Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man United could 'hand out song sheets to fans'

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Would need to be in Japanese, shirly?

On Saturday I got out of a cab outside Old Trafford, passed the statue and within 30 secs was asked by a Japanese tourist to take a photo of her in front of OT. Never happened anywhere else in 38 years of attending matches. I'm not making this up

I'd say the song sheets are a good idea

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
They should hand out a song sheet for'Always look on the bright side of life' from Monty Python.

Given the fact Utd are playing dire football and getting stuffed by City it would be the perfect song.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Why do some people get so hung up on this notion of atmosphere? A lot of what is being mentoned here, like fans with their backs to the game, is no better than canned laughter or the warm up man before a tv show recording.

For me I go to watch a game of football as my primary motivation, if there is a bit of singing, chanting and shouting abuse at the ref then that adds to the occasion, but doesn't make it.

To be honest I would rather watch a game in silence if we play well, rather than have a great manufactured atmosphere and play shite.

Got to totally disagree with this.The atmosphere at the Arsenal game for example was fantastic thanks to the singing and chanting.
Obviously if the home team is playing well the atmosphere will rise but if they are playing well and there's no singing etc
it would def be less of an occasion.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maybe they should get a drum?

Or possibly some sort of cheap light show and a display of falconry before the game.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
To be honest I did not think atmosphere was too bad at OT. Now the Emirates, that was a different league when it comes to lake of noise. The thing I did found odd was how they all got a left when they scored the second goal, in a way when some people leave when second goal goes in and you know the game is lost. Very strange.

It does make me pleased though that the Amex can not be expanded, as it seems the bigger stadiums just get tourist who do not add to the atmosphere, just dilute it.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Got to totally disagree with this.The atmosphere at the Arsenal game for example was fantastic thanks to the singing and chanting.
Obviously if the home team is playing well the atmosphere will rise but if they are playing well and there's no singing etc
it would def be less of an occasion.

Each to there own, which is the beauty of football I guess.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Why do some people get so hung up on this notion of atmosphere? A lot of what is being mentoned here, like fans with their backs to the game, is no better than canned laughter or the warm up man before a tv show recording.

For me I go to watch a game of football as my primary motivation, if there is a bit of singing, chanting and shouting abuse at the ref then that adds to the occasion, but doesn't make it.

To be honest I would rather watch a game in silence if we play well, rather than have a great manufactured atmosphere and play shite.

If crowds just sat and watched in silence with maybe the odd ripple of applause I wouldn't bother going to football at all; the drama and excitement of being there is inextricably linked to the atmosphere it generates. I can watch people good at football on TV.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Did anyone else think the singing section to the left of us at OT seemed a bit strange? There did not seem to be the usual interaction that you normally get between opposing fans. It was as though they were paid singers or something.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
If crowds just sat and watched in silence with maybe the odd ripple of applause I wouldn't bother going to football at all; the drama and excitement of being there is inextricably linked to the atmosphere it generates. I can watch people good at football on TV.

Which is my point entirely. The game itself will generate the atmosphere, you don't need a clown banging a drum, or a freekin band playing The Great Escape non-stop for 90 minutes. The atmosphere should be generated by the occasion and the football and not manufactured with hymn sheets and singing sections!!!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Judging by the fans on the trams I caught to and from the ground, the sheets would only need to be quite small. Basically "we hate Leeds scum, we hate Leeds scum...." ad infinitum. They could even print them for away fans.

I had no idea they had this going about Leeds, they can't have played them for a while?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Man Utd (like the other big clubs) have priced out the traditional supporter who liked a rousing singalong to support the team, to make room for the tourists.

Serves them right. No good bleating now.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton Magikoo (sp) from a few seasons ago anyone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here