Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The good, the bad and the Brighton - Croydon Advertiser

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can you explain to me how the fab four and and these two new Yanks paying for a new ground or upgrading Selhurst, without any debt on the club, is an investment, but when Bloom did the same at the Amex and the training ground, that this is cheating in the eyes of many of the numpties on the BBS?

I do believe that when Tony had our stadium and training ground built, that lot questioned his wealth but then boasted that their 'fab four' were all equally as wealthy as Bloom.
Now it appears that the four of them need American dollars to help them.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
I do believe that when Tony had our stadium and training ground built, that lot questioned his wealth but then boasted that their 'fab four' were all equally as wealthy as Bloom.

Our income and expenditure are miles higher than yours. Would Bloom have been able to afford the Amex while paying a handful of players £80k+ per week?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Our income and expenditure are miles higher than yours. Would Bloom have been able to afford the Amex while paying a handful of players £80k+ per week?

We've not been in a position to offer those sort of wages, because we pay our bills. That meant staying in a lower division and trying to compete for less well paid players. It's called decency.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

I think he may have paid those sums for players in the same way the fab four are, with Sky money not there own.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

I'm not sure that really makes sense, considering how much SKY (against modern football etc etc) money you're getting ... I doubt any of your players' wages comes out of the owners' pockets.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
We've not been in a position to offer those sort of wages, because we pay our bills. That meant staying in a lower division and trying to compete for less well paid players. It's called decency.

I think you would find the Palace playing side budget that was promoted a couple of years ago, was less than the BHA , so your point is not so relevant.

Of all the other points about investment by these yanks, there's little point arguing about it as there in FA we can do about it..its the way of the world these day I am afraid.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think you would find the Palace playing side budget that was promoted a couple of years ago, was less than the BHA , so your point is not so relevant.

Of all the other points about investment by these yanks, there's little point arguing about it as there in FA we can do about it..its the way of the world these day I am afraid.

You were in the Premier League a couple of years ago, so the point is relevant.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I suppose until Brighton are one of the top 10 teams in the country like blah blah blah....................

Yawn. Last thing I would ever do is post on a Palace forum but I suppose all you saddos are welcome and all that. Well done for establishing yourselves in the PL.

But when you get your new stadium and fill it with 40k every home game, will it be a case of not being JCL's? Just the fact that you had a shyt stadium and the potential was always there and Palace could ACTUALLY fill a 100k stadium?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Yawn. Last thing I would ever do is post on a Palace forum but I suppose all you saddos are welcome and all that. Well done for establishing yourselves in the PL.

But when you get your new stadium and fill it with 40k every home game, will it be a case of not being JCL's? Just the fact that you had a shyt stadium and the potential was always there and Palace could ACTUALLY fill a 100k stadium?

Palace could not fill my washbasin with dirty crockery.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
My own view is that their team is too good for their fans. We should have their team. A run down area like Croydon,(they burnt their own town down) does not deserve where they are in the league. Very small crowds for their league position.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Probably doesn't want them to get bigger or their facilities to be world class? Possibly also doesn't want a well run community club and would rather mug off the local businesses and St Johns than work with them? I'm just guessing, of course... :)

I'm guessing they don't want the Brighton/Bloomton parallel with potentially an American owner rather than an Australian one.

Palace have rather come unstuck with one-man owners, think Simon Jordan and another guy before him in the late 1990's whose name escapes me.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

I don't know how the Fab 4 have acquired their wealth, but I do wonder whether internet betting is the healthiest source of revenue stream, not just for Albion, but Brentford as well and a couple of other teams. A major internet betting fixing scandal and Greg Dyke and others at the FA would be left with little choice but to examine whether clubs financed by owners who might potentially gain from "fixed" games is the way forward.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I don't know how the Fab 4 have acquired their wealth, but I do wonder whether internet betting is the healthiest source of revenue stream, not just for Albion, but Brentford as well and a couple of other teams. A major internet betting fixing scandal and Greg Dyke and others at the FA would be left with little choice but to examine whether clubs financed by owners who might potentially gain from "fixed" games is the way forward.

You know absolutely **** all.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
You know absolutely **** all.

Oh dear, it's "Put my hands over my ears" time again. Face it, the revenue stream for Brighton's wealthy owner depends on people's ability worldwide to hazard a guess on the results of sporting fixtures. Including football. And if you'd listened to Radio 4 this morning, you would have appreciated just how worldwide the interest is in our League, still believed by the betting fraternity in the Far East to be unsullied.

As was of course our Summer national sport, cricket..

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Oh dear, it's "Put my hands over my ears" time again. Face it, the revenue stream for Brighton's wealthy owner depends on people's ability worldwide to hazard a guess on the results of sporting fixtures. Including football. And if you'd listened to Radio 4 this morning, you would have appreciated just how worldwide the interest is in our League, still believed by the betting fraternity in the Far East to be unsullied.

How so?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

I think this extract on a report about Tony Blooms fortune is a bit more reliable than yours

"Mentions of Bloom usually refer to his "Lizard" nickname, a reference to his cold-blooded style in high-stakes poker, and the money he made in the online betting industry. But his considerable wealth comes from a diverse portfolio that is largely based on property and investment"

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I think this extract on a report about Tony Blooms fortune is a bit more reliable than yours

"Mentions of Bloom usually refer to his "Lizard" nickname, a reference to his cold-blooded style in high-stakes poker, and the money he made in the online betting industry. But his considerable wealth comes from a diverse portfolio that is largely based on property and investment"

Looks like it's "Put my hands over my ears" time again [MENTION=13666]Danny-Boy[/MENTION]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Thank you, saved me the trouble of typing it yet again. Our silly friends up the road, really believe that Tony Bloom made millions just from betting. He has property all over the world.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
My own view is that their team is too good for their fans. We should have their team. A run down area like Croydon,(they burnt their own town down) does not deserve where they are in the league. Very small crowds for their league position.

It's far too good for you as well. The current Palace squad is better than anything that Palace or Brighton have ever had in the past.

There's not much more we can do about the attendances at the moment; hence why we're investing in the stadium.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here