Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So, quick one, I've had Bi for about 4 years now, according to Strava I've done 4000 miles on her; rain wind and snow. I've only changed tyres, cables, chain and front mech. I bought it off a friend who may have also done a few 1000 miles on her too.

Anyway, BB is loose, took her in to LBS and we get into chat about whole groupset replacement as given we might be upward of 5000 miles, might be worth doing rather than doing one bit at a time. Current groupset is fishing tackle 105. They even suggested getting a deal of Chain Reaction or something and they'd fit it as they can't compete on groupset prices and would have to get it in special.

So, fishing tackle groupset Ultegra is about £430 plus say £150 to fit. A new 105 set would be £240. Would you always upgrade? Is it best to stick with the fishing tackle if that is already what the bike is set up with? Am I better doing just the BB, chainset and drive chain, or is a wholesale groupset change the way to go? I can always use the stripped off components on another bike. Must admit rear mech is looking a bit beaten up and as I've said before on this forum is only doing 9 gears instead of 10. LBS reckoned the springs inside can go, but could also could be the hanger to be fair which I don't think is dead vertical.

Decisions decisions.
Oh and another thing, a 30 second look at Wiggle CR and Evans at fishing tackle groupsets in that price range is all 11 speed.
If that is the case and what your looking at you need to check if the new cassette is compatible with your current wheel hub.

Also another bike with the old groupset might not be compatible with the new gs, as and when more hand-me-downs become available in the future.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A cracking stage, again today.
Well at least the last 25kms that I saw were great.

I do like the Strada Bianche style roads, probably because I'm not riding them, they only ever seem to go up him!?!! :lol:

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing

I do like the Strada Bianche style roads, probably because I'm not riding them, they only ever seem to go up him!?!! :lol:

just wanted to pop my head in and say thank you for the recommendation the "MSG" I took my bike down earlier and the people are lovely. I told them that someone recommended them to me. they was pleased and after leaving my bike they told me to tell you that they have a half price sale on clothes...
thank you :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Superb stage to watch today. Some aggressive GC action, from AVV in particular, thrilling descending and a very worthy stage winner.

I was almost as pleased for Brambilla today as I was gutted for The Albion last night. Real emotional roller coaster stuff!

Did you see the way he kept kissing the Maglia Rosa during the podium ceremony and the way he bounced and jumped on for his stage win presentation? Brilliant stuff! He was like a little kid whose dreams have all come true!

The Brambilla fantasy selection has at least reaped it's first objective, which was always this stage win in particular, a possible top 20 GC, a couple more possible targeted stage wins and also those Kittel assist points. Given the luck I've been having lately, on many levels, I didn't put a penny on him either. So that worked.

On the other hand. I lost Viviani from my team today as he was OTL. Must be ill or something. I mainly put him in as counter to everyone else having Kittel or Modolo, plus for the points jersey comp and also possible assist points from Landa later on. That hasn't worked out quite so well after all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Superb stage to watch today. Some aggressive GC action, from AVV in particular, thrilling descending and a very worthy stage winner.

I was almost as pleased for Brambilla today as I was gutted for The Albion last night. Real emotional roller coaster stuff!

Did you see the way he kept kissing the Maglia Rosa during the podium ceremony and the way he bounced and jumped on for his stage win presentation? Brilliant stuff! He was like a little kid whose dreams have all come true!

The Brambilla fantasy selection has at least reaped it's first objective, which was always this stage win in particular, a possible top 20 GC, a couple more possible targeted stage wins and also those Kittel assist points. Given the luck I've been having lately, on many levels, I didn't put a penny on him either. So that worked.

On the other hand. I lost Viviani from my team today as he was OTL. Must be ill or something. I mainly put him in as counter to everyone else having Kittel or Modolo, plus for the points jersey comp and also possible assist points from Landa later on. That hasn't worked out quite so well after all.
My 4 fantasy big hitters all rolled in one after another, from 7th to 10th.
I'm enjoying Bob Jungles effort, he's looking more and more like 'the new Tom Dumoulin!!' :lol:.

No worries [MENTION=27939]Zukey Seagull[/MENTION], even if they only do half the job I expect of them, you should be very pleased.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My 4 fantasy big hitters all rolled in one after another, from 7th to 10th.
I'm enjoying Bob Jungles effort, he's looking more and more like 'the new Tom Dumoulin!!' :lol:.

No worries [MENTION=27939]Zukey Seagull[/MENTION], even if they only do half the job I expect of them, you should be very pleased.

Bob Jungels was the first name on my team sheet, and that's even knowing that there's no points for the young rider jersey in this game. Huge potential there, although he seems such a decent all rounder that I'm not quite sure what direction he'll end up going in.

I think I did the opposite of miss the boat when it comes to Kruijswijk :facepalm: More like I used to put him to sea before he was fully ship shape and he kept letting in water and sinking without trace. I always had him down as the next Gesink, but one that would actually live up to the promise. He was often in my teams as a cheap climbing option that I was always waiting to come really really good. Unfortunately he never did, so I gave up picking him. Looks like his time might finally be coming now though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The only rider I'm kicking myself over is Amador.
I meant to sign him, then got distracted by something shiny and ended up with Betencor :facepalm:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The only rider I'm kicking myself over is Amador.
I meant to sign him, then got distracted by something shiny and ended up with Betencor :facepalm:

Shouldn't that be...got distracted by cake and pizza so ended up with Betancur???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shouldn't that be...got distracted by cake and pizza so ended up with Betancur???
No it wasn't even that exciting.
I was quite possibly just bored of team selection and wanted to go back to ruminating over which country to represent.

Either way it'll end up with a lot of points dropped.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Shame the ITT was spoiled by rain today. At least it was a level playing field for the GC lot. Gutted for Zakarin as he was flying until his 1st crash. 3 bike changes in total now means he's slipped well down on GC whereas he was all set to easily stay in top 3 GC today. Oh well, perhaps poor bike handling as well as bad luck cost him here.
Nice ride from Brambilla & Jungels. Really pleased Brambilla holds onto pink.
Fair play to Roglic as well. May well have won the stage anyway without the massive weather advantage. Seems to have a bright future in cycling. There must be something to being said for be a ski jumper first :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah shame about Zakarin, someone always has to 'pay' in an ITT, today it was him.

Some great riding from the geeks today, chapeau chaps.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just had a look. ELEVEN people managed over 100 miles this week. It used to be enough for a top three spot!
For reasons unknown, (but probably a bit sad!!) I get a lot of enjoyment when we geeks smash our way around the country, posting big numbers.

Tricky's route profile today is brilliant when remembering the nose bleeds he used to get bumping up a kerb. :lol:.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Just had a look. ELEVEN people managed over 100 miles this week. It used to be enough for a top three spot!

Yeah I nearly posted about that myself but I'm still stunned by that fella last week doing 30% of my 2015 climbing total. You had beat Tricky by 0.1m distance today didn't you!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just caught the last knockings of ToC. Absolute masterclass of sprinting by Sagan! The way he just jumped from wheel to wheel was superb to watch from the overhead view.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
A couple of photos my friend in San Diego sent over last night....thought you guys would like to see them.

Attachments

• amgen.jpg
    amgen.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 96
  • amgen1.jpg
    amgen1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here