Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crofty looking good in pre-Season Spanish Training

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If only he could control and pass a ball..

Ince and JFC have to be properly thrown in this season, along with Toko, Stephens and the new signings.

Unless we have injury problems I can see Mr Crofts getting a lot of bench time.

Hes great back up.

Couldn't disagree more mate - u seem to be forgetting how good he was cos he hasn't played in 5 months or so?!

As for putting Toko ahead of him... Can u see the problem with that?!

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Yep. All that.

Crofts is a machine, and we missed him badly when he got injured last season.

He'll be ahead of the young lads, and is a different player to Stephens. Toko I've never seen play so :shrug:

All midfielders should work hard and cover ground. It's not even a quality I think about when midefielders are discussed. It's a given. These sort of attitudes are antiquated and for me is the reason the England national side is so poor as those sort of qualities are valued more highly than technical ability. Even under Poyet he started to get more and more bench time. He's a machine, oh great. He's a different player to Stephens for sure. In every area he's a lesser player.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
All midfielders should work hard and cover ground. It's not even a quality I think about when midefielders are discussed. It's a given. These sort of attitudes are antiquated and for me is the reason the England national side is so poor as those sort of qualities are valued more highly than technical ability. Even under Poyet he started to get more and more bench time. He's a machine, oh great. He's a different player to Stephens for sure. In every area he's a lesser player.

I appreciate your points on it being a given - but there are different levels of energy from different players - it would be boring if they were all the same!

Stephens impressed after his first handful of games (where he was in truth fairly poor) but you're saying Stephens is a better tackler/closer of the ball than Crofts with that statement?! That's only naming 2 things I can think of where Crofts is stronger....

I would pick both in my side if on form fwiw!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Mmm, taking away his little goal flurry I'd be hard pressed to even remember Crofts was on the pitch most of the time.

Runs around tirelessly with little effect though IMO.

Great squad player but if he's deemed best to start then others are either injured, off form or we've cocked it up in the transfer market.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Andrew Crofts abilities as a player, have nothing what so ever to do with why he was or wasn't playing under Poyet. Strange how Poyet himself said Crofts was his number 1 transfer target, then hardly used him???......But then Crofts is a very vocal player, the sort of player most managers love to have around!!!!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Toko is a given that he will start in the holding role, and we will get another one in who can perform that role, that leaves crofts challenging Ince, JFC, Stephens, and another signing I have no doubt for those 2 central births, for me all those other players are much much better options than Crofts and players that are likely to improve greatly with game time. As I say it's great to see him back fit but for me if Crofts is in our starting 11 we are either injury ravaged or something is very wrong. Crofts ability as a footballer are way of those mentioned. That without throwing in a hopefully rejuvenated Kemy.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Mmm, taking away his little goal flurry I'd be hard pressed to even remember Crofts was on the pitch most of the time.

Great squad player but if he's deemed best to start then others are either injured, off form or we've cocked it up in the transfer market.

Well said that man.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Really??? I think Crofts is one of the first names on the teamsheet and as good as anyone in the division at what he does. I also think he would be a far more effective captain than Greer and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was named as Sammi's captain.

Yes he was great last year.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Andrew Crofts abilities as a player, have nothing what so ever to do with why he was or wasn't playing under Poyet. Strange how Poyet himself said Crofts was his number 1 transfer target, then hardly used him???......But then Crofts is a very vocal player, the sort of player most managers love to have around!!!!

When does a manager ever say a player wasnt his number 1 transfer target. You may well be right with the reason he didn't play as much under Poyet. I think it's because he realised that the possesion football he wanted to play wasnt possible with him in the side. This may well be different under Hyypia, although as other posters have said. He's up against, JFC, Ince, Toko, Stephens, Agustein and any new signing to get a starting place. It's tough going for all those lads to get a start this year.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Those doubting Crofts ability could also remember that when he left us to go to Norwich, he was their division winning skipper. He is a leader as well as a good midfielder. I agree with papajaff that he was in the running for Player of the season before his injury.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We simply cannot hold back the development of Ince, JFC and Stephens by playing Crofts in my opinion. If Crofts had more ability than these players you could make a case for his inclusion in a starting 11 but he simply does not. But it's a squad game and I am sure like last season we will get injuries and he will be required. Then I will be very grateful he is part of our squad.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Mmm,taking away his little goal flurry I'd be hard pressed to even remember Crofts was on the pitch most of the time.

The one thing we CAN'T do is take away anyone's little goal flurries! Crofty was top scorer when he got injured, I personally wouldn't care if 'Humpty Dumpty' was playing and was shit for us every week if he was banging them in. Not the best player we have, but he's got the knack of being in the right place.....it's a talent, not luck.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
We simply cannot hold back the development of Ince, JFC and Stephens by playing Crofts in my opinion. If Crofts had more ability than these players you could make a case for his inclusion in a starting 11 but he simply does not. But it's a squad game and I am sure like last season we will get injuries and he will be required. Then I will be very grateful he is part of our squad.

Crofts was superb until he got injured and was scoring goals as well.Do you actually go to watch the Albion?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Crofts had a lucky spell in front of goal before his injury, people have forgotten how poor he was his first season back, goals have never really been part of his game. And yes thank you I have watched us for the last 25 years on and off when I wasn't playing myself.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm not saying crofts isn't a decent player, he clearly has attributes but compared to the options we have available he comes up short, I would bet quite a bit of money when his deal runs out next season we won't offer a new one.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I'm not saying crofts isn't a decent player, he clearly has attributes but compared to the options we have available he comes up short, I would bet quite a bit of money when his deal runs out next season we won't offer a new one.

If we do. It'll be considerably less than he's on now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here