Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James Tavernier swoop?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Gerrard says Tavernier will cost us a lot of money.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45779421

Rangers captain James Tavernier had a hand in two of his side's three goals, having netted himself against Rapid.

It has been reported that Premier League side Brighton are poised to make a January bid for the right-back but Gerrard was defiant.

"I know the CEO at Brighton [Paul Barber] very well," he said. "He's got my number and he knows where I am. But he best go to the owners and ask for an awful lot of money if he wants James Tavernier.

"That goes for any club that wants my captain. They best go to the bank and get an awful lot of money out - or he's not going."

Apparently we've been scouting him https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sp...mes-tavernier-brighton-rangers-transfer-news/

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Gerrard says Tavernier will cost us a lot of money.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45779421

Rangers captain James Tavernier had a hand in two of his side's three goals, having netted himself against Rapid.

It has been reported that Premier League side Brighton are poised to make a January bid for the right-back but Gerrard was defiant.

"I know the CEO at Brighton [Paul Barber] very well," he said. "He's got my number and he knows where I am. But he best go to the owners and ask for an awful lot of money if he wants James Tavernier.

"That goes for any club that wants my captain. They best go to the bank and get an awful lot of money out - or he's not going."

Apparently we've been scouting him https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sp...mes-tavernier-brighton-rangers-transfer-news/

He seems to be in need of an awful lot of money :lolol:

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

Given that they struggled to pay the Jamie Murphy fee (which came to the grand total of one million), their version of 'a lot of money' and our version of 'a lot of money' are probably quite different

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Given that they struggled to pay the Jamie Murphy fee (which came to the grand total of one million), their version of 'a lot of money' and our version of 'a lot of money' are probably quite different

No doubt they will be on staged payments for Goldson and probably Murphy too!

IF we want him (not as good as Montoya or Bruno), we’ll get him for some of what they already owe.

We could of course give them Schelotto in a direct swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We will need to replace Bruno at some point but on the evidence of Fri night, we can probably get away with it for the rest of the season. Tavinier won't get in front of Montoya IMO and I think we would be better looking for someone younger who has potential.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've only seen highlights, not whole matches, on TV so I can't really comment on his defending, but he pings across some fabulous crosses, and delivers them quickly too. I could well believe he was on our radar in the summer, but now we've got Montoya I'd have thought that chasing after another right back wasn't high on Winstanley's list of priorities.

But there again, CH has been pretty ruthless with Suttner and Schelotto, so who knows?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I've only seen highlights, not whole matches, on TV so I can't really comment on his defending, but he pings across some fabulous crosses, and delivers them quickly too. I could well believe he was on our radar in the summer, but now we've got Montoya I'd have thought that chasing after another right back wasn't high on Winstanley's list of priorities.

But there again, CH has been pretty ruthless with Suttner and Schelotto, so who knows?

With Bruno possibly playing his final season with us in a Premier League role its not beyond reasonable to think that Tavernier might be of interest looking at the near future.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My son said that he heard or read that CH said that Montoya not being selected was a tactical move and no injury. In which case he may be looking at another right back for when Bruno retires, which cannot be too far off, and doesn't see Schelotto as being adequate cover for or competition for Montoya. It will depend on price I suppose but the figure of £5m to us wouldnt be outrageous but to Gerrad and Rangers may be considered a lot.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I think Chris clearly wants a marauding right back to get forward, overlap the winger and get crosses in. Bruno does that, but is on his last legs, so he got Schelotto in but that hasn't worked out for whatever reason. Montoya was brought in as right-back cover but on the evidence so far Montoya isn't that kind of full-back, hence looking at Tavernier (and presumably others) for that role

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
4 right backs. Quite a lot though isn't it. Clearly Schelotto is going to go.

You'd have thought though that Montoya and Bruno with possible cover from Balogan and Bernado if we had a real injury crisis would do the job

Re Montoya. I'm happy, Bruno has got his place back, as I love watching him, but it's a slightly odd one if Montoya is fit. And now it's all over the press Hughton wants Tavernier? I'm currently adding 2 to 2 ... and let me tell you ... the answer isn't 4

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Oh. And I haven't seen any evidence that Hughton likes marauding full backs. The evidence I've seen suggests Hughton likes full backs who are primarily defenders, good athletes who don't get the beaten and don't get caught the wrong side of the winger.

We're also not short of a set piece taker or two.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Oh. And I haven't seen any evidence that Hughton likes marauding full backs. The evidence I've seen suggests Hughton likes full backs who are primarily defenders, good athletes who don't get the beaten and don't get caught the wrong side of the winger.

I agree that is what I like a defender who can primarily defend but it doesnt fall in line with the younger FIFA 2018 followers.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003

Left backs yes, ..... right backs - well the evidence is that he's been playing Bruno as first choice the whole time he has been here, then tried to replace him with Schelotto, and just dropped Montoya for Bruno with rumoured interest in Tavernier. Watching Bruno and Knockaert terrorising left-backs for the last few years has been a joy to watch.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
On what is said here he would seem a really good bench option if we are chasing the game in the second half. Montoya is steady but perhaps we need more from our full backs

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't believe that we have written off another right back after only 4 appearances.

More likely looking to next season when Bruno is not playing any more

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So if we're chasing the game the plan is to bring on a fullback?

Yes if it gives us more attacking option without taking away our defensive duties eg had we been losing 1-0 v West Ham as they were us.

If you had a full back on the bench who was a better attacking option, AND didn't lose anything regards defensive duties, wouldn't you just play him from the start :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here