Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fat Albion XI

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I seem to recall Frank Stapleton displaying glacial pace when he had that mercifully short lived spell with the Albion. Also, that he looked like he'd been enjoying the onset of his retirement a little too much.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Hopefully I've missed it but it'd be a travesty if this thread got 42 posts in without a mention of a certain Mr. Guy Butters.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
6a6ac6bb70d26028baad0d122d19f9d7.jpg

The mighty Warren Aspinall, 2001

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I seem to recall Frank Stapleton displaying glacial pace when he had that mercifully short lived spell with the Albion. Also, that he looked like he'd been enjoying the onset of his retirement a little too much.
Very this - with the acceleration and pace of a broken down bus in reverse.

Also in opposition, Mick Channon playing for Portsmouth at the end of his career, inspired the song "He's fat, he's round, his arse is on the ground, Mick Channon, Mick Channon"... repeat until bored, or until he wobbled back on-side.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Yeah, I just thought of Mundee. Not sure that Peake was that fat though, just lazy

What was the name of the midfielder we had on loan about 15 years ago. Didn't play much but tackled someone with his head in one game? He was no slim Jim

Peake was a chunky monkey when he joined for sure. Thighs the size of two oak trees and an arse like a pair of planets colliding in a pair of pants!

Seem to recall the midfielder tackling with his head but not sure who he was.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And in goal for the oppo.... Neville Southall (the Torquay years) :)

He was enormous ... but I remember, big as he was, playing pretty well against us.

There's a pretty decent all-star opposition team we could put together: Micky Quinn, Jan Molby, John Robertson, Andy Reid ...

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Cheating a bit here, but I've never seen the stripes quite so stretched as when Albion manager Alan Mullery played in a testimonial at the Goldstone.
And took a penalty I seem to remember.
It may have been Graham Moseley's game.
Someone will put me right.

I always thought it was Grummitt's game in 1978, but according to [MENTION=12839]Goldstone Rapper[/MENTION] and his excellent blog, it was O'Sullivan's game in April 1980.

What a unit.

mullerypenalty2.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here