Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Oscar getting the support he deserves/needs from above?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Why not, we are told that is an increased budget to the previous season that brought in Bridge, Hammond on loan and the permanent signings of Crofts, Bruno, Kusczak, Lopez and Orlandi. I know which set of signings look the best to me.

True. Perhaps wage demands have gone up too as a knock-on from the much improved TV deal for the top flight.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
What is the average wage in the PL? 25k a week+? Our average wage 9k a week. We just need to find a proven goalscorer/creative midfielder not wanted by his club who are willing to accept 9k a week for him. Simples :rolleyes:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
True. Perhaps wage demands have gone up too as a knock-on from the much improved TV deal for the top flight.

My view is Poyet had more say in who came in and not left to Burke to source the players for his selection.
Barber in his last interview quoted Burke as saying that we are already seeing wage demands fall.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What is the average wage in the PL? 25k a week+? Our average wage 9k a week. We just need to find a proven goalscorer/creative midfielder not wanted by his club who are willing to accept 9k a week for him. Simples :rolleyes:

Well, except that we can afford £50k pw on a 93-day loan (from the cup run) that is extra cash we weren't expecting. £50k pw, and still meet FFP. AND, that's also without spending the Bridcutt proceeds, which were also unbudgeted!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

Or a deal like the Bridge and Hammond deals where their club paid a percentage.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
My view is Poyet had more say in who came in and not left to Burke to source the players for his selection.

That would certainly seem to make sense with the likes of Bridge and Bruno. I'd have said Ulloa too but the club (not just Gus) watched him for months. We know Gus was very persuasive when it came to selling the dream to players - but he also wanted a budget which is unsustainable. So what else can the club do? It'll be interesting to see whether Oscar sways them towards some Spanish signings in the summer after a full season getting the measure of the Championship.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Well, except that we can afford £50k pw on a 93-day loan (from the cup run) that is extra cash we weren't expecting. £50k pw, and still meet FFP. AND, that's also without spending the Bridcutt proceeds, which were also unbudgeted!

True in theory. But they would have to be top quality (ie Bridge/Vicente quality) for that money, not some overpaid, injury prone cast-off like BZ for example.

Or a deal like the Bridge and Hammond deals where their club paid a percentage.

That's the problem - deals like that are not around at the moment according to David Burke, certainly not like last season anyway.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I think the OP is right to ask the initial question, and while he may be being supported in line with the clubs ability, it may not be as initially promised.

I personally would be very surprised if this keeps going the way it is that OG is still here next season.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I think a more relevant question should be "is OG getting the support of the fans?"

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
True in theory. But they would have to be top quality (ie Bridge/Vicente quality) for that money, not some overpaid, injury prone cast-off like BZ for example.

That's the problem - deals like that are not around at the moment according to David Burke, certainly not like last season anyway.

That could well be because David Burke on his own is not as respected without Poyet and Burke on his own is never going to attract players like Bridge, Bruno, Kusczak, Lopez and Orlandi, which is my worry

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
That could well be because David Burke on his own is not as respected without Poyet and Burke on his own is never going to attract players like Bridge, Bruno, Kusczak, Lopez and Orlandi, which is my worry

The evidence so far is compelling. Which one of the players that we signed since Poyet left has been a ROARING success? Ward is about the most consistent.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
This tweet post game has me a little worried

[tweet]437283117934866432[/tweet]

From very early on he has wanted an attacking midfielder and more up top and here we are end of Feb and he is still asking. Whether that is Burke, the scouting or, gulp, the top man in Mr Bloom have they supported Oscar as much as they could have? Or, having seen what he can do with all the injuries are they happy to let him get on with it and the players he currently has?

The tweet doesn't say enough to judge one way or the other

It could be a general lighthearted conversation and reply (in that every manager may want to bring in loan / perminent players (but know that the players they would like that would improve the team just arn't available))

It also doesn't go on to ask why OG hasn't brought in players, it could be that the club have tried hard and done all it can to achieve this for OG but other obsticles have prevented it from happening such as players not wishing to leave their parent club, they are still wanted by their parent club, other teams have offered better deals than we could to take them on loan (parachute payments could be a factor here) It could be geographic or a hundred other possible factors including the possibility that players who will improve us just arn't available

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Exactly right and my worry also. So far both Stephens (who may be ok) and Obika have been signed because Jones liked them, and if we are reliant on his judgement then God help us.

