Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leaving early is getting ridiculous!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
A perfectly acceptable excuse, a

Excuse ??? People don't need to have an excuse to leave a football match before the final whistle to carry on with there real lives, love my football as much as the next guy but its not the only thing in my life.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
On the few occasions I make it to a home game, I never leave early. I have always been back in Brighton station before 17:30, so don't really understand the gain leaving any earlier.
Still everyone has different circumstances, just not sure that many people realise the minimal gain of leaving early.

If al those people that eave early don't..i guess the knock on effect would be that you wouldn't get back to Brighton station at 5.30

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I have heard all of the reasons people are giving for arriving late; having to leave their seat at 40 mins to beat the queues for a pie; getting back to their seat on 50 mins because the pie line was so long; leaving early to beat the rush; etc, etc.

Sorry, but none of them make any sense to me.

I know it's not just the Amex where folks leave early so I am equally shocked at the way other fans behave.

You paid to WATCH A FOOTBALL MATCH. 90 minutes out of your life once every couple of weeks for 9 months of the year. Presumably you forked out the money because you enjoy football, support the Albion, or hopefully both. Or maybe you don't much like football (or the Albion) in which case it becomes a bloody expensive pie.

Maybe, just maybe, 5% of the crowd have what most folks would agree is a reasonable reason for buggering off early. The rest? It's beyond me.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I was at the Bernabeu on Saturday and nobody leaves until bang on the 90th minute. Why people leave early at the Amex I really don't know.

look at where the Bernabeu is in Madrid, then compare it to where the Amex is compared to Brighton, it isn't rocket science.......

don't get why people wet themselves about it so much, so what if people leave early, they've paid the money to the club, they do what they want. unless they leave at an inappropriate time and block your view, it doesnt affect you in any way except for the fact you can leave at 90 mins and spend less time queuing for your train because they got on the one earlier

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Since switching to the Racecourse Park and Ride, the end of match experience has been glorious.

Watch the end of the football (the bit I turned up to see). Applaud the team off. Plod down to the concourse. Have a wazz. Meet up with mates from other bits of WSU. Maybe glance at the scores. Grab a beer. Have a chat about the match. Maybe watch 10-15 mins of the televised game. Plod out to the bus with no queue. Walked staight and got a seat and then on our way.

LOVELY.

Of course I get leaving early when there are things to do. It's a Saturday INNIT. But I can't quite get my head round it being the NORM. May as well stay for another, enjoy it and be completely relaxed in my view. I couldn't stand sitting there from 85mins waiting for the ball to go dead so I can stand up and push past everyone and potentially miss something.

Again, each to their own though.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Here's one reason for you.
My dad is 80 years old and has been watching the Albion since he was a kid. He has been a season ticket holder for around 40 years consecutively, going to 'home games' at Gillingham etc. he never left early when he was younger as I have never done in my 40 years of supporting BHA. A couple of years ago he had a cardiac arrest outside the Amex and was given CPR with a defribilator. He was revived, spent weeks in hospital, had a triple bypass. The club invited us back to a game about three months later... The famous Ipswich banner game. He was pretty nervous about going back after that and so my mum decided to go with him. The club made sure she got a season ticket next to him.
They go every home game but now won't go to away games as they are a bit frail. My dad now has Parkinson's but he still goes. Frankly it frightens me a bit when they go to games like the Leeds Utd one tomorrow night ( no disrespect to the majority of Leeds fans but you know what I'm saying).
They tend to leave about 5 minutes early to avoid the rush at the end. They get to near the front of the bus queue so they can get seats. Whenever I go I'm amazed that some people don't offer their seats to him. I'm pleased to say though that this is rare, most people that go to the Amex are good people, and that includes the away fans.
So I appreciate what you are saying, but there are instances where it is understandable. It's worth thinking about.

I'm with you on that - I regularly offer my seat, (when I have one), to anyone who seems less able to stand than myself - On Saturday there were a group of guys in their late 20s sat on the bus, (ironically talking about safe-standing!), whilst there were a number of elderly fans struggling to stay upright whilst standing!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
You paid to WATCH A FOOTBALL MATCH. 90 minutes out of your life once every couple of weeks for 9 months of the year. Presumably you forked out the money because you enjoy football, support the Albion, or hopefully both. Or maybe you don't much like football (or the Albion) in which case it becomes a bloody expensive pie.

And there the arguement ends. People pay THEIR money, they do what they like. As far as im concerned, they can spend the whole game in the concourse drinking beer and watching sky ports on tele, it's absolutely NOTHING to do with anyone else.

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
I am surprised this thread is still running.

Why doesn't Bozza merge it with all the other threads on the same subject? Would be interesting to see how many posts there have been on what does seem to be a very circular and repetitive subject.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I am surprised this thread is still running.

Why doesn't Bozza merge it with all the other threads on the same subject? Would be interesting to see how many posts there have been on what does seem to be a very circular and repetitive subject.

What !!

are you suggesting we leave this thread before it's finished !!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The scientists amongst the Albion community will have noticed the Leeds game resulted in a much lower absentee figure with regard to the formentioned 85 minute money shot cut off point(as compare to Doncaster).When compared to the Doncaster game (scientifically) which can be agreed by all observationists as a free for all leg it i am out of here occasion, the only constant that is relative(as time is no longer an issue) is weather.

Science always has the answer.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Just stay to the end and hang around for a drink for 15-20 mins and the queues have usually dispersed (for the trains).

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
And there the arguement ends. People pay THEIR money, they do what they like. As far as im concerned, they can spend the whole game in the concourse drinking beer and watching sky ports on tele, it's absolutely NOTHING to do with anyone else.

Unless people leave during an attack and then stand and stop watcing it from the aisle blocking the view of everyone in the stand behind them (particularly annoying for the children in the family stand!)
If people want to leave early then fine but do ot when the ball is out of play, not during an attack, and once someone decides to leave they should leave - not stand around watching the game they have decided to leave.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's the not turning up at all in order to leave early or on time that would worry me. People are coming. That's all that matters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here