Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Berlin Christmas Markets

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went last Christmas to Berlin and to their markets, again tap up Herr Tubthumper he will point you in the right direction, for me the best one was the central one, Gendarmenmarkt Christmas Market, it was great and very Christmassey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UQyND_WvDM

Quite surprisingly last year was how quiet it was, expected a more 'Berlin vibe' but it wasnt happening, I suspect we were always a wrong turning away from party town, but didnt find it ....

Let me know if you're over again because I certainly know the party places.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I was just about to reply 'don't go to Lille'. Lille was recommended a couple of years ago and, as it's just a quick trip on Eurostar, off we trotted. To say we were underwhelmed would be an understatement. All the market consisted of was a circle of garden sheds selling stuff you would never buy as presents - little nic-nacs if you will, and also doughnut, hotdog and gluhwein stalls, all stuff you can get at a home Christmas Market. It took us all of 10 minutes to see everything it was that disappointing. Lille itself isn't much to shout about either as you get off the train into the business sector. Honestly Mattbackhome I would try to get to a market somewhere else. One of the smaller German towns would be my next choice

Lille down by the river and bridges is wicked though. Can imagine during winter it is decent. Lots of good bars and restaurants. But yes the city centre is a bit dull

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you live in the Midlands, go to Lincoln Christmas market. The German stalls come over here for it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
To be honest we are leaving them alone currently due to security concerns (massive crowds in enclosed public areas, big Christian religous festival, and none too far from Paris, Brussels etc etc).

Thanks for that! You've put doubts in my mind now :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I was just about to reply 'don't go to Lille'. Lille was recommended a couple of years ago and, as it's just a quick trip on Eurostar, off we trotted. To say we were underwhelmed would be an understatement. All the market consisted of was a circle of garden sheds selling stuff you would never buy as presents - little nic-nacs if you will, and also doughnut, hotdog and gluhwein stalls, all stuff you can get at a home Christmas Market. It took us all of 10 minutes to see everything it was that disappointing. Lille itself isn't much to shout about either as you get off the train into the business sector. Honestly Mattbackhome I would try to get to a market somewhere else. One of the smaller German towns would be my next choice

Oh shit - doesn't sound promising. As you say - it's very handy hence the choice.

Anyone have anything good to say about Lille? (sorry to OP for temporary thread divergence)

theboybilly

Oh shit - doesn't sound promising. As you say - it's very handy hence the choice.

Anyone have anything good to say about Lille? (sorry to OP for temporary thread divergence)

I'm not trying to put you off continental Christmas Markets as nobody could have been more looking forward to seeing one for the first time than me. We just seemed to have picked the wrong one. If you want 'handy' and are driving over why not try the one at Ypres? This is so easy to get to and seems to be around the same size as the market in Lille. But an added attraction is that Ypres is a truly lovely little town with so much to see and excellent restaurants and watering holes. It's only a short hop by train from Lille too if going by Eurostar.

You'll love Berlin. Lots to see and all within easy reach either walking or by tram or train. Try to do the Reichstag tour (best to book the dome restaurant). Many, many buildings near the Brandenburg Gate still bear scars of the 1945 battle for Berlin. Beware the latest street scam which is getting money out of you for a School for the Deaf (it's a known scam that I almost got caught out with but was ushered away from by locals)
We went to Berlin for the first time this summer - we will be definitely going back.

Been to Berlin three times in the past two years, including for New Years Eve last year. Love the city. Still loads I've yet to get round to doing including going inside the Reichstag and catching some football. Planning to tick off the latter with a trip in February to go watch Union Berlin with my dad, who lives in Dresden.

Been warned about that scam. My friend who was with me out there last December almost got caught out by it near the Brandenburg Gate. Usually they'll be going around that area with clipboards trying to collar people.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Going to some Paris and Arrass first weekend of December ( means missing the Cardiff game ...Bad Fan) Mainland Europeans like their Christmas markets and so do we.
Probably due to living in Germany for 6 years in the RAF

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Why go ABROAD when you can soak up that magical Christmas atmosphere right here in BRITAIN?

article-1358322-0D418A44000005DC-599_634x391.jpg

Follow the link for the entire Lapland New Forest experience :xmas:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-11866885

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Same - I'd love to go to the market at Bruge, because Bruge is pretty much my favourite place in Europe I've been to :thumbsup:

I've been to Bruges Christmas market. As has been previously said, the stalls don't sell anything worthwhile apart from food & drink. It is lovely with the open ice skating rink, and decorations.
We did stock up on beer & chocolates in the usual shops just off the main square, so not an entirely wasted visit.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
My wife, both get sisters and mum plus a couple of friends have home to markets every year for about the last 6. Copenhagen, Budapest, New York, Berlin, New York, Paris, I'm sure there's others and it looks like she is going to New York again this year! I don't think there is a market there but they have the Macy's parade.. none of them drink and some, not the wife, don't like foreign muck! So it's all about the shopping and not just tax. She came back with a snowboard observe from Budapest! I get a nice break on the lash for a few days doing whatever I want, it's lovely until she comes back and starts moaning about one sister in particular!

I love Xmas and if it wasn't for the sisters or one in particular going, I would go with her but I would be eating and drinking whilst they are shopping. 😁

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

theboybilly

Been to Berlin three times in the past two years, including for New Years Eve last year. Love the city. Still loads I've yet to get round to doing including going inside the Reichstag and catching some football. Planning to tick off the latter with a trip in February to go watch Union Berlin with my dad, who lives in Dresden.

Been warned about that scam. My friend who was with me out there last December almost got caught out by it near the Brandenburg Gate. Usually they'll be going around that area with clipboards trying to collar people.

Checkpoint Charlie is also a hotspot for scammers. It gets very crowded there in a small area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here