Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Derby Way, 2017-18 edition

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Summary of how we went into the 2014 playoffs and you battered us. Some of your fans were less than gracious in victory that evening which is where the one-upsmanship and bitterness stems from.

I seem to be in a minority (on this board at least) in liking an away day in Derby, I like the city, great pubs and pride park, as mentioned by someone else, is by far the best of the 'flatpacks' for want of a better term.

I understand, there was/is a complete bellend of a QPR fan in the office that didn't know how to be magnanimous in victory after that game, I put that down to him rather than QPR fans in general. Losing big games isn't nice, for instance today I think Richard Osman is a cock, I'll be back liking him in a week or so.

Derby is an easy place to visit, ground close to the city centre and like you say, if you like pubs......

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Tell us more (I clicked on the link, but it looked a bit dull, and you can phrase it so much better).

Also, what's happened with the QPR fine?

Elevator Pitch on Derby

1: They've transferred the contracts of the apprentices and some back office staff to another company, but in the press release said that wages had gone up by 4% but forgot to mention 100 employees were no longer working there.

2: Tom Ince was sold to Huddersfield on July 4th 2017 , but the sale has gone through the books for the year ended 30 June 2017, which helps FFP.

3: They've given residual values to players, in contravention of the accounting rules, which reduced the amortisation charge, and therefore losses, which is good for FFP.

Championship Amortisation to Opening Intangible 2017.JPG

In respect of QPR, they are disputing the independent ruling on their artificial boosting of profits in 2013/14 and the subsequent £50 million fine, which goes to charity. The lawyers are making a fortune from this, using all their delaying and filibustering skills to defer judgement and keep the meter running four years after the issue first arose....ironically after beating serial bottlers Derby County at Wembley to achieve promotion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
1: They've transferred the contracts of the apprentices and some back office staff to another company, but in the press release said that wages had gone up by 4% but forgot to mention 100 employees were no longer working there.
Sounds dodgy from an FFP point of view.
2: Tom Ince was sold to Huddersfield on July 4th 2017 , but the sale has gone through the books for the year ended 30 June 2017, which helps FFP.
But for FFP purposes the league should just go with the correct date, right?
3: They've given residual values to players, in contravention of the accounting rules, which reduced the amortisation charge, and therefore losses, which is good for FFP.
Is that really wrong if that's the way the want to do it long term? It just postpones the point at which the cost is going to hit them. Seems ok to me.

In respect of QPR, they are disputing the independent ruling
:lol:
The lawyers are making a fortune from this
They always do. I ****ing hate lawyers.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Elevator Pitch on Derby

View attachment 96922

In respect of QPR, they are disputing the independent ruling on their artificial boosting of profits in 2013/14 and the subsequent £50 million fine, which goes to charity. The lawyers are making a fortune from this, using all their delaying and filibustering skills to defer judgement and keep the meter running four years after the issue first arose....ironically after beating serial bottlers Derby County at Wembley to achieve promotion.
I did wonder how Derby had managed to buy about 35 strikers over the past few years (and pay big wages) without FFP becoming an issue. The answer is that they are cheating.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Is that really wrong if that's the way the want to do it long term? It just postpones the point at which the cost is going to hit them. Seems ok to me.

Because I'm a saddo accounts geek I read the whole article (very good btw El Pres).

It's not ok because the accounting rules specifically state that it's not ok. It's cheating.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Had one of my best Away weekends up at Derby a few years back, despite the game being dreadful. Cheap as chips chips hotel, food and drinks, great pub with a beer festival on near the station (The Brunswick I think?) where home and away fans sang and mixed merrily before and after the game, and a ground and crowd that generates a decent atmosphere, albeit being in the middle of a very dull business park. The aforementioned abuse of Calde and Solly (who was still being booed and jeered even as he was being stretchered off, classy) and the level of homophobic nonsense soured things the next time round so I'm not surprised a fair few of our lot are enjoying Derby's current plight (relatively speaking).

SAC

May 21, 2014
Derby fans in the (Bricklayers Arms) pub were on good form, very knowledgeable and pessimistic about their chances. Derby fans (mostly younger) in Bishop's Park were mostly spoiling for a fight and seemingly singing about a Forest fan (?) who died on a running machine (hard to be sure due to the accent and slurred lyrics). Fulham fans waited until after the match to behave like dicks in front of the Derby fans. All very amusing for a neutral.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sounds dodgy from an FFP point of view.
But for FFP purposes the league should just go with the correct date, right?

:lol:
They always do. I ****ing hate lawyers.

Their deviation from mandatory standards on amortisation of costs isn't OK. It's against company law.

It's not just a football/FFP issue. For anyone trading with or lending to a limited company, they have to know that the financial position (balance sheet) is true and fair in accordance with accounting standards/The Companies Act. Auditors then have to sign off to confirm that. The directors are not permitted to ignore company law and reinvent the rules as they see fit, to lie about the financial position and result to that date.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Anyone but Boro. A rancid away trip to one of the dullest nonentity football clubs in the league, I hope Villa smash the granny out of them in the 2nd leg. I never want to see us play them again.

Fulham v Villa final ? I'd lean towards Fulham as its such a top, top day out. But Villa are a proper big club and one I'd always look forward to seeing us play. Just so long as Boro don't weasel their way up, its all good.
On the contrary - hate Boro and Villa, although Boro far more. So I hope Boro beat Villa and then lose by a hatful in the final.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Derby fans in the (Bricklayers Arms) pub were on good form, very knowledgeable and pessimistic about their chances. Derby fans (mostly younger) in Bishop's Park were mostly spoiling for a fight and seemingly singing about a Forest fan (?) who died on a running machine (hard to be sure due to the accent and slurred lyrics). Fulham fans waited until after the match to behave like dicks in front of the Derby fans. All very amusing for a neutral.

Forest's chairman / major investor before Fawaz died on a running machine.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
We're 1 from 4 aren't we - bang on expectations.

I think both Brentford and Sheffield Utd have poor records (no wins from 8 attempts or something) and Fulham's own record isn't all that I believe,

And Preston, 9 failed attempts out of 10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here