Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Greek Super League suspended after PAOK Salonika president invades pitch with gun

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43369490

The Greek Super League has been indefinitely suspended after PAOK Salonika's president invaded the pitch with a gun during a match on Sunday.

Ivan Savvidis tried to confront the referee with a gun in a hip holster after his side had a late goal ruled out for offside against AEK Athens.

AEK's players left the pitch concerned for their safety and did not return.

The match was officially abandoned two hours later and local police are seeking Savvidis to arrest him.

Deputy Sports Minister Giorgos Vasiliadis announced the abandonment of all top-flight matches on Monday after a meeting with Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras.

"It won't start again unless there is a clear framework, agreed by all, to move forward with conditions and rules," he added.

World football governing body Fifa and European chiefs Uefa both condemned the incident but said any disciplinary measures "fall under the jurisdiction of the Greek FA".

Attachments

• g111.jpg
    g111.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 565
  • g22.jpg
    g22.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 568

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Madness!!

Oscar Garcia is managing in that league at the moment and was injured by a 'missile' (toilet roll) last week, guess he will want to go back to Israel where it was safer!

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Shocking. When I read that I was mortified. I know gun laws i Greece are more lax than here, but even so. Whose prematch ritual is "hey, i better get my match holster?"

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Pah, is that it? We've got to put up with Chris "Mad Dog" Hughton on the touch line each week and games don't get cancelled. I'd rather take on 10 club owners with guns than Chris when he's on one.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Looks like a starting pistol to me. We sure this isn't race related? :wink:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here