play, this won't rest. I doubt he'll survive it.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I have since seen it substituted with "tiger", quite possibly in a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon, and that's what I used on the kids when they were younger.
That's the word we used when I was growing up in the 1970s.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
How many people who are up in arms at this have actually delved any deeper than the salacious headline?

The rhyme is one a lot of us use, albeit not past the first line. he used it in full, mumbling the offensive word. They did about 3 takes, and he rejected the ones where he mumbled it as he felt it could still be vaguely picked up if you enhanced the sound. So, that wasn't broadcast.

Yep, that's what editing rooms are for. You try something, and decides which ones work, and which ones don't. It was not broadcast, but a Red-top rag formerly edited by a man who has a long-running feud with Clarkson managed to uncover the discarded clip, and run with a complete NON-STORY.

I suppose it's better than them running with made-up stories about our servicemen urinating on prisoners of war, but really, you'd think they could have actually come up with some NEWS for their daily comic.

I guess Piers Moron has little else to do after his US talk show was axed, so why not try to make further trouble for the man who delighted at his show being axed. Like or loathe Clarkson, no-one in their right mind can avoid smiling at the thought of him repeatedly punching Piers. We all have to admire him for that, and the comment he made about it "I realised that punching him in the face was never going to get boring, so I did it again" was beautiful.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
heres me thinking the inquisitions where over, i once worked with various ethnics including a few English lads Pakistanis and Indians, we each had nicknames relating to our various ethnic stereotypes. if people couldn't handle the banter they were shown the door or made so uncomfortable they found other employment. Clarkson can say what the hell he likes, so long as it is in jest which im sure it was.
So if they didn't like being racially abused they were frozen out. Nice.

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
I've spent 15 or so minutes or so reading through this thread and one question springs to mind .... why is it that when a (and I apologise if this offends) "caucasian" person uses the N word (and the use of it is WRONG) it offends yet when a "non caucasian" uses it to speak to another "non caucasian" its ok ???

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
The hypocrisy annoys me, nothing will be done about it though.

It's not a competition remember. You can always set the standard yourself!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I've spent 15 or so minutes or so reading through this thread and one question springs to mind .... why is it that when a (and I apologise if this offends) "caucasian" person uses the N word (and the use of it is WRONG) it offends yet when a "non caucasian" uses it to speak to another "non caucasian" its ok ???

It does seem like it's similar to insulting someones family. It's ok to insult your own family, but when someone else does it, naah, you can't help but rear up.

I completely agree with your sentiment.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think I agree with James May's tweet. I don't think he is deliberately racist (not that it absolves him of blame) but he is a prize idiot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here