Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Not very complimentary from Soton

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It's much easier/quicker to get away from the Amex than many other grounds I've visited. Our transport system is good.

Last time I went to Southampton I used their park and ride, we were on that bus for at least half an hour to and from the carpark. The parking around St Marys is also scarce and the "away" pub we used was a complete dive (can't remember the name but had to go up stairs, the bar was tiny).

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The article fails to point out that Saints fans only need buy a return to Worthing, since the voucher covers them beyond there.

As others have said, their stadium is much less accessible - a 27 minute walk to the station according to Google maps - and with a dearth of local pubs (I've yet to find a decent boozer in the whole of the city, mind).

PG

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
It's much easier/quicker to get away from the Amex than many other grounds I've visited. Our transport system is good.

Last time I went to Southampton I used their park and ride, we were on that bus for at least half an hour to and from the carpark. The parking around St Marys is also scarce and the "away" pub we used was a complete dive (can't remember the name but had to go up stairs, the bar was tiny).

Was that the Eagle..its gone now. The designated away pub is Yates which is a 0.66 mile walk from the ground..plenty of room. We've also been welcomed in the Chapel Arms, the closest (friendly) pub to the ground. Obviously you'd keep clear of the joiners.

The station is 1 mile away..if you walk that in 27 minutes then your'e a slow walker

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
wire-27279-1483971441-658_634x428.jpg

I've only ever been once, but St Mary's isn't situated in the nicest of areas I suppose. Typical out-of-town location for a modern ground. Oh, and its a crappy identikit jobbie as well. Could just as easily be looking at the Riverside, or the King Power if you changed the seats.

Quite nice to get to if you have a boat :moo:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Nothing 'uncomplimentary' there. If you want uncomplimentary read Adam Leitch (Saints' Andy Naylor type) in yesterday's Daily Echo - "Saints will be looking to take maximum points from Brighton away and Burnley at home, before some more taxing fixtures after the International break".

Outrageous. Those Hampshire types- coming over here trying to take our points away.

:tantrum:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Was that the Eagle..its gone now. The designated away pub is Yates which is a 0.66 mile walk from the ground..plenty of room. We've also been welcomed in the Chapel Arms, the closest (friendly) pub to the ground. Obviously you'd keep clear of the joiners.

The station is 1 mile away..if you walk that in 27 minutes then your'e a slow walker
A mile away! ours is 200 yards..

It could have been the Eagle, no surprise it’s now gone, the building looked condemned when it was a pub.

:lolol:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

I've only ever been once, but St Mary's isn't situated in the nicest of areas I suppose. Typical out-of-town location for a modern ground. Oh, and its a crappy identikit jobbie as well. Could just as easily be looking at the Riverside, or the King Power if you changed the seats.

At first glance it’s actually pretty difficult to tell them apart.

7787AA78-0CFE-497F-93E0-C9DF7E6E73CC.jpeg

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Fairly accurate I’d say but I’d love to read their assessment of Smellhurst Park or Ballmuff etc. I thought St Mary’s was on an industrial estate?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

St Mary’s is an off the shelf stadium but get your facts right it definitely isn’t out of town!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The article fails to point out that Saints fans only need buy a return to Worthing, since the voucher covers them beyond there.

As others have said, their stadium is much less accessible - a 27 minute walk to the station according to Google maps - and with a dearth of local pubs (I've yet to find a decent boozer in the whole of the city, mind).

PG

I thought that so out of curiosity I checked and price is the same to Worthing as it is to Brighton!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I thought that so out of curiosity I checked and price is the same to Worthing as it is to Brighton!

Out of curiosity, I checked some more and the price is the same to Barnham as it is to Brighton. So, out of more curiosity, I checked some more and the price is the same as far east as Rye. Barnham to Rye is about a 60 mile spread (for the same price)

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
It’s 5 mins walk from the best street for pubs and restaurants in Southampton! Also 5 mins from Ocean Village hardly a disgusting toilet of an area!
Still no parking... still a traffic and public transport bun fight on match days...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Try getting a train to Eastbourne,lost count how many times I waited an hour or more.

Get on the first train to Lewes and then wait for the Eastbourne train to come in. Many people get out there, so it will be half empty.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Out of curiosity, I checked some more and the price is the same to Barnham as it is to Brighton. So, out of more curiosity, I checked some more and the price is the same as far east as Rye. Barnham to Rye is about a 60 mile spread (for the same price)

And if you'd checked further, it's the same price from Southampton to Barnham as it is from Southampton to Ashford. :)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Try getting a train to Eastbourne,lost count how many times I waited an hour or more.

And there lies the problem going east after the game, if people got on the first train out and change at Lewes it clears the platform for those on the ramp. Those going to Seaford etc will then catch the train the would have anyway when it gets to Lewes and those going to Eastbourne etc get the chance of a connection on the London line.

Common sense IMO

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here