Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leaving early

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Unless you're Alanis Morrisette, I'm not sure about the irony of a rugby stadium that has a capacity of 80,000 and was originally built in 1906.

You still haven't enlightened me to better arenas for transport links.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I know it doesn't suit everyone but as usual we stayed for a post match pint watched the highlight's in the West Lower concourse walked down to the station, no queues on the bridge and waited five minutes for the Lewes train which was fairly empty.
It works well for me that some leave early as it makes my journey easier.

THIS. Stayed till the end, had a pint, straight on a train and home. I reckon if I had not had a pint and straight to train queues I would have got home about 10 mins earlier. It really is worth waiting 20/25 mins to not have to queue up in the cold.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
You still haven't enlightened me to better arenas for transport links.

Thank you grasshopper. You'll have to find your enlightenment elsewhere. I have what I need on what this subject. It's scope is more than just transport links and stadia.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Thank you grasshopper. You'll have to find your enlightenment elsewhere. I have what I need on what this subject. It's scope is more than just transport links and stadia.

Having been to many of our stadiums in the UK including all the top ones of all events and none stand out as any better than the Amex. In fact many are much much worse and leave it totally to those attending to sort their transport requirements out. Few stadiums have their own bus station, coach parking area, railway station, car parking and even pay those attending to use them.

Honestly not sure what you're on about, but happy to leave (early) it.

The point of leaving early is to avoid spending ages stuck in a queue. The reason people get stuck in a queue is because other people are ahead of you; therefore the time of leaving (and speed outside the ground) depends on how many other people are also leaving earlier than you.

The only way you can "win" is by leaving earlier than others, but this becomes an increasingly hopeless as the earlier people leave, the earlier you have to leave to make it 'worthwhile' (no-one wants to leave early, miss loads of the match and then be stuck in a queue anyway).

My last year of having a season ticket we would leave on 76 minutes to beat the 80 minute leavers.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Having been to many of our stadiums in the UK including all the top ones of all events and none stand out as any better than the Amex. In fact many are much much worse and leave it totally to those attending to sort their transport requirements out. Few stadiums have their own bus station, coach parking area, railway station, car parking and even pay those attending to use them.

Honestly not sure what you're on about, but happy to leave (early) it.

What you talking about Willis?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
We always leave after the final whistle.....have a brisk walk to the Mill Road bus queue ( to old to run) get on a bendy bus normally within 30 mins, Arrive Mill Hill normally about 17:30
Get home by 20:00 ( yes 8pm) stop moaning.....................

Blimey! - Wish I knew your secret - I’m in ESL - don’t hang about after the final whistle and apart from the Palace Cup game have had at least a 45 minute wait and quite often over an hour wait. Yesterday got to Mill Rd at 18:10.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
When still living in Brighton I always cycled to the Amex, cycle lanes pretty much the whole way, flat roads, and best of all you're your own boss, the bicycle arriving and departing the Amex based on your own chosen timetable, no queueing required and home a lot earlier than by train, bus or car. There 'should' be thousands more fans cycling to the Amex than there currently are.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Unless you're Alanis Morrisette, I'm not sure about the irony of a rugby stadium that has a capacity of 80,000 and was originally built in 1906.

It’s ironic because when there is a large crowd in any stadium it will take a while to get home. When we played at Gillingham and Withdean we did not have these ‘problems’ so it’s the price of success. In my view there is no issue. You have to queue for a bit to get on a train, that’s all. Just a matter of being patient.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
At Wembley, empty seats appeariing in the Arsenal areas after 68 minutes.

It must be due to long journeys ahead for Rupert's and Tarquin’s, back to Islington and Brighton.

Fancy missing a Cup Final like that. Or are they running away from the Spurs fans in the home end?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I haven't read the whole thread but here's a thing. For a Saturday game, 3pm kick off I tell my wife that my son and I will be leaving the house about 1-ish and we will not be home till at least 6,30 and she knows that's the deal. Unless there's a MASSIVE cock up that leaves enough time to get there, buy a programme, visit the club shop, have a pint or two and get in our seats for 2.50. Then stay till the final whistle, clap the players off, have a pint or two and get the train home, Son knows we'll queue for the train and him and his mates have found other kids to play football with after the game while the adults have a quick drink.

I know there are a minority of fans who live far away. I know that sometimes an early or late kick off will stitch up those who are as close as London or the further reaches of East or West Sussex. But this desertion of the team? This RUNNING? In the majority of cases it's to think that you're very cleverly jumping the queue or it's to give you a full twenty minutes back at home with Doris or whatever she's called when half the point of the visit to the Amex has been to get away from her.

I just don't get it.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The point of leaving early is to avoid spending ages stuck in a queue. The reason people get stuck in a queue is because other people are ahead of you; therefore the time of leaving (and speed outside the ground) depends on how many other people are also leaving earlier than you.

The only way you can "win" is by leaving earlier than others, but this becomes an increasingly hopeless as the earlier people leave, the earlier you have to leave to make it 'worthwhile' (no-one wants to leave early, miss loads of the match and then be stuck in a queue anyway).

But you can also avoid spending ages stuck in a queue by leaving much later, when most of the queues have gone. It's not for everyone, I admit.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Re: League Cup Final. Probably my most painful football memory is watching Bryan Robson lift the cup in 83. But I'm glad I (and just about all BHA fans) stayed to see it in person. There's a lot of nonsense talked about 'respect' in football, but the trend now is to bugger off at the first opportunity if you lose. Poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here