Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Were you one of the 1372 this afternoon? (Brighton Women in FA Cup)

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
If so, well done on coming along to support Brighton Women on a bitterly cold afternoon! Just got home, and its going to take me awhile to warm up... ;)

Brighton didn't disgrace themselves and with some stalwart defending, good saves and a bit of luck with the woodwork managed to hold out until just before halftime. Unfortunately Man Citys class told and they ran out 2-0 winners so thats our involvement in the FA Cup over for another year. Official match report here : https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...ladies-vs-manchester-city-women-on-04-feb-18/

If this was your first womens match, do you think you'll be coming to the next one on Sunday against London Bees? Would be good to get another good crowd there!

UTA :bhasign::albion2:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
If so, well done on coming along to support Brighton Women on a bitterly cold afternoon! Just got home, and its going to take me awhile to warm up... ;)

Brighton didn't disgrace themselves and with some stalwart defending, good saves and a bit of luck with the woodwork managed to hold out until just before halftime. Unfortunately Man Citys class told and they ran out 2-0 winners so thats our involvement in the FA Cup over for another year. Official match report here : https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...ladies-vs-manchester-city-women-on-04-feb-18/

If this was your first womens match, do you think you'll be coming to the next one on Sunday against London Bees? Would be good to get another good crowd there!

:needpics: :vuvu:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I went. It was bloody freezing.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I went, and accidentally found myself in the "away" end. Noisy buggers, and they brought along their own bloody clackers too! Hilariously, though, they did have their drum confiscated, with the steward citing not wanting to upset the neighbours on a Sunday as the reason. But I felt our girls did themselves proud against top notch opposition. They're a work in progress and will only get better.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
City, as expected, dominated the game, though I thought the Albion defended heroically at times, and kept the visitors at bay with some great blocks (and not-always-tidy tackling). It was a shame to concede in first half injury time, as to have held them until half time would have given Hope Powell something to work on. Not unlike a lot of the men's recent games, there were several opportunities for the Albion to have cleared the ball, but they just didn't take them.

Second half followed much of the same pattern, with the ladies blocking a fair few balls into the box. The Albion keeper should have done much better with the second goal, and was beaten far too easily at her near post. We had a couple of efforts on goal which on another day might have been hit better.

Beaten but certainly not disgraced by opponents with vastly more experience, money and speed (of thought and movement). It'll be interesting to see what happens to the Albion women's team personnel wise when they go full time next year. Presumably there will be recruitment.

Enjoyed it anyway. The standard was far higher than any other women's game I've seen live. City are so quick and so fit- they can only bring the standard of the rest of the women's league up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is this the right place to introduce female football, if so how long before its local park matches

Having been flamed more than10 years ago by [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] for qustioning the quality of women's football, I have only one thing to say. And I'll say it twice.

Boo.
BOO!
:lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
10 years, and you still bear the emotional scars!

It was more like 15, come to think about it. I was being crass and was called out. An interesting lesson learned.

Mind you, it was a dreadful game and, as it was the first time I'd watch women's football, I assumed it was par for the course. And me, a scientist, who admonishes others for making a decision based on n=1 :facepalm::wozza::lolol:

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Having been flamed more than10 years ago by [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] for qustioning the quality of women's football, I have only one thing to say. And I'll say it twice.

Boo.
BOO!
:lolol:

Did I ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Slightly OT but just noticed your signature says you’re a Brighton and Newcastle supporter. How does that work?!

D

Deleted User X18H

That is a good turn out. Many of us excluding the Johnny Come Lately’s (around 68% on here) have been in men’s first team crowds of lower.

Well done to all who attended.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Silly question. I heard the results of the FA Cup and a few big scores with the top teams playing the park sides. Were Brighton just unlucky to be drawn against Man City?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here