Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] New build prefabricated houses, any experiences?

boik

0d26201a4bb63de6e8f29af37a1d8c9b.jpg

Google Huf Haus & get the Germans to do it for you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought Huf Haus were mega-bucks? Or is cost not a problem?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've seen enough episodes of Grand Designs to know that you'll run out of money half way through and have to remortgage your existing property, the flatpack will fall off a truck somewhere outside Stavanger, requiring some serious, schedule-busting repairs, and your wife will unexpectedly find herself pregnant in week four of the build.

But it'll look lovely in the end.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I've seen enough episodes of Grand Designs to know that you'll run out of money half way through and have to remortgage your existing property, the flatpack will fall off a truck somewhere outside Stavanger, requiring some serious, schedule-busting repairs, and your wife will unexpectedly find herself pregnant in week four of the build.

But it'll look lovely in the end.

Curious the number of women who find themselves pregnant soon after a whistlestop visit from Kevin McCloud innit.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I've been out of the country for 13 years and it was an issue but how easy is it to get mortgages on prefab houses these days? Just worth keeping in mind that if you might not need one to build it, at some point it will need to be sold.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Been in property many years. My thoughts are, modern pre fabs are quite easy and quick and cheaper than traditional build to erect but there is still a stigma about them. Most lenders are not convinced and only a few will lend, so you may have a much smaller pool of people you could sell on to. This will of course likely to have an impact on what price you get for the property in the future.

Also unlike Brighton and Hove , if you buy in an area of less demand like Scotland or Wales etc , there is no guarantee the property will go up in value certainly over the next 5-7 years. If you are not bothered about this, then nothing to worry about, but it would mean if you wanted to buy a property in a more desirable area like btn and hove, you might find yourself left behind budget wise.

Think very hard, people often think the grass is greener elsewhere but from my experience it rarely is

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I also live in Wales but the quote was "there are some seriously cheap houses in beautiful remote / edge of village surroundings , having just been on a rekky in mid wales Plenty of local work along the M4 corridor but somewhere remote in mid Wales?

You can get to Wolverhampton/Birmingham from Aberystwyth in about 2hrs, likewise Chester/Liverpool, although those are best case scenario timings. Not my idea of a fun commute but I'm sure there's plenty on here that do more each day.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
The general principal is that it’s a great idea. The main building envelope is precision made in a factory without the risk of delays for traditional site erected methods. It comes to site and usually the shell is up and weather tight within a week. Internal trades can carry on while external finishes are off the critical path. This approach is usually more sustainable, more energy efficient and removes a lot of potential delays. Choosing the right company is key. Spend a bit of time reviewing previous projects and visit the factory. It’s a big investment after all. I’m an Architect we regularly design bespoke timber frame, SIP and lightweight metal frame houses. It’s a great way to build a new house efficiently, reducing cost risk and gaining sustainable benefits.
My practice has used Scotframe from Cumbernauld before. Great service and really good quality of build. One watch point is you need to get the ground floor slab built very precisely and absolutely level. The tolerances are very small but a competent contractor will sort that. I hope that helps

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here