Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Religion is the cause of all problems...

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Few points if I may: He wasn't a vegetarian, he made millions of gypsies, jews and poles homeless and he hunted Jews near to extinction and he was a fairly religious man.

Hitler was a Catholic in a Protestant Country so he had to reach out to the Prod Bishops to help him get elected. Ironicly it was the other way round for George Bush jnr who had to reach out to Catholic Bishops.

Personally I think an excellent election slogan would be "Death to all Priests". Doubt I'd win but I think its a good one.:)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I would like to agree with you as there would be nothing Id like more to see than all 3 go down the bog but Insignificant?

Depending who you ask Jesus is an apostate, a messiah or a profit. Now I wouldn't call them insignificant, to me hes just some bloke in a beard that used to hang with other men and talk to himself in the desert, a bit like Moses and Mohammed come to think of it.

When the last Priest is being garroted with the intestine from the last Imam while standing on the windpipe of the last Rabbi then the world would be getting better imo.
Who is killing the last three religious people in your utopia then? Doesn't sound so appealing to me. I think that in such a society, once the religions were removed in such a way, further barbarism would emerge, who would be next? Left wingers, right wingers, ginger haired people, Scottish people, English people? Plus ca change.....

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Who is killing the last three religious people in your utopia then? Doesn't sound so appealing to me. I think that in such a society, once the religions were removed in such a way, further barbarism would emerge, who would be next? Left wingers, right wingers, ginger haired people, Scottish people, English people? Plus ca change.....

Its not a design for some utopia, just a mission statement thats all.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That really is clutching at straws. The fact we eat and breath (at the same time) through the same narrow pipe is a masterpiece in design. If someone chokes to death, they are bloody unlucky, it's not a common problem or flaw in the design.

Throughout all life, nature, physics and the universe you will struggle to find any feature or property that serves no purpose. It seems as if everything has been completely fine tuned for our existence. A type of intelligent design does certainly seem to be true, but that does not necessarily mean that the intelligent designer is God.

clutching at straws? so how come you've come back with nothing more than "is a masterpiece in design". it isnt, and if you think otherwise explain why. if i were designing a air and fuel inlet system, i wouldnt design it like that, and last time i checked im not a god. so am i a better designer? maybe. but that example aside, there are many, many other poor designs in life and many features that serve no purpose. Appendix, coccyx, sinuses, male nipples. thats just the easy, obvious well known ones on humans there's dozens of muscles and other anotomyically redundant features. so many animals and plants are not fine tuned for existance, they do enough to survive, until something comes along and outcompetes them. if there were an intelligent designer, he's made a whole world of poor design.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I know god does not exist I have no proof of this and i cannot show you the evidence i just know and you must beleive it if you do not you are therefore automatically wrong and offensive to my beliefs and I want to hurt you and wish bad things to you.War over religion is like to kids in the playground fighting over who has the best imaginary friend

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Religion is just a means many humans utilise as an excuse to espouse their ingrained hatred and to enact violent actions upon one another. Stalin and Mao killed tens of millions of people combined but it had nothing to do with religious motivations, in the case of Hitler he murdered millions of a particular religious group but religion is not to be blamed (religion can only be integrated if you suggested it resulted from the legacy of German catholicism and the traditional hatred of Jews but i dont think there is much justification for that view). Look at Rwanda, nothing to do with religion. The majority of the most prominent examples of human cruelty have no religious root cause.

Hitler didnt directly murder anyone but I take your point. The belief that the Jews were responsible for Germany's defeat and then the communist insurrections that racked Germany after the war is what motivated the nazis. For them Judaism was not so much a religion as a political power mad conspiracy...the expulsion of Jews from Europe be it by deportation or up the chimney was a political act as much as a religious one. The SS and the Wehrmacht had "Gott mit on their belt buckles though. My point is that religion had little to do with Judaism according to the third reich.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
The desire for God is written in the human heart, because man is created by God and for God; and God never ceases to draw man to Himself. Only in God will he find the truth and happiness he never stops searching for (…) In many ways, throughout history down to the present day, men have given expression to their quest for God in their religious beliefs and behaviour: in their prayers, sacrifices, rituals, meditation, and so forth. These forms of religious expression, despite the ambiguities they often bring with them, are so universal than one may well call man a religious being. (Catechism of the Catholic Church)

... and the fact that such threads as this one appear, on an amazingly regular basis, on all kinds of forums only confirms what the good old catechism tells us.

Some people might not go to Mass, they may show complete and utter disregard for Church's moral teachings, they may even consider themselves atheists, but there is something in them, some sort of disquietude, a quiet yearning, and one day, one day they will feel the "twitch upon the thread" and they will come back to their forefathers' faith.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I too find it incredible that any rational adult can really believe especially with the overwhelming scientific evidence against it. In fact I think many do not give it up because of traditional ideas or because it would be admitting that everything you have ever believed is false and that is hard to take. Ive gone passed the 'respect others beliefs' attitude because why should I respect misogyny, homophobia or the belief that the world is about 6000 years old.

We can strive for kindness, for equality, for love, for friendship and everything else good in the world without religion. Its 2014, seriously it is time to give up the belief that a man lives in the sky and watches everything we do.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I often wonder why i am who i am,why i am here in this place and now,as opposed to being somebody else,somewhere else in the world,i suspect my answer could involve an element of chance,but i suspect it involves a little bit more than that.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've just done a MASSIVE dump down the pan, and it's not shifting, despite FOUR flushes.

I do NOT consider religion to be the cause of this problem, despite being a born again atheist.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I too find it incredible that any rational adult can really believe especially with the overwhelming scientific evidence against it. In fact I think many do not give it up because of traditional ideas or because it would be admitting that everything you have ever believed is false and that is hard to take. Ive gone passed the 'respect others beliefs' attitude because why should I respect misogyny, homophobia or the belief that the world is about 6000 years old.

We can strive for kindness, for equality, for love, for friendship and everything else good in the world without religion. Its 2014, seriously it is time to give up the belief that a man lives in the sky and watches everything we do.

Science cannot answer what was before the big bang-what just so happens to be the current scientific view on how the universe was created..created from what?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I've just done a MASSIVE dump down the pan, and it's not shifting, despite FOUR flushes.

I do NOT consider religion to be the cause of this problem, despite being a born again atheist.

I will alert the coast gaurds and port authorities,could be a danger to the shipping lanes when that one gets out.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Science cannot answer what was before the big bang-what just so happens to be the current scientific view on how the universe was created..created from what?

It does try to answer it by saying there was nothing, that sounds slightly more rational to me than the idea of a god (not using a capital g) creating it all, I mean seriously, that is ludicrous.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It does try to answer it by saying there was nothing, that sounds slightly more rational to me than the idea of a god (not using a capital g) creating it all, I mean seriously, that is ludicrous.

So science states that out of no-thing,all can be created? that is even more ludicrous,than a god imho...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
So who created god then? Remember the rule, he cant come from nothing.

It always was,always is and always will be-i'd prefer to exchange the word God with Life,if it makes life easier...

There is no end or beginning...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here