Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£195 Million Neymar to PSG

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Because it has nothing to do with fans and is all about money. No player is worth that! I've fallen out of love with this commercially run cash cow of this personally.

Its so right, is this guy really worth the price of a hospital wing< I know its often quoted but where is the pleasurein this now. is it a game of poker, who can pay the most, whats happened to rules on finance in the game. For the player good luck to him, get it while you can, for the club its 'charitable benefactors' may be pleased and fans may be happy, but for football its notgood news. Whilst the available space for playing football is decreasing, grassroots football in rapid decline this will only creep from the bottom until we find more national league and then second division clubs going to the wall. Its symptomatic of a much bigger problem in football that shortly it will become more elitist than it is now. As for those who flippantly think its great, please don't whine at entrance fees and the price of a pie and pint because thats where it ends up. AS for the players placed under such pressure of these exhorbitant fees, than cn never fulfil the expectation that of the price with which they come.
Perhaps the game could invest in a fourth and fifth official, more goaline technology,video evidence, mandatory time of the pitch for a player that is down for no reason, for 'health and safety and maybe some thought about the fans.
I can only agree with Surrey_Albion.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Well, it clearly isn't, is it?

It is ludicrous for sure, but no more signals the 'end of football' than Trevor Francis' £1m transfer in 1979.

Trevor Francis was a high class striker and immediately repaid Forest by scoring the winning ( and only ) goal in the European Cup Final. Although he was the first £1m player, I still regard it as pretty good business. The deal that smacked of insanity, around the same time, was Malcolm Allison paying a similar amount of money for Steve Daly, whose pedigree was far far lower than Francis and baffled almost everybody. The swaggeringly self-confident Allison wanted to put down a marker for the whole of football but ended up with a millstone round his neck that he was never able to shake off.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
So? Why is this any different from Bale going for £100M? Is any player worth £50M even? If the money in the game is killing football then it died years ago. Trying to pinpoint the death of football as this transfer is just histrionics.

It isn't different to Bale going for £100M, or any of the other ridiculous transfer fees that are being paid.

I would imagine that the OP has not pinpointed this transfer as the 'moment' that football has died, and that he has been falling out of love with the professional game for quite some time - I know I have. If it wasn't for the fact that the Albion have been so damn likeable for so long, I would probably have given up on the whole thing some time ago.

Like [MENTION=522]Kinky Gerbils[/MENTION], I would guess, I will keep going. But it doesn't feel as permanent as it did before, and I can envisage a time when I'll think 'sod it, that's me done.'

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I would imagine that the OP has not pinpointed this transfer as the 'moment' that football has died

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on that given the OP's follow up to the thread title "195 Million" is:

And the end of football....

PSG told Barcelona they are willing to pay Neymar's £195m release clause and Barca jumped at chance and allowed PSG to talk to the player
4:39 PM - 18 Jul 2017

Seems quite specific to me.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Transfer fee's keep going up and up to the point that middle range clubs are being out priced - Fees clubs are being quoted for Bog standard players now (£50 million for sigurdsson) and the wages - Johnny Evans 100k.

It is going to implode soon.
Aren't you a glory hunting Spurs fan who grew up in Hassocks? I wouldn't let it get you down mate.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The seemingly limitless cash flooding in from the Arabs and the TV companies keeps this whole circus spinning round. I keep thinking we're going to reach a tipping point, but there's no sign of it yet.

Interesting that Sky Sports have had to completely revamp their Sports package now in a desperate attempt to combat the ever-dwindling subscription numbers in this country, by separating the PL football and other sports out onto their own dedicated channels. Fasands of customers like me have binned them off because it was a rip-off, and because I can see most of what I want on a moody stream these days, so they won't be tempting me back any time soon. They massively overpaid last time round in that £5.5bn deal, its now costing them £11,000,000 per game to broadcast, which is ludicrous.

The current deal runs till 2019. It'll be interesting to see how much Sky/BT bid for the next TV deal for 2019-22. Can they really afford to increase on that £5.5bn if the landscape has changed and subscriptions are still falling ?

Maybe that'll be the catalyst for the brakes to come on, but there always seems to be someone willing to pour money into the game from somewhere.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I like how it's 195 million rather than 200 million.

It's that CLEVER trick retailers do, to make you think you're getting a bargain.

It's not though is it ? It's 220m Euros........the £195m quoted is just to make it easy for those nations with independent currencies to understand.

.......and 220m euros will soon be 220m quid anyway [emoji23][emoji23]

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
So? Why is this any different from Bale going for £100M? Is any player worth £50M even? If the money in the game is killing football then it died years ago. Trying to pinpoint the death of football as this transfer is just histrionics.

Quite right. This isn't a watershed moment, any more than any other big money signing.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's not though is it ? It's 220m Euros........the £195m quoted is just to make it easy for those nations with independent currencies to understand.

Apologies. I'll do better research next time I make a joke.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Because it has nothing to do with fans and is all about money. No player is worth that! I've fallen out of love with this commercially run cash cow of this personally.

Indeed. It's the realisation of how insignificant the sums are that we pay over for entering the ground. Once upon a time we were such a crucial part of a clubs survival because the money at the turnstiles was everything. But now we are pretty insignificant. Clubs survive and thrive (or not) based on the oil price, and how rich that makes their owners, and how profligate they are prepared to be with their money.

That hit me when we announced £15m in losses a few years ago, which equated to 25,000 of us paying an extra £25 for each of 25 games. We contribute, yeah we contribute, but the money fans pay on the gate is mere chicken feed. As such they are not our clubs anymore, they are truly owned by the guys who pump the insane money in to keep up with these transfers.

THAT, for me, is why the spiraling cost of players transfers and wages spells the end of football as we once knew it. Football as the peoples game, where they were our clubs, and owners we nothing more than short-term custodians.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

€222m according to reports which is £197m

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

The thing is, some players are worth that. Talk of Messi being paid £1m a week at Barcelona but these aren't figures plucked out of the air - his value to the club justifies it commercially. Neymar is another flair player in a similar mould. The problem is when very limited squad players start getting paid silly money.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here