Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber on Albion match day ticket prices

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
True but the club do have wiggle room to get more bums on seats. Top of the league, a good chance of winning tomorrow and thousands of empty seats because its £42 quid to watch a game against Charlton Athletic.

I guess what PB is saying is that the reason we're top of the league with a good chance of winning tomorrow is because its £42 quid to watch a game.

whether thats true or not I don't know

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Put it this way, There are 2 seats behind me which are available to buy in the East upper. I could take my wife and her brother. But £84 for 2 tickets is just too much. If it was £70- £74 for the pair of them, I would most likely go for it. Its a given already that those seats will NOT be purchased, they have only been bought once this season. So The club are missing out on 70 odd quid plus I know my Bro in law likes a few pints. I'm sure there will be a few thousand examples of this tomorrow. its just too expensive and the club don't need to give away their seats to profit from more bums on seats.

I re-iterate that I didn't say it would 'bankrupt' us to lower the prices, I was just stating that if people don't want to commit to season tickets for varying reasons, then don't expect to find a 'bargain bucket' price. Personally the £42 ticket I would market at £39, which is more appealing with the 3 in front of it! Oh and if these tickets were priced close to the STH I still wouldn't give up mine or care less what the pick and choose brigade were paying, it is more to do with the club trying to run the business as close to break even margins as possible. I don't for one minute believe the Chairman, Directors, Accountant or CEO haven't looked at all possibilities and stuck their collective head in the sand for what us Joe Public think is the 'bleedin obvious'.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
good response. Cheaper tickets than 42 quid are always available. I don't understand the argument that loads more would come in they were only 36 quid. How many people are prepared to spend 36 to sit in ESU but not 30 in WSU?

Someone said about a couple would go if it was 72 quid for the couple rather than than 84. I am not sure I buy that. You would need lots more people to actually take this to lose the revenue from those who pay it anyway. Call it a deadweight cost if you like.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Put it this way, There are 2 seats behind me which are available to buy in the East upper. I could take my wife and her brother. But £84 for 2 tickets is just too much. If it was £70- £74 for the pair of them, I would most likely go for it. Its a given already that those seats will NOT be purchased, they have only been bought once this season. So The club are missing out on 70 odd quid plus I know my Bro in law likes a few pints. I'm sure there will be a few thousand examples of this tomorrow. its just too expensive and the club don't need to give away their seats to profit from more bums on seats.

Buy two extra ST's & take two different people every week. This will ensure you have many more friends long into the future.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The question remains is how much does your Bro in law want to see the game? Does he have to sit in East upper when he could get two tickets in the North stand for less than £74?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The £42 ticket thing is a bit of a red herring isn't it? There are actually very few £42 tickets available and numerous cheaper tickets, and most games are not category A where £42 applies.

I appreciate that if you have a ST in the "£42 zone" and you have a/some mates that want to come with you for an occasional game that becomes an issue. I don't know if the club would allow you to transfer your ST to a cheaper area on an ad hoc basis when that happens. Possibly not as the club are left with a more expensive ticket to try and sell for that fixture.

good response. Cheaper tickets than 42 quid are always available. I don't understand the argument that loads more would come in they were only 36 quid. How many people are prepared to spend 36 to sit in ESU but not 30 in WSU?

Someone said about a couple would go if it was 72 quid for the couple rather than than 84. I am not sure I buy that. You would need lots more people to actually take this to lose the revenue from those who pay it anyway. Call it a deadweight cost if you like.

I would only sit in the esu as the view is superior to most areas and on par with 1901.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'll summarise, in case anyone doesn't have a spare hour or two to read all that: "Buy a season ticket or do one".

Jesting aside, even at that length, he's not saying anything to refute what's blindingly obvious to actual fans: non-season ticket tickets remain ridiculously way too expensive for the level of demand that exists for them - as can be ably demonstrated by a large number of empty seats every week, despite the brilliance on the pitch.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I would imagine similar sorts of offers are being lined up to tempt people later on in the season if sales don't naturally pick up.

Watch them pick up if we're still top in February. Even at £42.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I'll summarise, in case anyone doesn't have a spare hour or two to read all that: "Buy a season ticket or do one".

Jesting aside, even at that length, he's not saying anything to refute what's blindingly obvious to actual fans: non-season ticket tickets remain ridiculously way too expensive for the level of demand that exists for them - as can be ably demonstrated by a large number of empty seats every week, despite the brilliance on the pitch.

I live in Warwick and have managed two matches so far this season. we have the best attendances in the league. Should other clubs charge even less? This is all related to the price elasticity of demand and I would suggest than this is quite in elastic I.e. Demand does not change that much with price. By this I mean that 20% decrease in price would lead to a less than 20% increase in demand (very simplistic way of looking at it)

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
We would be done for if it wasnt for Blooms money.

Good response from Mr Barber and makes sense. Im not sure wifi is a selling point though really.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
He indicates prices are sp high because ticket revenue is the vital source of revenue in the championship. As such he will presumably be reducing prices if/when we get promoted.

Yeah right.

The fact is that having such high match day tickets in ALL areas of the ground means that there's little opportunity for new fans to ever get the Albion bug. As there's little chance they'll spend £35+ on an unknown experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here