Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Garcia's reasons for leaving (from today's Argus, per Andy Naylor)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The reality is we have to face up to FFP, it would be nice to spend loads on expensive players / wages but we have to live within our means.

If only this country would do the same thing as the government piles on the debt, still out of control

FFP is going to catch up with the free spenders in the Championship, in the long term Blooms's investment in proper infrastructure will pay dividends..

Personally I don't think everything has to be put on FFP..given the not to recent past why not live within our means anyway

Soggy

Mar 22, 2013
With some of the best away support in the Championship and the highest average home gates the fans deserve better and to be told the TRUTH about events surrounding both the departure of Gus and Oscar. Is the same thing going to happen at the end of next season? I can't say I blame Oscar. Who will want the managers job now after the boards recent track record?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
That's just what Oscar Garcia says. I suspect a communication problem ???

Maybe or maybe we should look at the Burke interviews on player. He clearly says Oscar has the final say but then he says 'we go and look for a player' and then Oscar gets the final say. So did Oscar have any influence apart from the final yes or no? He doesn't say Oscar identifies the targets and we try to sign them. He talks about stats and his recruitment team that seem to be playing football manager. Burke has failed to deliver this season and it should be the manager that has his targets and then he decides with the recruitment team but has the final say with the chairman. Burke should be nothing more than head scout! Not the recruitment officer.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
There's got to be some sort of committee system but I think the problem is with the one we currently have. It seems too many have a say. Whilst throwing large amounts of money at signings isn't the way forward, there still has to be an element of a spearhead in transfer targets which should be the manager. You do have to leave some sort if trust in the manager and allow them to head the hunt for potential signings. It seems our system is flawed and far from signing Multi million players, we aren't signing anyone apart from DS players for a few grand.
the coach chooses the type of player they want - the committee/scouting network sort out what players of that type are available and affordable - they then go back to the coach and say, "what about Grabban?" coach says yes, then they go off and do the negotiation. Grabban says I want more, we say no, he gets a better contract and more money where he is.

this way the coach gets to concentrate on coaching rather than spending all week driving round watching transfer targets.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
...we should look at the Burke interviews on player. He clearly says Oscar has the final say but then he says 'we go and look for a player' and then Oscar gets the final say. So did Oscar have any influence apart from the final yes or no? He doesn't say Oscar identifies the targets and we try to sign them. He talks about stats and his recruitment team that seem to be playing football manager.

This is the 'cake or death' decision, ain't it? If he has final say on players, but no input into which players are presented to him for assent in the first place, what's the bloody point of final say?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'm more concerned about player recruitment wasting the budgets. Gus had players brought in that he didn't want and it seems that Oscar didn't get one player from his list.

I think we are all getting concerned with the club's recruitment policy.

Genuine question (not intended to point fingers at different people): Which of the current squad were bought in by Burke and who was bought in at the insistence of the manager(s)?

It doesn't fill me with confidence if two experienced football men felt it necessary to leave because of the club's player dealings/budget. Does Tony Bloom get involved every day or is it Burke and Barber running the show whilst keeping TB updated?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Some of the posts are hysterical! As others have said, we don't know whether any of the players identified by Oscar were affordable. I suspect that the actual problem is that he can see next season being harder due to the higher parachute payments for those clubs coming down and FFP penalties not kicking in until January so you will still get clubs gambling during the close season transfer window.

As for Bloom being asleep in Australia when the window closed, does anyone actually believe that. I also don't believe in the delays in getting the deal rubber stamped. Australia is only a phone call away, maybe even facetime!!!

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
When Poyet left , to get round legals we had to appoint a head coach and restructure .

Could all this be a result of that and can we go back to manager calling the shots ?

Head coach or manager? - job title probably doesn`t matter (now, at least), but the new man needs to be very clear on how much say he has on who we try to sign. Checks and balances are important to make sure he doesn`t overspend, but within the budget I think the new coach / manager should be the driving force behind signings. Take that away and who is really going to want the job?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Well Burke must be doing something right, we've finished in a play off position two years running.

I think its players and managers who need to get real about money. The fact that we can't get anywhere near breaking even given our support and consumption is a pretty damning indictment of where second tier football is right now. Something has to change.

It's not just second tier football though is it?

The money pot that is the Premier League allows clubs to pay absolutely crazy wages to their whole squad. That Chelsea starlet who hasn't yet made one appearance in the first team but still gets paid 1 MILLION a year being a good example.

