Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Bonfire guidelines. Ridiculous

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I am assuming the Brighton trains will be heaving - does it make any sense to park at Glynde and train in from there ?

I usually get there at 5pmish and park on the Malling estate (NE of Lewes), then its easy to get back through the tunnel onto the A27 afterwards. 15 minutes walk from the town centre, 5 minutes from Waterloo's fire site and no queuing at the station.

If you are coming from Brighton way then maybe up by the prison somewhere, bit more of a walk and a choice of Borough or Commercial fire sites

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Let me know if you want any advice and ignore the naysayers. Haven't missed it for fifteen years and I love it.

Cheers I may think of something.

I always ignore naysayers!

Oh dear, what a terrible idea! You should never ignore the naysayers. Nothing good will ever come of it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I am assuming the Brighton trains will be heaving - does it make any sense to park at Glynde and train in from there ?

Then take a spooky walk up Caburn and watch the rituals from there. Ignore the witches sacrifices on the way. It's a local thing.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
I usually get there at 5pmish and park on the Malling estate (NE of Lewes), then its easy to get back through the tunnel onto the A27 afterwards. 15 minutes walk from the town centre, 5 minutes from Waterloo's fire site and no queuing at the station.

If you are coming from Brighton way then maybe up by the prison somewhere, bit more of a walk and a choice of Borough or Commercial fire sites
A27 shut

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
My first one actually marching. Look out for Skull drummery who'll be marching with Cliffe....i'll have a can of old speckled hen in one hand and a drumstick in t'other.

You don't by any chance know a Mr Birks, I think is with the Cliff society and a West Ham supporter. Known him for many years.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
With regards to Lewes on the 5th.

Although many of the locals will disagree, the best thing to do is to drive into Lewes early on...maybe at midday, and park on one of the estates (not ours !!! lol). Walk into town, have lunch, soak up the atmosphere, have dinner and then walk back to the car after the fireworks.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Much like football hooliganism then, which I am led to believe is frowned upon somewhat!!

It's tradition, you curmudgeonly old killjoy!

Lots of precations are taken nowdays to prevent the worst excesses, Oliver Cromwell banned it but it's managed to survive and flourish without the rioting and rolling burning barrels of tar down the high street.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
My first one actually marching. Look out for Skull drummery who'll be marching with Cliffe....i'll have a can of old speckled hen in one hand and a drumstick in t'other.

I thought you hated bonfire night in Lewes Jevs :eek:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
With regards to Lewes on the 5th.

Although many of the locals will disagree, the best thing to do is to drive into Lewes early on...maybe at midday, and park on one of the estates (not ours !!! lol). Walk into town, have lunch, soak up the atmosphere, have dinner and then walk back to the car after the fireworks.

I don't think many non locals would park in Landport, it's hard enough finding your way around in daylight let alone after dark. :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here