Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton station trouble

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I always find these huge queues so unnecessary. It's Brighton. There is plenty to do rather than queue in the cold. I understand the desperation to get on your way to the ground but it's not gonna get anyone there quicker.

I never said I was in the queue. :thumbsup:

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
I would not bb lame the railway company.
It's the work shy employees that are to blame.
The guards phoned in late with stress causing the company to cancel the trains.
The staff and unions knew this would cause bad publicity for the company and it worked.
But you guys keep backing the unions....

albionite

May 20, 2009
The staff and unions knew this would cause bad publicity for the company and it worked.
Gulliable idiot

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

It's 2016. As much as you'd like to think it's the 1970s like Southern even they couldn't use that excuse this time.

The company is a car crash. The ones I genuinely respect are the ones who don't strike, take abuse on a daily basis but still don't know what the f@@@ is going on.

You only need to read their negative attempt at Public Relations, paying for posters at stations blaming the Unions.

Please go away. I only have to put up with them from Balham to Clapham Junction fortunately. Brilliant staff trying their best but you can see it in their faces. When you have more information via your mobile than they bother to give their staff its time for a change.

Last edited:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing

:fishing:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Think OP knew what he was doing when he typed subject of thread. Guarantees more hits.:catfight:

Indeed. I've been duped ???

That's 5 minutes of my life I'm not getting back. Thanks OP :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If we are promoted and, say, beat Chelsea 3-0 (O'Grady, Manu, Terry o.g.) then if Southern provide a similar level of incompetence there will be serious disorder as patience will have worn thin.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
How someone didn't die on Friday I do not know. Trains canceled left, right and centre pre and post game, huge queues, crushes. It was a recipe for absolute disaster.

And this was a Championship game on a Friday night on television. Imagine if we do go up and we have Arsenal, United or Chelsea with their away support, plus the numbers they will have in the home end. And that happens again.

It is only a matter of time before someone is killed trying to get too or from the Amex

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Our Ref: HSR/4/5
21st November 2016
Ian Prosser
HM Chief Inspector of Railways
ORR
One Kemble Street
London
WC2B 4AN
Dear Ian
FALMER - SOUTHERN – SERIOUS SAFETY CONCERNS & FAILURE TO PREPARE & PLAN
I write again over the failure of Southern to deliver a service that is safe for passengers to use. The scenario that developed at Brighton and Falmer railway stations on Friday night, 18th November, for the Brighton & Hove Albion V Aston Villa football game is quite simply unacceptable and is creating serious issues relating to the safety of passengers and workers who are doing so much to ensure that a service is maintained. Southern have a duty to ensure that passengers are safe in their during their interaction with the railway in terms of access to stations and their onward journey unfortunately clear evidence is showing that it is not.
Despite public investment, following concerns raised by RMT over Health and Safety issues at Falmer, where platforms have been extended, signals re-sighted, improved signage and barriers at ramp ends, Southern have failed to use those improvements for the benefit of passengers. They constantly fail to utilise the opportunity for that increased capacity and, as we observed on Friday evening, they operate with 3 car trains that will not carry the number of fans in the time/space available to them.
This is causing serious safety concerns and it is only a matter of time before we have wholesale public disturbances, with railway employees being on the front line of the anger that GTR / Southern are wholly responsible for creating.
On Friday there were at least 11 driver duties and at least 8 guard duties left uncovered. Most of the guard jobs were late turns and this would have covered the evening football match. It calls again into question, just what are Southern management doing to ensure a reliable and safe railway is in place and working and ensuring that their own staff and employees are safe whilst doing their duty?
It leads me to ask several questions about what Southern are doing in relation to organising for events across their network. They were well aware that the crowd for the game was going to be larger than usual.
• Did they plan enough skilled staff to deal and cope with that situation; was there enough R.N.O.’s, B.T.P., Barrier Security and Managers available before, during and after the football match?
• Were the Southern management aware of the post match difficulties and issues? If so what did they do to alleviate them after the match? The ground capacity is 30,750 and Friday’s match attracted an attendance of 30,107. We believe that at least 30% of fans utilise the railway and Southern would need to have plans in place under their Safety Certificate for their safe travel. These fans would be on platforms late into the night following a highly charged competitive and challenging football match?
• Were sufficient train crew in place to move the large numbers of expected fans between locations to Falmer?
• Was sufficient stock available to ensure capacity was available to move the fans?
• Was an emergency plan in place should there be an accident, train delays, sickness, incident or any other serious football related issue as we saw over the weekend with floodlight failure ensuring that games finished much later than expected ?
I am certain that there are other questions waiting to be asked, not least from observations and comments made by fans to Southern/GTR through the press and social media. I know that comments were made at Falmer station by stranded passengers who were calling for the army to be brought in and seeking directions for walking along the tracks back home after the game was finished.
This is serious and unprecedented in recent times and things must change. I ask you to undertake an immediate investigation and report the findings back to me upon completion, and further support my demand that GTR halt their implementation of DOO. Please see the link below for additional report from fans.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/fan-sleeps-amex-stadium-amid-12205617

Yours sincerely
Mick Cash
General Secretary

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Why has Cash bundled in DOO to the end of his letter? Friday night had nothing to do with DOO did it? It was just utter incompetence from Southern coupled with staff not bothering to turn up

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Ironically, if Brighton to Lewes was DOO, that empty train could've stopped...
That is presuming the guard supposed to be working on it didn't have a runny nose, phoned in sick and then the whole bloody train ends up being cancelled

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here