Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The RNLI- one of our greatest institutions

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
The crew on lifeboats did apply once a number of years ago to have flashing lights to put on their cars when called out but were turned down as they were not considered an emergency unit. What the hell are they then? I haven't got the guts to be a lifeboatman but I try to do my bit by being an offshore member

Opps sorry meant Shoreline member

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
BBC2 right now are airing a new series of Saving Lives At Sea about the RNLI.

They just showed a young guy who last winter tried to commit suicide by drowning, off of the end of the Palace Pier. The RNLI guys saved him, despite his struggles to push himself under the water to complete the job.

Brave people and glad to see that the young person lived.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
They do an unbelievable job down in Cornwall every summer, fishing people out of the sea nearly every day, the rip tides seem to get worse every year, 13 (i think) in one day.
The other day i thought i heared that the Plymouth lifeboat is the busiest in the UK.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
A pal of mine was on the lifeboats in Devon. They used to refer to people who got into trouble in ill-equipped boats as "the birmingham navy". It's quite a regular occurrence for them to have to rescue people several miles offshore on a jetski or lilo.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Great point. What do other countries do if someone is in trouble in the sea or in a boat?
They have saved many lives on the beaches down here in Cornwall over the years pulling holiday makers out of the sea due to the awful rip tides off the Cornish coast.
There is a fabulous little known seaside village in Devon, near Salcombe called Hope Cove. Every year they have a village day to raise money for the RNLI.
Its such a great day where the villagers, holiday makers and day trippers all join in for a day of fun. Games on the beach, Hog Roast, music, boat races, the pub and restaurant laying on all sorts of stuff in a beautiful setting, one of the best days of the year for a great cause.

Shh. Don't tell every body.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
IMG_0541.JPG

Grandad Skipper. Brighton Rowing Lifeboat.

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
Our golf society (The Bent Bananas), always pledges its yearly profit to the RNLI.
A fantastic organisation doing fantastic and at times unrewarded work.
Well done to the OP for highlighting this.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012

there are 260ish lifeboat stations in the uk & it costs about £180million to run.

hats off to them all & there hard work - I'd love to do it - but as my train took me 3hrs to get home (instead of 1hr) this evening - anyone in need of rescue would be dead before i got there

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Shh. Don't tell every body.

I am posting in a very quiet voice.
I go to the Hope Cove RNLI day every year, it is a highlight of our summer.
Hope Cove is a wonderful place often ignored by everyone else going to Salcombe.
Although to go into Salcombe for the evening rounds off a perfect summers day.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I don’t why the RNLI depends on donations from the public , there should be a tax on all boats that dock in the UK , and this can pay for the RNLI

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I don’t why the RNLI depends on donations from the public , there should be a tax on all boats that dock in the UK , and this can pay for the RNLI
And idiots who swim outside of the flags where the water is calmer because 'we dont like the big waves' should be fined, that's where the rip tides are you bucket heads.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

If it were funded by taxation then the government would want control and they would start closing lifeboat stations and cutting income (look at what they have done to the coastguard helicopters). Far better to have it run by people who know what they are doing and funded by people who care.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

The worst idea I’ve ever heard. The very reason it’s a decent organisation is entirely because the government has nothing to do with it.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The worst idea I’ve ever heard. The very reason it’s a decent organisation is entirely because the government has nothing to do with it.

Slightly off topic, but Hospices are the same.
Refuse to be centrally funded and brilliant as a result.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When you donate to the RNLI, give it to your local station, or state the exact station you want it to go to.

There was a case earlier this year, where two VOLUNTEERS were suspended for using mugs they had given each other as Secret Santa presents. A manager saw the mugs in the cupboard and suspended the men, who were then sacked!
This manager is full time on a salary of approx £50K.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...ed-in-row-over-naked-woman-mugs-a3829871.html

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
And idiots who swim outside of the flags where the water is calmer because 'we dont like the big waves' should be fined, that's where the rip tides are you bucket heads.
But I just love the fact that we still have a rescue service which doesn't either charge you or judge you. I spent 11 years as an auxiliary coastguard at Shoreham and have nothing but admiration for these guys. Whenever they rescued anyone, however stupid, the outward face was always "it's ok, we've all made stupid mistakes in the past" . I think different things might have been said in the pub ☺

Also, keep it away from government. During the late 90s there were some brutal cuts in the coastguard which resulted in some ex navy guys setting up a volunteer coastal watch scheme. No such cuts in the RNLI. They are and will remain my adopted charity

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
My first job, working on Denton Island [Newhaven] in the mid 1970's - long before pagers and mobile phones.
Heard this loud bang one day and a fella ran to the window and looked up in the sky:
"Gotta go!" he shouted - and off he went in a dash.
I looked out of he window and could see the flare slowly descending by parachute.

When I caught up with him the next day he explained that it's the first eight? to arrive that get to crew the lifeboat and it's all about getting to the station pronto.

Big respect to these people ....

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
They do an unbelievable job down in Cornwall every summer, fishing people out of the sea nearly every day, the rip tides seem to get worse every year, 13 (i think) in one day.
The other day i thought i heared that the Plymouth lifeboat is the busiest in the UK.
I spent some time at RAF Mount Batten, and used to see the Plymouth lifeboat go out, amazing sight:l

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I quite agree, however, like dogs trust and a few others, they are extremely good at fund raising and very 'wealthy' chariddeeeees. It would be very interesting to see their books!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here