Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What the **** is wrong with some people?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's laziness – pure and simple. I'm not sure if the problem itself is getting worse, but the attitudes seem to be. There are calls here in SBS for more bins to be put on the beach, but that would only make a difference for a minority of days every year and therefore pretty much a waste of time, money and effort. As well as general littering and leaving stuff where they left it, people see a full up bin and put their bagged up rubbish next to it – ready for the seagulls or foxes to rip open and feed off. Just take it home and use your own bin?

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
My mate threw one of the parking tickets from the Churchill square car park out of my window last week, i turned the car around pulled over and made him pick it up.

Absolutely no excuse for littering it makes my blood boil.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
My mate threw one of the parking tickets from the Churchill square car park out of my window last week, i turned the car around pulled over and made him pick it up.

Absolutely no excuse for littering it makes my blood boil.

Well done that man.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I blame the parents (but then again I usually do)

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Parts of Prague are beautiful, parts of Prague are rough, but a lot of regeneration going on. My mother when she visited, commented in Zizkov, how clean it was, which took me by surprise, as Zizkov is one of the rougher suburbs. Didnt understand what she meant, until visiting Brighton soon after. The difference in litter is incredible. I notice all the time now, that the streets, and pavements are pretty clean here

D

Deleted member 2719

Yesterday me and a mate took a few beers to Swanbourne Lake (Arundel ) for an afternoon on the hills surrounding the lake. After walking up the big hill that overlooks the whole lake we were greeted with almost the entire hill covered in Mc Donalds cartons, plastic bottles, beer bottles/cans, spent fireworks and used disposable BBQ's. It amazes me how shit people have become in their attitudes :(

We ended up spending 1/2 hour clearing it all up (in carrier bags they kindly left behind)

Really sad how inconsiderate society has become regarding nature and overall empathy for the environment and others...

These are those young Corbyn voters who live in their own little fantasy world of high wages, music festivals and drugs.

I think if the police were plain clothed and saw anyone walk away from a pile of crap that they had seen them leave, they should taser the scummy gits.:guns:

I doubt that they would do it again and word would spread.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Several months ago at one of my local parks in Worthing I was with my sons, having a picnic. There was another young family who rocked up - two parents and a child, around 4-years old. They had a takeaway of some sorts and sat down on the green to eat it. When they got up, they left every single piece of rubbish they had - brown bags, tissues, wipes, plastic forks, etc. - on the floor. They WALKED PAST A BIN which was yards from their car, which they got into and drove off. I then, with the help of my boys, then cleared up their mess. I literally had to walk to the bin which was yards away from where their car was parked.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It is awful to see someone chuck a can or fag packet or any litter in to the gutter any time, but when they're yards from a litter bin, AAAGGGHHHH!
Having spent my formative years as a Council Gardener litter-picking, people lazily just dropping their rubbish is one of the few things I get a little worked up about. I was waiting in my car a few years ago outside the Brighton Centre when another car parked behind me. I saw the driver throw a cigarette packet out of the window. Risking a potential fracas, I got out of my car and said to him "Do you live in Brighton?" to which he replied "No". I said "WELL I DO, SO GET OUT, AND PICK UP YOUR F****** RUBBISH AND TAKE IT BACK TO WHERE YOU LIVE AND CHUCK IT THERE INSTEAD YOU DIRTY B******. HOW DARE YOU LEAVE YOUR S*** IN MY HOME TOWN!"
Sheepishly, he got out of his car and did as I said. Whether this had a lasting affect on him, who knows?
Clipped Gull is also aware of what happens if I see someone leave litter about, but I'll let him tell you that story!!

What you see with littering in this country is thankfully the minority, and its a good thing that littering is seen as a bad thing and when you do see bad examples of it it's shocking and even sometimes newsworthy. But go to somewhere like Indonesia or Bolivia and you will find that the vast majority of people do not give two ****s where their rubbish ends up, either that, or they burn it. The problem is education, and thankfully we are on the whole pretty well educated in this country.

You see this all the time on roads, especially where major road junctions meet.
The A3/M25 junction is a prime example, the crap that accumulates there is embarrassing, it almost resembles something you could've made on Blue Peter way back.
After a concert or match at Wembley is another example, people just don't give a toss!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
It is also one of the traits of human nature that I can't come to terms with - how some just feel that throwing something onto the floor wherever they are (apart from their own home) is acceptable.

I live on the ground floor of a two storey flat. My neighbour upstairs comes outside to smoke and chucks his butts everywhere - into the front garden which I maintain on his behalf and into the bushes shrubs and the pavement outside our property. When I've cut the grass and tidied up I collect the newest butts and put them on his doorstep. The problem stops for a while but then starts again after no doubt he's been mindful that it is a problem for me. I've got to do the garden again soon and will do the same - am hoping that he comes home when I'm doing this as it'll give me the opportunity to point out the problem.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
It is also one of the traits of human nature that I can't come to terms with - how some just feel that throwing something onto the floor wherever they are (apart from their own home) is acceptable.

I live on the ground floor of a two storey flat. My neighbour upstairs comes outside to smoke and chucks his butts everywhere - into the front garden which I maintain on his behalf and into the bushes shrubs and the pavement outside our property. When I've cut the grass and tidied up I collect the newest butts and put them on his doorstep. The problem stops for a while but then starts again after no doubt he's been mindful that it is a problem for me. I've got to do the garden again soon and will do the same - am hoping that he comes home when I'm doing this as it'll give me the opportunity to point out the problem.

