Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Being called ' Mate'. When is it ok?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I am fine with mate as long as its not from some sales shit or similar. I hate being called "Sir" more. Edit to add regionaly babe, luv, duck iare also fine.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Mate is a great get out when you forget a name, but I call everyone mate, except girlies and I hate it when they say mate (whole new story), it happens, don't get upset mate.

Edit: I have more time for people calling me mate when they knock me sideways in a rush hour train than some woman that just looks at you like a piece of sh!t.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Personally the only time I dont think its acceptable is when a parent calls their kid 'mate'. No he/she isnt your 'mate' they are your child and teach them some respect for parents and others. Cannot stand that. Starts there and then you get them treating teachers as mates and then the law and thats a downward spirial from there. Call a lot of people 'mate' I meet but never ever my kids. Love them to bits, but they arent my 'mate', their my kids and that is a lot more to me than a 'mate'.

Each to their own. My son is the most polite, respectful kid you could ever want to meet (ask his teachers, cricket coaches, other kids' parents etc) and I call him "mate" all the time. Because he's also my best mate.

He's also learnt that words do not define meaning but the use of them does.

Maybe at ten years old he gets that better than you do? Or maybe I'm still waiting for the downward spiral to kick in.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Most people I meet tend to get called mate, nothing to do with social attitudes more to do with a bloody awful memory for names.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Fine when it is a mate saying it. But is it ok for shopworkers, bar staff and waiters to call you it. Should a waiter say it ? Well. I don't like it.
How do you feel?

Next time it happens, you respond, in a quietly aggressive voice, "I aint your ****ing mate, PAL!" and stab them up.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I rather like 'mate or pal, or even fella, but, I cannot stand being called ' young man'

I'm 58 years old.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Each to their own. My son is the most polite, respectful kid you could ever want to meet (ask his teachers, cricket coaches, other kids' parents etc) and I call him "mate" all the time. Because he's also my best mate.

He's also learnt that words do not define meaning but the use of them does.

Maybe at ten years old he gets that better than you do? Or maybe I'm still waiting for the downward spiral to kick in.
I call mine mate too, I don't think it makes them any less respectful. I agree that they take this meaning as a affectionate term rather than actually thinking I am their mate.

My old man used to call me batman when I was a kid (no, I don't know why either) and I never once thought I was batman.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I reckon its a Brighton thing, when I joined the army in the early eighties many didnt quite get it, apart from the fact that the Scottish, Welsh, Irish, West Country, Midlands, Geordies, East anglians etc all thought I was from London.
I no longer live in Brighton and now the word used is fella, its not and neither is mate a first person name but a third person term. Such as tu and vous in French, if it offends anyone, just communicate that to the sender of the term, simples.

Not a Brighton thing, they do it here in Kent too. Doesn't bother me, in fact it mildly amuses me when a 20 year old calls me, a nearly 60 year old "mate" - as if!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
image.jpeg

but You Can Call Me Al ...

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I call mine mate too, I don't think it makes them any less respectful. I agree that they take this meaning as a affectionate term rather than actually thinking I am their mate.

My old man used to call me batman when I was a kid (no, I don't know why either) and I never once thought I was batman.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I always call my son 'mate', he's a pretty decent and respectful kid. He's nearly 18, and I'm pretty sure he isn't stealing cars or dealing drugs. Not sure when this downward spiral kicks in.

I'm worried now, I call the grandkids 'pickle' are they going to think they are pickles?

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Mate is a great get out when you forget a name, but I call everyone mate, except girlies and I hate it when they say mate (whole new story), it happens, don't get upset mate.

Edit: I have more time for people calling me mate when they knock me sideways in a rush hour train than some woman that just looks at you like a piece of sh!t.

Lady issues, mate?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I always call my son 'mate', he's a pretty decent and respectful kid. He's nearly 18, and I'm pretty sure he isn't stealing cars or dealing drugs. Not sure when this downward spiral kicks in.

I'm worried now, I call the grandkids 'pickle' are they going to think they are pickles?

Can't help you with the pickles but me and Robin can sort out the car stealing and drug dealing (although your boy will have to adopt a theme around his law breaking, without that we are not much use).

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Really not in favour of the duming down of titles it's all a little to much American/Australian for my taste examples being;

Mate; Australian term for anything with testicles
Sheila; Australian term for anything without testicles
Buddy; American term for someone in a better financial position than oneself for example Buddy can you spare a dime
Dame; American term for attractive ladies can be added to swell when referring to larger ladies as in she sure is a swell Dame

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
You most likely don't like it because of a socially learned feeling of superiority you have over shopworkers, bar staff and waiters.

When someone calls another person 'mate' they are expressing a desire to form a bond with a fellow human being, in a very British way. It's usually a very positive social interaction, so it's a shame that you dislike it, or that you feel you are superior to them, purely on the basis that they are people working in these types of jobs.

If they were working in professions that you respected more, then you would surely not feel such contempt towards them calling you 'mate'.

I think you should reflect on this, and consider that we are all equal despite the professions that we have. Perhaps them calling you 'mate' is a compliment that you are worthy of their empathy.. and maybe consider calling them 'mate' back. It might make them feel good.

What total tosh.

In answer to the op, never

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Mate is okay, though not particularly professional. Fella, buddy, and the absolute worst of all , Matey are unacceptable. I always cocnlude that people who call others matey generally don't have friends.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I don’t think some people know it’s possible not to inanely keep adding mate fella buddy pal and most irritating of all, guys, on the end or beginning of everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here