Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Dealing with Anorexia

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Firstly, very sorry to hear about your daughter, it must be a nightmare. My sister went through what sounds like a similar experience. She was hospitalised a few times. I was a dopey 15/16 year old at the time but it made me realise how important she was to me and I do remember how amazing the psychologist was who talked to us as a family. My sister is now happily married with two amazing kids. Good on you for asking for help, wish I could provide more than a bit of encouragement. Stay strong.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Thanks all for the brilliant and supportive replies. I'll be in touch with those who've offered - thank you - and also reply to some of the specific posts later but wanted to check back in to show my appreciation. This is one of things that makes NSC great - and I truly appreciate the time you've taken to respond.

Lush

Mods' Pet
There's also an interesting by 'young people for young people' BBC documentary here.

Perhaps you might say that you and mum are thinking of watching it. You want to try and understand a bit better what she's going through so you can help. Perhaps she can watch it with you "in case you need help with some of the questions it raises"?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05nrwsy

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Hi
I am hoping the collective wisdom, knowledge and experience of NSC can offer some advice.

My 14 year old daughter has been diagnosed with anorexia and depression. She is being helped by the local authority eating disorder clinic and is not (yet) hospitalised. We're not making a lot of progress and she is still not acknowledging that she is ill and so, is still resisting eating. She is still losing weight and getting close to being hospitalised.

I think she is getting all the treatment and support that is available but my wife and I are really struggling. We are doing everything that we're being asked to in terms of how we engage with her around food and her accompanying tantrums but it is really hard to see our daughter crumbling before our eyes - ounce by ounce, tear by tear. Friends are being very supportive but we just don't know how to deal with the unrelenting stress, pressure and sadness. We're functioning but we know this is going to last a long time (or end in her dying from it) and need to work out how we're going to survive as well.

Although I hope no-one on NSC has had to deal with it, I expect someone has. Any advice, resources, guidance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

no tips im afraid just sympathy , cant imagine how terrible it.must be hope you get it sorted

Biker-Marty

Mar 15, 2018
So Sorry, to hear about your daughter.

As a sole carer for a father with Dementia, I can understand your feeling of frustration & the feeling of helplessness, in the situation.

The best thing I ever did, was to contact the Alzheimer's Society, who put me on a course, where I not only met with others who were in the same situation, but also able to chat through my frustrations with others, who could generally understand my issues, but also had good advice how to deal with situations.

The best advice I was given, was the importance of looking after yourself. Ensuring you have time to remove yourself from the situation, to have some fun & 'Me' time. Not always easy, or 'indeed' possible, but very important & no one wins if you make yourself ill. (something I learned, sadly, the hard way)
Luckily, I have great friends & other family members, who will go out of their way to ensure I get this 'Me' time.

I'm sure there are societies you can contact & will help & if offered I course, my advise, is to take it. I benefitted a lot from these.

Hope my advice helps & hope things get better, in the future.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
There's also an interesting by 'young people for young people' BBC documentary here.

Perhaps you might say that you and mum are thinking of watching it. You want to try and understand a bit better what she's going through so you can help. Perhaps she can watch it with you "in case you need help with some of the questions it raises"?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05nrwsy

Thanks Lush - we'll have a watch first and then, if we can cope with it, watch it with her. Really appreciate you taking the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here