I think I'd have to get an urn or something for them to use. I fell out with a neighbour once, it was horrible having to avoid her so I'm more live and let live these days (with in reason). She moved out luckily

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I use to live in Goring and when they opened that KFC way back the local area (especially Goring Gap during summertime) was littered with KFC rubbish EVERYWHERE.

I think residents complained because I regularly saw KFC workers out litter picking.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
These are those young Corbyn voters who live in their own little fantasy world of high wages, music festivals and drugs.

I think if the police were plain clothed and saw anyone walk away from a pile of crap that they had seen them leave, they should taser the scummy gits.:guns:

I doubt that they would do it again and word would spread.

Seriously, grow up. Absolutely pathetic.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, [MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION]'s point is valid, but the cities here - as a general rule - I feel are tidier than they were in the 1970s. We were knee-deep in crap then (and that's nothing to do with industrial realtions). There are more bins, and more people use them. The change is cultural. Where once everyone dropped litter, more people do hang on to their rubbish until they find a bin, which in the middle of Brighton is about every 50 yards. That said, the fast-food chains really ought to take more responsibility for the litter their customers produce.

Additionally, the council here is (wrongly) criticised for taking a 'nanny-state' attitude to people leaving rubbish on the beach, but it is - slowly - having an effect. They do need to provide more bins on the seafront, but it is getting there.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Seriously, grow up. Absolutely pathetic.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, [MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION]'s point is valid, but the cities here - as a general rule - I feel are tidier than they were in the 1970s. We were knee-deep in crap then (and that's nothing to do with industrial realtions). There are more bins, and more people use them. The change is cultural. Where once everyone dropped litter, more people do hang on to their rubbish until they find a bin, which in the middle of Brighton is about every 50 yards. That said, the fast-food chains really ought to take more responsibility for the litter their customers produce.

Additionally, the council here is (wrongly) criticised for taking a 'nanny-state' attitude to people leaving rubbish on the beach, but it is - slowly - having an effect. They do need to provide more bins on the seafront, but it is getting there.

Child of the fifties here - never dropped litter - result of good parenting.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just have a look at the aftermath of Glastonbury. For a festival supposedly mainly populated by people with a higher social conscience, opposed to the throwaway society and pro ecology they don't half buy a lot of disposable, non-degradable shit and leave it lying around.

IMG_2526.PNG

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yesterday me and a mate took a few beers to Swanbourne Lake (Arundel ) for an afternoon on the hills surrounding the lake. After walking up the big hill that overlooks the whole lake we were greeted with almost the entire hill covered in Mc Donalds cartons, plastic bottles, beer bottles/cans, spent fireworks and used disposable BBQ's. It amazes me how shit people have become in their attitudes :(

We ended up spending 1/2 hour clearing it all up (in carrier bags they kindly left behind)

Really sad how inconsiderate society has become regarding nature and overall empathy for the environment and others...

Well done you. Wife and I similarly picked up loads of plastic cups, sweet wrappers, crisp packets and plastic lemonade/Coke bottles left in our local park one nice evening a fortnight ago. A right bloody mess. Clearly a group of yoof had simply left and of course there was a bin less than 10 metres away they could have put in. Tossers make everyone's lives worse, it's down to parenting or complete lack of. Too many pander, don't know right from wrong themselves and most of all there are just increasing numbers of thick, genetically stupid types which our welfare state sustains and encourages when once consumption, the military etc took care of.

Talking of anti social behaviour, just seen an16-17yr old lad riding at 30mph on a motorbike down the road...on the pavement, it's a long straight residential road mostly comprising of bungalows with elderly people living in. Kid is a regular offender, doesn't give a **** and easily kill a pensioner with such reckless behaviour. It's always 'yeah, but he's a kid and they do stupid things, you were a kid once etc. Well, I didn't ride motorbikes at the same speed as the legal limit on roads only on pavements, in residential areas, flying past within a couple of feet of pensioners front doors who would never expect to need to look out for such an idiot. That's bloody dangerous.

Might go look for some piano wire...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Child of the fifties here - never dropped litter - result of good parenting.

I too [as I'm sure many on here are also] am from the era of:

Leave things as you found them - aka farm gates / no-litter / etc.
Do as you would be done by
Waste not, want not.

I fear these values have escaped later generations .... or are such habits more a culture thing
- is it the number of semi-permanent overseas visitors we now have that have the attitude of - happy to leave a mess, it's not my country anyway ....

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A friend of mine did the the following:

A couple in Ovingdean took their dog for a walk very early each morning, letting it crap just round the corner on the pavements, but well away from their home. Needless to say, they didn't clear it up.

My mate shovelled it up and dropped it onto their front door step over a couple of days.

Their disgraceful behaviour stopped overnight.

That won't work with general littering, but it did in this case.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I have lived in Arundel for over 30 years and never seen anything like what I saw yesterday. It's certainly a statement on how ignorant and arrogant people have become.

first of all , well done for clearing up the shysters mess......i am constantly amazed at the lack of housekeeping in today's yoooof.......from what you said it was probably a coach load of tourists but i wouldn't like to put money on it , always sickening to see an en masse display of cjtcntery..!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here