Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 2016: England and Wales fans given alcohol ban in Lens

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Why do some people insist that the English fans are always unfairly blamed?

Personally, I think it's more likely that the English subculture of drinking yourself into oblivion is probably a more likely cause. These people are probably mostly sound fellas (and nicer for the French than some of the North Africans in their midst anyway) until they've had 15 pints and turn into boorish plums singing provocative songs and luzzing chairs and bottles.

Why do so plums always think its always the English fans fault??

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
[MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION] nails it. It is quite amazing that you needed it spelling out, tbh.

I doubt [MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION] has been anywhere near a tournament in his life , I know what I posted earlier but that's just a section of English fans , the media LOVE an opportunity to print stories about English hooligans etc whilst totally ignoring the majority of times when it's the local Herbert's who start the trouble when trying to earn their Spurs against the notorious English hooligans .

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
[MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION] nails it. It is quite amazing that you needed it spelling out, tbh.

So let me get this right, what your saying is whenever there is any trouble when England are playing, its always started by the English?

It's bound to be them as they've done it before, is that right?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I doubt [MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION] has been anywhere near a tournament in his life , I know what I posted earlier but that's just a section of English fans , the media LOVE an opportunity to print stories about English hooligans etc whilst totally ignoring the majority of times when it's the local Herbert's who start the trouble when trying to earn their Spurs against the notorious English hooligans .

Other than the world cup in Germany, and the Euros in The Netherlands...
Of course other fans will try it on, but to deny the English fans abroad, a sizeable crowed of them, who also want to win their 'spurs' are not a problem is a bit naive.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So let me get this right, what your saying is whenever there is any trouble when England are playing, its always started by the English?

It's bound to be them as they've done it before, is that right?
Nope, it is quite possible that they were started on by a bunch of local morons looking for a fight. That said, if I was hedging my bets I'd still hazard a guess that those England fans are likely to have caused it.

But I didn't mention who started it. It really doesn't matter - these people are supposed to be adults.

If you want straight talking, it is that the English subculture of drinking yourself to oblivion is not going to help when dealing with confrontation. With England fans, the chance of trouble ESCALATING is that much higher.

And it's "you're" by the way. Please don't attempt to patronise me if you can't even use the language properly FFS.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I know what I posted earlier but that's just a section of English fans , the media LOVE an opportunity to print stories about English hooligans etc whilst totally ignoring the majority of times when it's the local Herbert's who start the trouble when trying to earn their Spurs against the notorious English hooligans .

I've been to tournaments too and I agree with you totally on this. In fact, the picture posted above of the fat man remonstrating is case in point. If you look at the footage on the BBC, he's actually screaming at the police to "calm down", not looking for a ruck himself. Pictures don't always tell the story.

That said, you've seen it yourself - there are still too many Englishmen who think it is ok to go to another country as a guest, get hammered, and cause trouble or at least not do enough to actively avoid it.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Nope, it is quite possible that they were started on by a bunch of local morons looking for a fight. That said, if I was hedging my bets I'd still hazard a guess that those England fans are likely to have caused it.

But I didn't mention who started it. It really doesn't matter - these people are supposed to be adults.

If you want straight talking, it is that the English subculture of drinking yourself to oblivion is not going to help when dealing with confrontation. With England fans, the chance of trouble ESCALATING is that much higher.

And it's "you're" by the way. Please don't attempt to patronise me if you can't even use the language properly FFS.
oh come on,
Whether or not he uses you're or your is completely irrelevant to the argument , it's also entirely possible that it was down to autocorrect.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I've been to tournaments too and I agree with you totally on this. In fact, the picture posted above of the fat man remonstrating is case in point. If you look at the footage on the BBC, he's actually screaming at the police to "calm down", not looking for a ruck himself. Pictures don't always tell the story.

That said, you've seen it yourself - there are still too many Englishmen who think it is ok to go to another country as a guest, get hammered, and cause trouble or at least not do enough to actively avoid it.
All the above is true , but I can also remember in Stockholm in 1998 for the cup winners cup final with Chelsea when cameramen were offering to PAY us to cause trouble.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Other than the world cup in Germany, and the Euros in The Netherlands...
Of course other fans will try it on, but to deny the English fans abroad, a sizeable crowed of them, who also want to win their 'spurs' are not a problem is a bit naive.
I didn't try to deny it and you didn't post that.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
So now we know. Bruno spends the close season masquerading as a French Policeman !

That bloke looks about four foot tall.

Screenshot from 2016-06-10 10:20:08.png

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
What will happen is that the poor sods who fancy a quiet pint out of the way will be the ones picked off by the north africans, not the lot in the pictures.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
All the above is true , but I can also remember in Stockholm in 1998 for the cup winners cup final with Chelsea when cameramen were offering to PAY us to cause trouble.

I've heard of this kind of thing happening before. There was an account of it in the excellent book All Played Out by Pete Davies, a journalist who followed England throughout Italia 90. Scum hacks from the redtops were apparently bribing local thugs to start trouble with the England fans in Cagliari. The press were all in position with their cameras of course, just waiting for it all to kick off.

I'm not saying England fans are whiter than white obviously, we do have our share of meatheads and knuckle-draggers who don't need much encouragement, especially after they've been on the beer. But its worth remembering there are some vested interests out there who WANT to see trouble. Puts me off going to a tournament tbh - its so easy to get caught up in something you had absolutely nothing to do with. Wrong place, wrong time and you can be bang in trouble.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I've heard of this kind of thing happening before. There was an account of it in the excellent book All Played Out by Pete Davies, a journalist who followed England throughout Italia 90. Scum hacks from the redtops were apparently bribing local thugs to start trouble with the England fans in Cagliari. The press were all in position with their cameras of course, just waiting for it all to kick off.

I'm not saying England fans are whiter than white obviously, we do have our share of meatheads and knuckle-draggers who don't need much encouragement, especially after they've been on the beer. But its worth remembering there are some vested interests out there who WANT to see trouble. Puts me off going to a tournament tbh - its so easy to get caught up in something you had absolutely nothing to do with. Wrong place, wrong time and you can be bang in trouble.
Exactly right , locals do start the trouble a lot of the time but England fans arent whiter than white , i went to my one and only tournament in 2004, and cant see me going to another one , what i dont like (believe it or not) is the extremely boorish behaviour by some of the england fans , harassing and bullying locals , pissing in the street etc these are the sort of blokes who would run a mile if some REAL hooligans turned up who did want to know ,then you have the England fans who can and do want to fight , but its beyond me why blokes in their 30s/40s/50s would travel all that way to have a punch up when you could be spending the day getting pissed in the town square watching the world go by.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here