Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Baldock (possibly Murray) miss

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Must confess I have only watched it live, can't bring myself to watch any of the highlights yet.

This. It will be some time before I click on the highlights link (if ever).

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Villa SHOULD have been 2-0 up at half time.
We SHOULD have scored that second goal.
Stockdale SHOULD have saved it.

The missed opportunities from both sides were bigger cock ups in my opinion.

Football is full of so many should haves, that game included.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I've seen lots about how Stockdale lost us the game on Sunday but no single thread on the glaring cock up that was Murray passing to Baldock to er do what exactly? Firstly I thought Murray should have smashed it in, but then Baldock had a virtually open goal, just hit the ****ing thing in! Crowd go mental and we get a big shiny cup

That was the moment for me when the title was lost. Hanging on to a 1-0 was never a good idea, we needed that second goal and chances don't come much better than that.

This is very comparable to the And Smith Must Score moment :)

How about the fact we should have been 2-0 down after 30 mins? Didn't deserve anymore than a draw IMO although the sit back and wait approach after we are leading at 70 minutes does my swede.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I said to my mate after this miss that it would come back to haunt us..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I said the same on the #blamestockdale threads. That was THE moment. Not that it was the ONLY moment though - Murray's poor header from Murphy's cross is a chance you'd back him to take, and March's cross-shot when a gentle square pass meant a certain open goal for Knockaert have escaped criticism entirely.

In addition how many other moments have there been that 'should' have been goals in the other 17 games we didn't win, such that we would have got an extra 2 points?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
We were all disappointed and many of us posted silly threads but it doesn't matter at the end of the day, We got there that's all that matters.

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
Lansbury's open goal miss in the first half was the biggest let off I can remember all season.

... and on another day we might not have got the penalty.

It's all done now. Onwards and upwards!

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

This. It will be some time before I click on the highlights link (if ever).

Its not on there! not sure why, but watched it twice to double check.. how strange. The more you look at the equalizer, the more you see just how deep we were.. maybe just a bit of inexperience with Dunk/Tomori - a higher line would have reduced the space for a shot, but I understand that psychologically, it is very hard when you want to defend for your lives..

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Its not on there! not sure why, but watched it twice to double check.. how strange. The more you look at the equalizer, the more you see just how deep we were.. maybe just a bit of inexperience with Dunk/Tomori - a higher line would have reduced the space for a shot, but I understand that psychologically, it is very hard when you want to defend for your lives..

Many have said we should have pushed up 10 yds.

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill

Its not on the extended highlights on Seagulls Player, but is on the highlights from Sky.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But if we're talking about winning the division after promotion, we have to also look at the Norwich and Bristol games. Two things stick out for me: Murray screwing his shot wide v Bristol early in the game. We take an early lead and the players are more relaxed and the game is quite different.

The other was Chris Hughton's sweeping changes to the line up. He was constantly swapping Bong and Pocognoli, of course they kept putting in under-par performances. He kept swapping the left winger. March, Murphy, Skalak. He kept switching Kayal and Sidwell. He even putting Hemed in and out of the starting line up. That is going to disrupt the team.

There are quite a few things we can point to and say 'if player x did better'. The more things we can point to as a key moment, the more frustrating it is - one key moment and it's a crapshoot 15 different moments and you really start to wonder how we messed up so many.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
It was a two against one inside the area. Murray put no real pace on the ball and it reached Baldock more slowly than he would have liked. This gave the defender a chance to get in front of Baldock, who panicked and had a quick and rather weak stab at the ball, which hit the defender. It was the golden opportunity to put the game and title to bed.
Although it was all over very quickly, it still gave SB enough time to think about it and thats where it went wrong. He is purely instinctive and lacks that calmness close to goal. A higher class player ( Sanchez/Aguerro etc ) would have taken a touch and created space around or wide of the defender and found the empty net.
It might have been different if Murray had played the ball more fiercely at Baldock. He probably would have slammed it in without thinking.

Watched CH5 highlights tonight..above is spot on. Murrays flick was fine it was Baldocks reaction that was the prob. He even went down for the pen when he could and should have scored. Missing from the team when it really mattered and we gained promotion without him. Move him on..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here