Players in the Championship see those idiotic wages and start thinking they want to squeeze as much out of a club as possible and then the sorry wage spiral infests all professional leagues in England. Those that don't pay/can't pay are relegation fodder every year or will never see a promotion again.

Parachute payments make things worse and giving 'winnings' of £63 or 73 Million for finishing bottom shows just how fecked up our game is. How on earth are clubs like The Albion supposed to balance the books whilst remaining competitive and in with a chance of promotion when football allows itself to be run by TV executives?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Please read FFP facts first before posting. QPR, if they miss promotion, will not be fined. If they fail FFP they will have a transfer embargo imposed on them. There are no exceptions, no contract extensions, improved existing contracts etc

So what will happen if the Football League calls for a EGM in the off season and moves the goalposts on FFP due to the large increase in parachute payments ?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Those saying we have to be aware of FFP, why is it we're the only ones losing two managers in two years then? Surely this should be happening at every club?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
This is the 'cake or death' decision, ain't it? If he has final say on players, but no input into which players are presented to him for assent in the first place, what's the bloody point of final say?

Couldn't agree more. I can't think of anyone who'd want to manage a team when they were not allowed to target the players they knew about and wanted to bring to the club.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It's not just second tier football though is it?

The money pot that is the Premier League allows clubs to pay absolutely crazy wages to their whole squad. That Chelsea starlet who hasn't yet made one appearance in the first team but still gets paid 1 MILLION a year being a good example.

Players in the Championship see those idiotic wages and start thinking they want to squeeze as much out of a club as possible and then the sorry wage spiral infests all professional leagues in England. Those that don't pay/can't pay are relegation fodder every year.

Parachute payments make things worse and giving 'winnings' of £63 or 73 Million for finishing bottom shows just how fecked up our game is. How on earth are clubs like The Albion supposed to balance the books whilst remaining competitive and in with a chance of promotion when football allows itself to be run by TV executives?
One way is by copying the example set by Crystal Palace. That is produce a desirable player through the youth ranks and sell him for an obscene amount of money.

Or use another palace ploy....spend what you want then enter administration (twice).

:wink:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So what will happen if the Football League calls for a EGM in the off season and moves the goalposts on FFP due to the large increase in parachute payments ?

I'm sure FFP is and will be discussed infinitum with the clubs. It does however have to be remembered the vast majority of clubs voted for it in the guise it exists in at present. Also clubs relegated have a year to comply so this year the likes of QPR do not have the restrictions we and others have. Is it right? No I would say but I refer to vote again.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
One thing I'm not clear about. If we sacked OG, we'd have to pay compensation as we broke the terms of his contract but I've not seen anything to suggest that he has to pay us, as he broke the terms of the contract. Is the contract only one way?

We would have to have good reason to sack him otherwise we risk a claim for compensation. Last year the club felt they had grounds to sack Poyet and, it could be argued, they were vindicated because he with drew any claim. Oscar has either decided he doesn't fancy taking on the millions that some have in parachute payments or maybe has a couple of offers that are better. Whatever, he has done the decent thing and acted with integrity.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
One way is by copying the example set by Crystal Palace. That is produce a desirable player through the youth ranks and sell him for an obscene amount of money.

Or use another palace ploy....spend what you want then enter administration (twice).

:wink:

Option 1 is going to take time after 14 years in the financial doldrums where we couldn't fund a decent scouting network and even if youngsters were spotted they'd never have joined to get coached in Stanmer Park amongst the dog turds.

Option 2 is something TB wouldn't allow to happen, thank goodness or we could be next year's Portsmouth...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Those saying we have to be aware of FFP, why is it we're the only ones losing two managers in two years then? Surely this should be happening at every club?

Exactly. Is anyone seriously suggesting that Burnley have flouted the FFP rules? They have spent reasonable money, year in, year out, and with a bit of consistency at the top put together a squad that has deservedly gone up automatically ahead of the astronomical wages being thrown around at QPR.

note: I now await someone telling me that Burnley have in fact been spending a FORTUNE on wages. I have some humble pie on hand just in case.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Option 1 is going to take time after 14 years in the financial doldrums where we couldn't fund a decent scouting network and even if youngsters were spotted they'd never have joined to get coached in Stanmer Park amongst the dog turds.

Option 2 is something TB wouldn't allow to happen, thank goodness or we could be next year's Portsmouth...
The new training ground will help, or at least make it a possibility, but I agree it'll take time and lots of luck.

I was being facetious about administration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here