Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barnes

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Barnes playing in the Rodrigues position would have had enough chances to score on the weekend. Those three points could be the ones that cost us a playoff spot.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

So why have we only offered him a 6 month deal. We will never get to see how good he is.

Because the management see a lot more of him than we do so they can make an informed judgment on whether he's got what it takes long term. Simple.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Arsene Wenger, no less, says foreign players take a year to reach their full potential. Even his top stars have in the past. But I'm sure you know better than him.

What is the point in giving a foreign player a 6 month contract to prove they've got what it takes if it's a football fact - because Arsene Wenger says so - that foreigns can take a year to settle?

He could be shit for the rest of this season but in your book that's to be expected.

You're spouting a football cliche that, at best, can be applied to foreign kids. Players with 300+ appearances and 100+ goals aged 27/28 don't take a year to settle. Were Ulloa or Vicente anonymous for a month? Our squad has a Spanish manager, a number of Spanish- speaking players, our stadium is adorned with Spanish flags and slogans, we've even done a special Spanish pie. In football terms the Albion is his Benidorm. A year to settle, my arse!!

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Pointless thread this because he wanted out to get a better financial deal. The question one should ask was why knowing that he was refusing to re-sign a contract since Burnleys summer approach and having CMS and Hoskins out long term where we not at least half ready to replace him.
Spanish Rodney ? Obika ? I might be wrong but both seemed panic buys or deals to me.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Our squad has a Spanish manager, a number of Spanish- speaking players, our stadium is adorned with Spanish flags and slogans, we've even done a special Spanish pie.

I suspect that Arsene is missing the pie aspect and this could explain their lack of trophies

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Spanish Rodney ? Obika ? I might be wrong but both seemed panic buys or deals to me.

If you believe David Burke - and I don't see why we shouldn't - I doubt either were panic buys as such. Just the best we could afford once the club had worked its way down the list of targets they maintain constantly for each position.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What is the point in giving a foreign player a 6 month contract to prove they've got what it takes if it's a football fact - because Arsene Wenger says so - that foreigns can take a year to settle?

He could be shit for the rest of this season but in your book that's to be expected.

You're spouting a football cliche that, at best, can be applied to foreign kids. Players with 300+ appearances and 100+ goals aged 27/28 don't take a year to settle. Were Ulloa or Vicente anonymous for a month? Our squad has a Spanish manager, a number of Spanish- speaking players, our stadium is adorned with Spanish flags and slogans, we've even done a special Spanish pie. In football terms the Albion is his Benidorm. A year to settle, my arse!!

Interesting that you posted last night on the same quote...your second one seems a bit more considered

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you believe David Burke - and I don't see why we shouldn't - I doubt either were panic buys as such. Just the best we could afford once the club had worked its way down the list of targets they maintain constantly for each position.

I do see your point there. Maybe the term I should have used then is 'last resort' deals. Because on the evidence so far, they, as you rightly indicate are highly unlikely to have been first picks.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I do see your point there. Maybe the term I should have used then is 'last resort' deals. Because on the evidence so far, they, as you rightly indicate are highly unlikely to have been first picks.

True. But I imagine it'll be a long time before we ever sign any first picks if we're going to abide by the rules while others flout them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Interesting that you posted last night on the same quote...your second one seems a bit more considered

Not really, just expanding on the subject. I feel the issue really encapsulates our season.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I thought it was more about his salary rather than his talent.

It was more about Gus not liking him rather than talent.

Actually....I,ll re-phrase that more truthfully;.........

It was everything about Gus not liking Murray rather than a 'talent' issue.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It was more about Gus not liking him rather than talent.

Actually....I,ll re-phrase that more truthfully;.........

It was everything about Gus not liking Murray rather than a 'talent' issue.

In which case, getting rid of him had nothing to do with the current management. So that answers the question for DarrenFreemansPerm.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The fact remains we should have given him a better contract.

Could we afford to meet his wage demands (or length of contract)

A player has a worth and he may not be seen as worth the extra he was asking for, especially when there are likely to be lot s of players available in the summer and possibly on less wages than they are now because of FFP

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Is this thread for real? He still hasn't scored for Burnley off the bench, we got a decent amount of money for him. How would Barnes have had any more impact off the bench here than he has had a Burnley i.e none and should we really turn down three quarters of a million pounds for a player like that? Some people have very short memories...

How many minutes has he played, If he plays from the start he will start scoring, 5-mins at the end of a game would see most top strikers also failing to score ... but we have that 3rd div replacement so your obviously very happy with him

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If they thought he had the talent they certainly would have paid the money. I bet CMS is on more than what Murray was offered.

But again I thought it was Gus that really, really wanted CMS. Seemed that way at the time. If so, the only mistake the club made there was trusting his judgment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here