Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Russia at it again ? Litvenenko #2 ?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Anyone who things its OK for a foreign power to use a nerve agent which use is banned under the chemical weapons convention (of which Russia is a signatory) in a public shopping centre needs to have a word with themselves. It's immaterial what Blair and Bush did in Iraq or what this ex-spy did, whichever way you look at it its completely unacceptable behaviour.

Hopefully the policeman who is in a critical condition pulls through.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I don't like sports being used politically as the sportsmen and women suffer however somtime it's the only way.
So should we pull out the World Cup as at least three pepole have been attacked.if it's proved that Russia is responsible.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We won't pull out of the world cup as the hit on the treasury will be significant. I seem to recall when England failed to make Euro 2008 there was a massive downturn in the takings of pubs / shops as a direct result of that, plus all the indirect advertising stuff etc. as people weren't tuning in or having gatherings to watch Poland vs Italy in the same way.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We won't pull out of the world cup as the hit on the treasury will be significant. I seem to recall when England failed to make Euro 2008 there was a massive downturn in the takings of pubs / shops as a direct result of that, plus all the indirect advertising stuff etc. as people weren't tuning in or having gatherings to watch Poland vs Italy in the same way.

Think though as every WC goes by there's less interest, not sure it would make a lot of difference

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I don't like sports being used politically as the sportsmen and women suffer however somtime it's the only way.
So should we pull out the World Cup as at least three pepole have been attacked.if it's proved that Russia is responsible.

I agree and Putin would be pissed off big time if a few countries did.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Not sure what is more embarrassing the unofficial Pravda/RT representative on NSC trying to excuse this horrendous event or bellends linking it to Brexit. :facepalm:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Confirmed : Russia IS at it again.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I wonder if our response will be little more than just a slap on the wrist?

Not sure what we can do tbh, can't declare war, they have something like 200 times our armed forces numbers. But, as pointed out on the radio, under Putin, Litvenenko assassinated with a radioactive isotope only kept in high security government establishments, invasion and annexation of Crimea, state sponsored invasion of Ukraine, the shooting down of a passenger airliner by a Russian military anti aircraft unit and now poisoning with a nerve agent. Quite a charge sheet.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not sure what we can do tbh, can't declare war, they have something like 200 times our armed forces numbers. But, as pointed out on the radio, under Putin, Litvenenko assassinated with a radioactive isotope only kept in high security government establishments, invasion and annexation of Crimea, state sponsored invasion of Ukraine, the shooting down of a passenger airliner by a Russian military anti aircraft unit and now poisoning with a nerve agent. Quite a charge sheet.

Have nothing more to do with them. Blank them, ignore them, do no business whatsoever with them, don't turn up to their World Cup party - treat them like they are nothing to us, treat them like they don't exist.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
We're a weak country that can't do jack shite but as always we're turning to others the "European Union" this time....it's a European thing now apparently:lolol:

Laughable

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
There is no doubt the use of a banned nerve agent on British soil by a foreign country could be considered an act of war. Imagine the response from Trump if this was carried out on US soil, I doubt the Russians would have the nerve.

Be interesting to see what the response is now, I doubt we will get much support from Trump and will the EU be keen to back us now we are leaving?

This event could bring in to focus how much or little clout we now have in world affairs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The level of threat posed by a nation is a product of their wealth, their disregard for human life, their military power, their arrogance, and the extent to which they dislike you. For me, Putin's Russia is top of the threat list (and the threat is the same against Germany, France, Italy and anyone else nearby).

My view is May should tap up some of the other local important PMs from football active nations (Merkel, whichever clowns are in charge in Italy, France, Spain etc) and get as many to sign up to not going to the wc as she can, and just announce it.

**** them. If some other country has people killed on our soil we shouldn't be sending our sportspeople off to their land to further their greater glory.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The level of threat posed by a nation is a product of their wealth, their disregard for human life, their military power, their arrogance, and the extent to which they dislike you. For me, Putin's Russia is top of the threat list (and the threat is the same against Germany, France, Italy and anyone else nearby).

My view is May should tap up some of the other local important PMs from football active nations (Merkel, whichever clowns are in charge in Italy, France, Spain etc) and get as many to sign up to not going to the wc as she can, and just announce it.

**** them. If some other country has people killed on our soil we shouldn't be sending our sportspeople off to their land to further their greater glory.
Bit of a drama that isn't it ?
Always have to bring other countries into it because we're a weak minded nation that can't stand on its own two feet anymore.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
If you knew anything about Syria then you would know that Russia's involvement in Syria is what the UK and the Americans should have done years ago and backed Assad. Instead we supported banned jihadist groups and made it far worse.

Backed someone who has been proved to use chemical weapons against his own people?
I'm guessing you're having a laugh here

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
There is no doubt the use of a banned nerve agent on British soil by a foreign country could be considered an act of war. Imagine the response from Trump if this was carried out on US soil, I doubt the Russians would have the nerve.

Be interesting to see what the response is now, I doubt we will get much support from Trump and will the EU be keen to back us now we are leaving?

This event could bring in to focus how much or little clout we now have in world affairs.

Would that be the same amount of clout as we had in 2006 when Litvinenko was murdered using radiation in London?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Have nothing more to do with them. Blank them, ignore them, do no business whatsoever with them, don't turn up to their World Cup party - treat them like they are nothing to us, treat them like they don't exist.

Bit awkward with us heavily dependent on them for gas though, isn't it?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So, how ironic if Murray gets selected to play in Russian WC and we pull out. Which judging by some of the comments around looks highly likely.

On a serious note....we turn around and slap some sort of freeze on Russian assets in the UK....and they switch off the Gas supply, hit us with huge cyber attacks, and we hit them with cyber attacks...... this is getting quite scary at the moment.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Italy arn't going anyway.... ( unless they jump into our spot ) ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here