Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't want to re-hash the many threads on the topic but today possibly marks the end of a long era of regret resulting from leaving a game early.

I was 12 years old and a season ticket holder. I'd travel to each home game on the No.2 bus from Shoreham. After the matches there would be massive queues for the bus home, and the buses that came along seemed to all go to Mile Oak or Hangleton with only the occasional 2 or 2a. So, if the match looked done and dusted, I'd leave at the 85 minute mark and be head of the queue. That is until the day in 1983 when we played Spurs at the Goldstone. As the 2nd half progressed, we didn't look like we were going to recover from 1-0 down, so I decided to cut my losses and head for the bus.

As I started walking along the Old Shoreham Road I heard a massive cheer - we'd just equalised. I was annoyed but pleased .We'd gained a point and I was still going to get home early. Then, as I reached the bus stop, another roar. We'd come back with two goals in the last two minutes to gain a famous victory. And I'd missed it. Never has being front of the queue felt so worthless, the appearance of the bus coming over the hill felt like a dagger to my heart and I've never been so miserable being on the top deck at the front - I didn't even pretend to drive.

From that day, I vowed never to leave a game early again and I never have. Through drubbings and drabbings, I've stayed until the bitter end because, as that match taught me, you just never know.

This evening marks the first chance I've had in 35 years to see Brighton beat Spurs at home in the top flight. No matter what the score at 85 minutes, I'll be sticking around cos I may not be around in another 35 years.

So, to the early leavers, I understand the attraction of leaving but I guarantee you won't spend 35 years regretting staying at a match or remembering the extra 30 minutes you had to queue. But you may end up regretting leaving and missing something magical.

Nice try.

Unfortunately it is 40 years since I could get the bus home to Portslade after a game. Now it is an 85 mile drive to somewhere else. Plus 40 minutes in the car park if I don't leave on 85 minutes.

So if we are 1-0 down and come back to win tonight I will be delighted, and will be smiling as I limp to the car park, safe in the knowledge that I won't have to wait another 35 years to see us play Spurs in the league. And you never know, next season it may be an afternoon kick off, and I may stay for a beer after the game.

(I leave when I want, OK?) :kiss::shrug:

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Nice try.

Unfortunately it is 40 years since I could get the bus home to Portslade after a game. Now it is an 85 mile drive to somewhere else. Plus 40 minutes in the car park if I don't leave on 85 minutes.

So if we are 1-0 down and come back to win tonight I will be delighted, and will be smiling as I limp to the car park, safe in the knowledge that I won't have to wait another 35 years to see us play Spurs in the league. And you never know, next season it may be an afternoon kick off, and I may stay for a beer after the game.

(I leave when I want, OK?) :kiss::shrug:

I also have a 80 mile drive home. I stay til the end then fast walk or run to the car park (I think it was named gumping in a previous thread). I also try to arrive early so I can park near the exit.

I'm not being all ISIS about early leavers - it's absolutely everyone's prerogative to leave whenever they want - I'm just trying to highlight the risk of heartache and regret that it entails. :cheers:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I also have a 80 mile drive home. I stay til the end then fast walk or run to the car park (I think it was named gumping in a previous thread). I also try to arrive early so I can park near the exit.

I'm not being all ISIS about early leavers - it's absolutely everyone's prerogative to leave whenever they want - I'm just trying to highlight the risk of heartache and regret that it entails. :cheers:

Be honest, if you didnt have the luxury of a car parking space (often by the exit) and had to use park n ride like most who live a fair way away, would you still stay till the end of every game, knowing its going to add a minimum of 45 mins to your journey home midweek, presumably with work the next day?

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Be honest, if you didnt have the luxury of a car parking space (often by the exit) and had to use park n ride like most who live a fair way away, would you still stay till the end of every game, knowing its going to add a minimum of 45 mins to your journey home midweek, presumably with work the next day?

Honestly, I'd probably not come to evening games, certainly not as many. Being so far away, it's just about do-able with the car parking. I know that might seem strange but I just hate leaving sporting events early. Feels the same to me as leaving a movie or play before the end. But, like I've said, not trying to pass judgement on those who do leave early- just offering some light-hearted advice.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I have to get down from Essex which involves a lot of arsing about with parking in Lewes then all the rigmarole before and after with trains etc.

I never leave before the end. Although, I must admit it's tempting.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Wish there had been NSC 35 years ago!

:lolol:

I've had regrets in the past believe me.
My biggest one was not being able to get a ticket for the Beatles at the Hippodrome in 1963, as the queue was too long. I went with my friend to stand round the back to see them arrive. We stood there for the whole concert, but I had to be in at 10pm, I knew I would be in deep doo doo if I was late, so I left my autograph book with her and went back to Portslade.
Not only did the Fab Four sign autographs but the stage door johnnies let fans go into the dressing room, ten at a time. I would have met them as well as getting their signatures.
She was so excited at meeting them she forgot all about my book.

I struggled with that one for years, but as I said, it didn't change anything. You can't turn the clock back.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I don't want to re-hash the many threads on the topic but today possibly marks the end of a long era of regret resulting from leaving a game early.

I was 12 years old and a season ticket holder. I'd travel to each home game on the No.2 bus from Shoreham. After the matches there would be massive queues for the bus home, and the buses that came along seemed to all go to Mile Oak or Hangleton with only the occasional 2 or 2a. So, if the match looked done and dusted, I'd leave at the 85 minute mark and be head of the queue. That is until the day in 1983 when we played Spurs at the Goldstone. As the 2nd half progressed, we didn't look like we were going to recover from 1-0 down, so I decided to cut my losses and head for the bus.

As I started walking along the Old Shoreham Road I heard a massive cheer - we'd just equalised. I was annoyed but pleased .We'd gained a point and I was still going to get home early. Then, as I reached the bus stop, another roar. We'd come back with two goals in the last two minutes to gain a famous victory. And I'd missed it. Never has being front of the queue felt so worthless, the appearance of the bus coming over the hill felt like a dagger to my heart and I've never been so miserable being on the top deck at the front - I didn't even pretend to drive.

From that day, I vowed never to leave a game early again and I never have. Through drubbings and drabbings, I've stayed until the bitter end because, as that match taught me, you just never know.

This evening marks the first chance I've had in 35 years to see Brighton beat Spurs at home in the top flight. No matter what the score at 85 minutes, I'll be sticking around cos I may not be around in another 35 years.

So, to the early leavers, I understand the attraction of leaving but I guarantee you won't spend 35 years regretting staying at a match or remembering the extra 30 minutes you had to queue. But you may end up regretting leaving and missing something magical.

Very well said but after all this time the Albion God has forgiven you. Let's beat Spurs tonight and put this nightmare of yours finally to rest.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Great post and so true.

I have only ever left one game early which was the hammering we took from Bristol City at Withdean in one of McGhee's first games. I can't quite remember what was so bad about that game and many other defeats out of the hundreds I've been to that I felt I needed to leave early but I did. We obviously didn't make a miraculous comeback that day but it has stuck with me ever since and I still have a tinge of regret that I did it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here