Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Jeremy K Hunt - Foreign Secretary

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Obviously a lot of unrelenting anger there with Tories in general, going by the shear number of your posts.

What gives?

(I'm not an Tory diehard before you jump to that conclusion. I've voted for many parties, after rationally weighing up issues. For example, I voted for Blair in 97, C.Lucas, voted Remain, despise fox hunting and loathe Trump).

I've voted for all three major parties in my lifetime, but I don't loathe or hate any of them. What I do see is greed, corruption, cut backs, but blaming the people for not coping with the cut backs. I retired 4 years ago from the CJS, and see colleagues being blamed for wholesale machete strikes let alone cutbacks, each one having to do three people's work, working from home until 10pm, to try to keep up with their workload, and still sinking.
My son is a firefighter, his pension, that he pays 11% into, being changed, and many stations closed. Boris closed ten fire stations in London, and Grenfell happened.
I read about passenger manifestos being destroyed from the Windrush so perfectly legitimate British citizens are being locked up because they cannot prove they are legal.
Have these cut backs resulted in better services for the disabled, poor and the health service?
No, just rich people making more and more profits, and trying to put it abroad before the legislation comes in to prevent it. See, I even managed to avoid the B word.

No, I'm not angry. I just want to weep at what this country has become.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Ho- hum; yes, a very embarrassing mistake by Mr. Hunt, but still give me this rather than the combined intellect of Corbyn, McDonnell , Abbott etc. running the country.
As an aside, it is nice to see, in the Times today, that McDonnell is leading a shadow cabinet revolt over Corbyn's handling of the anti-semitism scandal engulfing the Labour party.
Additionally, methinks that there is a good old protest fomenting among moderate and sensible Labour MP's against the direction of the party under the present leadership.Long may it continue, so that for the good of the country, the Labour party will cease to be run by extremists, and once again become a party of decency, whilst either in Opposition or Government.

You're weird.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I've voted for all three major parties in my lifetime, but I don't loathe or hate any of them. What I do see is greed, corruption, cut backs, but blaming the people for not coping with the cut backs. I retired 4 years ago from the CJS, and see colleagues being blamed for wholesale machete strikes let alone cutbacks, each one having to do three people's work, working from home until 10pm, to try to keep up with their workload, and still sinking.
My son is a firefighter, his pension, that he pays 11% into, being changed, and many stations closed. Boris closed ten fire stations in London, and Grenfell happened.
I read about passenger manifestos being destroyed from the Windrush so perfectly legitimate British citizens are being locked up because they cannot prove they are legal.
Have these cut backs resulted in better services for the disabled, poor and the health service?
No, just rich people making more and more profits, and trying to put it abroad before the legislation comes in to prevent it. See, I even managed to avoid the B word.

This, But also any personal scandal involving an MP/Minister etc has become almost a daily event and the norm so much that
we accept it. That for me is sad and shows how standards of our politicians have reached the gutter.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This, But also any personal scandal involving an MP/Minister etc has become almost a daily event and the norm so much that
we accept it. That for me is sad and shows how standards of our politicians have reached the gutter.

I agree. I quoted corruption, but it seems that nothing is done about it. Ministers used to resign when caught out in misdemeanours, or downright lies, but now they just brazenly carry on. Boris Johnson hasn't even moved out of the multi million pound Foreign Secretary's residence yet.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Personally I don’t think recent ministers (Labour, LibDem in the coalition and Tory) are making more regular errors or minor mistakes compared to ministers of the last century. Ministers did not used to resign over an error like Hunt’s.

Feelings on this boil down to very polarised party politics:
a) You’re a Tory, you want to Hunt to stay.
b) You’re very much not, then it’s a case of Got Ya. You hated Hunt as Health Secretary and want this government to collapse.

This is a double edged sword for Tory haters. A Corbyn/McDonnell government would be destroyed, day in day out, by the court of public opinion. Way beyond the usual baddie of the Daily Mail. I know an entire school cohort, age 16, who are vehemently anti Corbyn etc. A reaction to the drip drip propaganda of their RE teacher who spent the last 5 years openly admitting he’s a Marxist and refusing to allow debate. I mention this because we are becoming a very divided nation, and there are millions of internet savvy young people of the lett and right active on in the internet, with the right equally ready to grind Corbyn into the ground.