Which players. Andrews? Ward? Stephens? Chicksen? All seem ok to me

Obika is probably the standard we're likely to get loan-wise up front - and Rodriguez has been here five minutes.

So that leaves Agustein. Probably the one real disappointment given how good he SHOULD be. Given the budget we have, it seems like we've chosen fairly well overall. You can't blame Burke and colleagues for the budget.

Not sure I agree.....

Andrews - we seem to be paying a loan player to sit on the bench - surely that does not make sense.
Ward - has been good in the main
Chicksen - was signed mainly for the development squad
Stephens - too early - see above.
Rodriguez - too early, though other than Doncaster has not been at it yet.

But that leaves......

Obika - not good based on early form
Agustein - waste of a salary as never plays
Lopez - form has been poor most of the year

I would argue that is one good signing, one who could be, one who is for the future and four who have not made a decent contribution.

The thing that has saved us is the emergence of Ince and more lately March.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.

I counter that with what upson said in his recent interview which was that players shouldnt sign for a manager, they sign for a club. A manager could go tomorrow and your left on a contract (I think also have a sligh dig at bridders also). People sign by and to Brighton and who is in charge is only a factor to that.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I counter that with what upson said in his recent interview which was that players shouldnt sign for a manager, they sign for a club. A manager could go tomorrow and your left on a contract (I think also have a sligh dig at bridders also). People sign by and to Brighton and who is in charge is only a factor to that.

Upson still signed for Poyet though and sorry I disagree about the manager not being a factor, I think it is a massive factor as he plays and trains for that guy, not for any Director of Football David Burke types.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007

That may be true up to a point - PB himself said that we should not underestimate the pulling power of Poyet. In many ways he is a hard act to follow.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Exactly right and my worry also. So far both Stephens (who may be ok) and Obika have been signed because Jones liked them, and if we are reliant on his judgement then God help us.

Not sure I agree.....

Andrews - we seem to be paying a loan player to sit on the bench - surely that does not make sense.
Ward - has been good in the main
Chicksen - was signed mainly for the development squad
Stephens - too early - see above.
Rodriguez - too early, though other than Doncaster has not been at it yet.

But that leaves......

Obika - not good based on early form
Agustein - waste of a salary as never plays
Lopez - form has been poor most of the year

I would argue that is one good signing, one who could be, one who is for the future and four who have not made a decent contribution.

The thing that has saved us is the emergence of Ince and more lately March.

So you've included Lopez as a flop - who was here last season. Don't see how you can pin that on Burke then if all the good stuff was down to Gus before.

As for March and Ince, isn't the idea to bring players through that are good enough for the first team? So they haven't really 'saved us'. They've just made it harder to bring new blood in because it's unlikely there are many established players around that would merit vastly higher wages than that pair. Is Burke just supposed to pretend the youngsters don't exist and hinder their development by blocking their path into the side?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Bridge, Barnes, Bridcutt, Vicente, Noone - and you could argue he could have done more to sign Conway too.

As far as I'm aware, David Burke is now responsible for all transfer activity.

Assuming (although certainly not being naive enough to believe) that DB has sole responsibility for acquisitions and departures:-

Bridge - Far too expensive for us; missed half of Reading's games with injuries; Ward doing an excellent job in that position both defensively and providing goal scoring opportunities
Barnes - Good journeyman player but not one of our best; wanted more than the club were willing to pay; good price obtained for him given his contract expires in the summer
Bridcutt - Head totally turned by Poyet and wanted away; probably at least doubled his wages, no way we could compete; may not have fitted into OG's style even if he didn't want to go
Vicente - Most talented player of the bunch but too big a risk with his mental and physical fraility; exciting cameos on a "nice to have occasionally but don't rely on me" basis; thanks for the memories
Noone - excellent piece of business, 3 wingers at the time (March only on the horizon then) Buckley & KLL preferred by the club and, more importantly at the time as he had a finger in absolutely every pie, Gus.
Conway - Possibly, but how many wingers do we want? (Buckley, KLL, March, Rodriguez) and it's a huge stretch of anyones imagination to say Conway was one of our best players.

In reality, DB has a team of people including scouts, analysts and consultants working for and with him and all the important decisions about players would be ratified by the board as well and the manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here