Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Games of the XXXI Olympiad

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you look at the photo, most of the other runners also had their foot on or just over the line.
Sounds pretty unfair.

I don't think you could say he actually started running outside the lines, though I don't know how strictly they interpret it. Has to be said, though, it was a pretty stupid mistake to give them a chace to disqualify them. It's not difficult really. Just stay within the lines.
I don't know the rule, only going on what the commentators said - if you're allowed to stand past the line, as long as you don't start running, then it wasn't a mistake.

And why the taekwondo guy didn't just jump away with one second left I'll never know. He must be in pieces.
Just one of those things, a split second mistake. Thankfully it doesn't look like it will affect our final position in the table, because that would be awful.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
One for you then, leaving aside the technicality of competing under the Olympic flag in 1980:

Q. Who are the only 5 countries to have competed at every modern Olympics since 1896?

Avoiding the ease of pumping a few words into the search engines, I'll go with:

Great Britain, Sweden, Netherlands, Australia, Italy.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Oo. GB, France, Switzerland. Maybe Italy. Don't know.

Cheat! Disqualified.

You're not supposed to look the ****ing answer up!

Google is the enemy of pub quizzes everywhere!

GB is also the only country of those 5 to have won a gold medal at every Olympics since 1896.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
One for you then, leaving aside the technicality of competing under the Olympic flag in 1980:

Q. Who are the only 5 countries to have competed at every modern Olympics since 1896?

A little bit of research suggests that there maybe a sixth, although an athletes participation in the St Louis games of 1904 is not confirmed. Shame, as it was one of the countries I guessed !

Apparently, Great Britain is the only 'ever present' at both summer and winter- although the Jamaican bobsleigh team are generally more successful.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Avoiding the ease of pumping a few words into the search engines, I'll go with:

Great Britain, Sweden, Netherlands, Australia, Italy.

Good effort. France & Greece in place of Sweden and Netherlands though. If useless trivia was a subject at university, I would have a doctorate in it. The other one I know off the top of my head is the 12 countries that have competed at every winter Olympics -

Austria, Canada, Finland, France, Great Britain, Hungary, Italy, Norway, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland and the United States

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
New question:

No ego stroking by looking things up...

Which nation's model of sports excellence formed the blueprint of the post Atlanta GB success ?

Which Olympics Games was the 'watershed' moment for that country's turn in sporting fortunes ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
New question:

No ego stroking by looking things up...

Which nation's model of sports excellence formed the blueprint of the post Atlanta GB success ?

Which Olympics Games was the 'watershed' moment for that country's turn in sporting fortunes ?

Blueprint based on Australia's model?

Was it 1976 at Montreal when they didn't do very well and implemented it all? Could have been Munich in 1972, but I'll stick with Montreal.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Blueprint based on Australia's model?

Was it 1976 at Montreal when they didn't do very well and implemented it all? Could have been Munich in 1972, but I'll stick with Montreal.

Another gold medal !

A last question, and I owe you a drink if you can get this one....

Great Britain willl be only the second country to increase its medal total at five successive Olympics should we cross the 65 mark (as is likely). Who was the first to do this ?

A totally redundant crumb of a clue: They managed it on Friday with a Taekwondo gong.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Another gold medal !

A last question, and I owe you a drink if you can get this one....

Great Britain willl be only the second country to increase its medal total at five successive Olympics should we cross the 65 mark (as is likely). Who was the first to do this ?

A totally redundant crumb of a clue: They managed it on Friday with a Taekwondo gong.

Stumped me on that one. Ivory Coast? Complete guess.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Looks like Tom Daly is blowing big time in the semifinal. He's last. Ah well. Always thought he was a bit overrated. I guess he could turn to his media work presenting another series of 'Splash' or talk about 'cock' on Celebrity Juice...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here