Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] This could elicit some fun replies

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The story part of it makes a very good point about taxation. Life is not as black and white as a lot of youngsters like to think it is and we both need to provide decent public services and tax ‘reasonably.’ That balance hasn’t been found yet because one side includes people who object to paying any tax and the other, people who see tax as a weapon to achieve their political goals.Simply dismissing it in the manner of the early replies is not good enough.However I am unsure of the connection with the bit below about law making.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Shamelessly copied and pasted

A young woman was about to finish her first year of university. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be Labour Party minded, and she was very much in favour of higher taxes to support her education and for more government programmes – in other words, the redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply-ashamed that her father was a rather staunch, blue-ribbon Conservative, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had attended, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had, for years, harboured a selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day, she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the need for more government programmes. The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors must be the truth, and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing at university.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 90% average, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many university friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, “How is your friend Audrey doing?” She replied, “Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies and she barely has a 50% average. She is so popular on campus - university for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over.”

Her wise father asked his daughter, “Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct 20% off your average and give it to your friend who only has 50%? That way, you will both have a 70% average. It would be fair and you would both be equal.”

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, “That's a crazy idea! How would that be fair? I've worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my xxxx off!”

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, “Welcome to the Conservative side of the fence.”

If you ever wondered what side of the fence you sit on, this is a great test!
If a Conservative supporter doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy one.
If a Labour/Green doesn't like guns, they want all guns out-lawed.

Because most nasty people who use guns don't have political affiliation

If a Conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat.
If a Labour/Green is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.

Mostly untrue. I also met Tories who campaign for a meat free society

If a Conservative is gay, he quietly leads his life.
If a Labour/Green is gay, he demands legislated respect.

Really ? I know more than one gay Tory who is 'out'. 'Legislated respect' ? In other words: The right to be equal. I can get with that.

If a Conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
A Labour/Green wonders who is going to take care of him.

Strange one, that. I know plenty of Tories who have made use of welfare. And plenty of 'lefties' who want to better their situation.

If a Conservative doesn't like a chat-show host, he switches channels.
Labour/Greens demand those should be banned.

That's strange when the Daily Mail often lead the ousting campaigns..

If a Conservative is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.
A Labour/Green non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced. (Unless it's a foreign religion, of course!)

Plenty of right wing non-believers have their say.

If a Conservative reads this, he'll forward it, so his friends can have a good laugh.
A Labour/Green will delete it because he's "offended”.

I think some Tories might actually challenge it. I'll ask a Tory I know who is out gay, needed help for a while, and believes in gun control.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Fork, forgive me, I am a little confused by what you mean.

The daughter had higher grades because she'd worled harder.

Her father's assertion that someone wealthy paying more tax is on a par with her sharing her grades only works if the amount of money one has is proportional to how hard they've worked.

It isn't, not even close.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Did the Father also have a double-barrelled name, go to an all boys public school, voted for Brexit and thinks cutting ESA by £30 a week for Cancer patients, so as to force them into work when they're not well enough is a good thing, by any chance?

I bet he did.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Audrey will be okay anyway because her rich daddy will sort her an internship somewhere nice and then have a word with one of his mates to get her a job in the Foreign Office or with a merchant bank. That was why she knew she could go out all the time and not worry about grades. Neither hard work nor intelligence have as much to do with success as they should in this country.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Audrey will be okay anyway because her rich daddy will sort her an internship somewhere nice and then have a word with one of his mates to get her a job in the Foreign Office or with a merchant bank. That was why she knew she could go out all the time and not worry about grades. Neither hard work nor intelligence have as much to do with success as they should in this country.

Exactly!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Sweeping generalisation, Andy.
I reckon the country is far more meritocratic than it once was.
Tim 'nice but dim' doesn't cut the mustard so much now.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The internet is full of simplistic analogies written by Americans conservatives who either have no understanding of complexity or refuse to acknowledge it because of its inconvenience to their emotionally formed arguments. This doesn't bother me in the slightest.

What does irritate me, is when British conservatives think that all they have to do to anglicise them is to change the word 'liberal' to 'Labour'. Why at a British University is Audrey 'taking easy classes' rather than having to attend whatever lectures and seminars are part of her chosen course of study like everyone else at a British University? Why should the daughter speak to the Dean rather than her Vice-Chancellor? Conservatives can't simply choose whether or not to buy a gun, because we have gun control in the UK.

It really grates. If you're going to use it, either edit it properly or just leave it American. The worst propaganda is sloppy propaganda.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
How about if they actually close the loopholes the rich use to avoid paying billions in tax? Instead of cutting everything and sending the county into termoil, F****** morons seriously

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The story is based on the premise that everyone worse off than yourself is so because they didn’t work as hard as you. It doesn’t allow for the possibility that opportunities, illness, accident, bereavement etc could possibly have played any part in someone’s life.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
First year grades don't count towards your degree classification.

This terrible analogy has the level of intelligence demonstrated in Conservative Party policy.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The internet is full of simplistic analogies written by Americans conservatives who either have no understanding of complexity or refuse to acknowledge it because of its inconvenience to their emotionally formed arguments. This doesn't bother me in the slightest.

What does irritate me, is when British conservatives think that all they have to do to anglicise them is to change the word 'liberal' to 'Labour'. Why at a British University is Audrey 'taking easy classes' rather than having to attend whatever lectures and seminars are part of her chosen course of study like everyone else at a British University? Why should the daughter speak to the Dean rather than her Vice-Chancellor? Conservatives can't simply choose whether or not to buy a gun, because we have gun control in the UK.

It really grates. If you're going to use it, either edit it properly or just leave it American. The worst propaganda is sloppy propaganda.
This. 100% this.

Is this really how far some people in this country have sunk that they're parroting American right wing propaganda as a model for Britain?

MBGA! I'll get some hats printed. Sad *****.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Poor analogy, many people are working their nuts off and not getting a decent wage and that is the problem. The inference that if you have nothing you must be lazy is frankly, ridiculous.

Ps. You might as well say that people who spend an hour in the bath in the morning before work are obviously skiving.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here