Do not think Corbyn’s potential election will make the UK a relative paradise.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I agree. I quoted corruption, but it seems that nothing is done about it. Ministers used to resign when caught out in misdemeanours, or downright lies, but now they just brazenly carry on. Boris Johnson hasn't even moved out of the multi million pound Foreign Secretary's residence yet.

Perhaps I should read the whole thread but you aren’t comparing this gaff by Hunt with corruption are you, it is on the same thread?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I have now gone back a read a few posts now and I agree with all of the above, you also forgot to mention the shocking racism and anti Semitic behaviour of the Momentum part of HM Opposition!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have now gone back a read a few posts now and I agree with all of the above, you also forgot to mention the shocking racism and anti Semitic behaviour of the Momentum part of HM Opposition!

Yes, that too. The leadership should have stamped on that straightaway. They seem obsessed with the bad record of Israel but don't condemn other appalling states in the Middle East like the Yemen and Saudi Arabia.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Yes, that too. The leadership should have stamped on that straightaway. They seem obsessed with the bad record of Israel but don't condemn other appalling states in the Middle East like the Yemen and Saudi Arabia.

There's been loads of condemnation by Labour of other areas in the Middle East, in particular the sale of arms by the government to Saudi Arabia which has facilitated civilian deaths in Yemen.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Please show me, I'm open to learning.

A simple Google search of 'labour saudi arabia yemen' brings up loads of results.

We will demand an independent UN investigation into alleged war crimes in Yemen, and suspend arms sales to the Saudi-led coalition until it is concluded.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/11/labour-britain-foreign-policy-donald-trump

Labour has said the British government must be held partly responsible for civilian casualties in Yemen, after Jeremy Corbyn challenged Theresa May over the lavish welcome for the visiting Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman.

The Labour leader used prime minister’s questions to accuse May of failing to stand up to the Saudis over human rights abuses and possible war crimes in Yemen.

But Corbyn urged the prime minister to stop arms sales to Saudi Arabia over its intervention in Yemen, which has killed thousands of civilians and worsened a humanitarian catastrophe, and take the crown prince to task on human rights.

Speaking after PMQs, Corbyn’s spokesman expanded on Labour’s position, saying arms sales and the involvement of provided a level of complicity over the situation in Yemen.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/07/corbyn-urges-may-to-stop-arms-sales-to-saudi-arabia

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Even though it's factually incorrect?

I think you'll find [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] is correct.

Did you watch Newsnight last night? They had a hard left political journalist on, a big supporter of Momentum and he surprised me .... he said that this anti Semitism in the Labour Party has grown, with several vocal individuals on an anti all things Jewish agenda. Linked to their views on Palestine.

You know, the sort of people who won't comment on human rights abuse in (Fascist) Russian, or anywhere they see as welcome enemy of the West.

You will find that [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION], myself and many others consistently condemn all forms of racism. It goes beyond the warped party political view of a few.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I think you'll find [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] is correct.

Did you watch Newsnight last night? They had a hard left political journalist on, a big supporter of Momentum and he surprised me .... he said that this anti Semitism in the Labour Party has grown, with several vocal individuals on an anti all things Jewish agenda. Linked to their views on Palestine.

You know, the sort of people who won't comment on human rights abuse in (Fascist) Russian, or anywhere they see as welcome enemy of the West.

You will find that [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION], myself and many others consistently condemn all forms of racism. It goes beyond the warped party political view of a few.

I'm not really sure of your post and don't want to get into it as it's another issue. You're moving onto another subject. She said the leadership "don't condemn other appalling states in the Middle East like the Yemen and Saudi Arabia", but both Labour and Momentum members and leaders have talked quite a bit about this in negative terms, and so it's factually incorrect.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not really sure of your post and don't want to get into it as it's another issue. You're moving onto another subject. She said the leadership "don't condemn other appalling states in the Middle East like the Yemen and Saudi Arabia", but both Labour and Momentum members and leaders have talked quite a bit about this in negative terms, and so it's factually incorrect.

As I said, I'm willing to learn. Please provide links so I can read about it.

I do know that Jeremy Corbyn will upset a lot of people with his stance on the Falklands and disagree with him violently on that issue, not to mention the Northern Ireland issue.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here