Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are you an economy class recliner?

When flying economy class, do you recline your seat?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • Yes, if the person in front reclines.

Votes: 22 12.0%
  • Yes, but I'll ask the person behind first.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • No, never.

Votes: 115 62.5%
  • Other - please state

Votes: 12 6.5%

• Total voters

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I'm in the same position (or height).

Airline and train seats are painful enough these days, in terms of cramped legroom, without the seat in front attacking you.

I flew back from NY once and I couldn't even put my feet on the floor - legs were splayed out with knees pressed against the seats in front. Don't fly long-haul anymore unless I'm in the fortunate position of the client paying for business class or at least something better than economy.

Agreed. At 6’ 4” if I can’t afford premium economy at least, then I wouldn’t bother travelling.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It physically hurts and causes discomfort. I wouldn't want to cause another person pain and discomfort. Whenever I have reclined (when no one is behind me) the pay off seems so minimal I just can't get my head around ruining another person's journey for so little gain.

You're welcome to your opinion but I disagree. I've been on many long haul flights where people have reclined into me and I can't claim to have been hurt or had discomfort caused at any point. The only thing that got in the way was my English ego that felt I had a right to have someone ask permission to use a facility they'd paid for. Then I got over it pretty quickly because I realised it really just isn't a big deal.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Is this to do with the grounding of Dreamliners due to Rolls Royce engine problems and shortages? I see Virgin leased two old Air Berlin Airbus 332s when their Dreamliners were grounded. The Air Berlin aircraft didn’t have Premium Economy...that has gone down well!

Oh jeez don't tell me that ... I'm a grade A useless flyer as it is without any suggestion that things might be broken or the plane we're on is borrowed from another airline that can't use it

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
So, if you have someone tall or big behind you, you just think "sod em", I've paid for this so tough if it makes someone else uncomfortable? A little bit of consideration goes a long way for me.

I'd be questioning why they're in Economy class if they can't sit comfortably in the seats when they clearly need bigger room. I'd also question why they're selfish enough to think that I should behest to their ego and sit upright uncomfortably on a long haul flight, whilst not getting any sleep as a result, just because they aren't willing to pay for seats that fit them appropriately - and therein lies the hypocrisy of your post, in that you want recliners to think about other passengers behind them, but the passengers behind are in turn being selfish and not caring about the journey had by said recliners.

Like I said to one of the other posters, I've been on plenty of long haul flights where people have reclined in front of me and I can honestly say it's never genuinely inconvenienced me or made me feel uncomfortable. So I just find this whole argument about comfort rather lacking. It feels like an ego thing more than anything.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oh jeez don't tell me that ... I'm a grade A useless flyer as it is without any suggestion that things might be broken or the plane we're on is borrowed from another airline that can't use it

Edit - checking the schedule to LAX it seems that they are in fact still flying Dreamliners, they must have got the upgraded engine parts that are in very short supply :thumbsup:

They all fly to the same safety standards from the UK though

https://qz.com/1252012/one-of-norwe...atlantic-routes-will-be-contracted-to-hi-fly/

Last edited:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I've been on plenty of long haul flights where people have reclined in front of me and I can honestly say it's never genuinely inconvenienced me or made me feel uncomfortable. So I just find this whole argument about comfort rather lacking. It feels like an ego thing more than anything.

Just how short are you?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I recline. I nearly always fly long haul 12+ hours and night flights.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Same thing happened to me. Booked in December for 10 of us to go to LA next week on Norwegian. Got 10 seats all in exit row. Noticed last week that configuration of plane changed and we're now all in regular sests. Complaint fell on totally deaf ears ... like you, underwhelmed!

How did that happen, see below for their seat plans can only see 9 seats too?

cdf178139b686db950af1161c1112723.png

ee0a3e753630656aadcdd005153d331e.png

I’m assuming they changed the equipment to a 788 from a 789?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why? This is such an English attitude. Most foreigners don't care... they've paid for a seat on long haul, they want to be comfortable, so if it reclines then they recline.

I'd actually be questioning the people that AREN'T reclining on a long haul flight. How are you comfortable? Why would you do this to yourself? Be a normal person and get some sleep!

BA Heathrow to Bangalore a couple of weeks ago. Plane 90% full of Indians. The second the seatbelt light went off every single one of them reclined. So I did too but only to complete the game of dominoes. Problem was the bloke in front of me wouldn’t sit up when the meals came out until I complained to him and the stewardess told him to sit up.

I’d rather we all hadn’t than we all had but there was no way I was being the only uncomfortable one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
I find it very very annoying and if i can't plan either a premium economy or selected seat i have a plan b: can normally spot in advance the potential recliners and as soon as they reach for the button i press very hard into the back of the seat. normally enough to deter. if that doesn't work, and if meals haven't been served, complain. that normally works. i really can't see why airlines allow them.

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
Last week, when i arrived at my aisle seat there was a woman sitting in it, after realising her allotted seat was directly behind mine, I offered her my seat so she could be next to her husband - as soon as seat belt sign was turned off her seat reclined back for the full 8hrs:shootself

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Last week, when i arrived at my aisle seat there was a woman sitting in it, after realising her allotted seat was directly behind mine, I offered her my seat so she could be next to her husband - as soon as seat belt sign was turned off her seat reclined back for the full 8hrs:shootself

You should have just asked for your seat back.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I don't recline unless it's night and the person behind me has reclined and is asleep.

Biggest ***** are recliners while the meal is being served. Those ***** need a punch in the dick.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
BA Heathrow to Bangalore a couple of weeks ago. Plane 90% full of Indians. The second the seatbelt light went off every single one of them reclined. So I did too but only to complete the game of dominoes. Problem was the bloke in front of me wouldn’t sit up when the meals came out until I complained to him and the stewardess told him to sit up.

I’d rather we all hadn’t than we all had but there was no way I was being the only uncomfortable one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So 90% of the passengers that were Indian reclined for the entire journey did they.
You were lucky.
I flew Air India to New York, it seemed to me that 98% of the passengers farted through the entire journey.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
You're welcome to your opinion but I disagree. I've been on many long haul flights where people have reclined into me and I can't claim to have been hurt or had discomfort caused at any point. The only thing that got in the way was my English ego that felt I had a right to have someone ask permission to use a facility they'd paid for. Then I got over it pretty quickly because I realised it really just isn't a big deal.

I'm gonna guess you're not 6'4. If someone reclines into me there is a constant pressure on my knees.

Not much I can do about it on a coach, as if I travel with Seagulls Travel for example you can't pay for a seat with more leg room. I don't fly very often but it's generally a struggle to afford the cost of an economy flight over the pond never mind paying more. The casual comments about paying more on here make me wonder just how much some people earn! :D

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nope I don’t like it when the person in front of it does me and so I don’t inflict it on the person behind me, maybe I’m just a wimp?

**** everyone else seems to be the code to live by these days, can’t go that way personally.

Called manners. An aeroplane is too small and cramped a venue for thundercuntwomblry. And if the dick in front of me does a fat recline I'll kick him in the back all way. No point saying anything....

For me the worst aspect of economy is the kid behind kicking my seat. I will and always do ask the parents to sort it out. Always works.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here