Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interesting comment from CMS on style of football

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
When talking about Derby:

Mackail-Smith, who came off the bench, praised Derby’s efforts to settle the tie on home turf.

He said: “They were fantastic over the two games and over the season.

They go forward with pace, they pass the ball forward, they don’t ever seem to turn back and play back.

“They just want to go forward with pace, they go forward with pace and they gave us a good hiding.”

:clap2::clap2: Sums up what we did wrong this season for me.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
One thing i noticed was the quality of the first touch the derby players had. They were rifling the ball into each others feet but not once did a player take a heavy touch.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
As we suspected, and straight from the horses mouth. Are the players then just as pizzed off with going backwards as we are watching it. I still can't get my head around going to Leicester and doing to them what Derby did to us. Then, having found The Holy Grail... Feckin burying it ! ???

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
so what he was trying to say is that Derby County FC ...the team that just s****ed us 6-2 , occasionally like to go forward rather than backwards and that is why they may very well be in the Prem next year and we wont.i t could also be that thay are all big , strong ,lads willing to have a ****ing go and they have a keeper whose head isn't a mess of indecision and fear.......sorry , i'll be alright once i get some sleep ...today has just gone from bad to worse starting at about 12.45 a.m this morning my time......SHYTE...!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I feel for CMS.

Poyet ruined him!

Why sign a player who name is name as part of a partnership, and then play him up front on his own, pumping balls onto his head.

Cannot believe some people on here only see him as someone who runs about a lot and little else.

A class act IMO, who played as part of a pair up front, and not on the wing, would tear this division a new one!!

If only we had another striker who could play with him!!!!!!!!

Oh, hang on a minute..............

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It has amazed me from day one of signing CMS how poorly used he has been. When he first came he was left running around making runs that no one was allowed to pass to.

Then we finally signed the perfect forward to play along side him in Ulloa and not once has it happened.

Ulloa and CMS played alongside each other in a 4-4-2 with two wingers at home would piss this division.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It has amazed me from day one of signing CMS how poorly used he has been. When he first came he was left running around making runs that no one was allowed to pass to.

Then we finally signed the perfect forward to play along side him in Ulloa and not once has it happened.

Ulloa and CMS played alongside each other in a 4-4-2 with two wingers at home would piss this division.

OK - I'm going to get off the fence about the formation now. I agree. Maybe 4-3-2-1 away.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Small and Bryne
Bremner and Nelson
Mellor and Ward

Proven time and time again.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
When talking about Derby:

Mackail-Smith, who came off the bench, praised Derby’s efforts to settle the tie on home turf.

He said: “They were fantastic over the two games and over the season.

They go forward with pace, they pass the ball forward, they don’t ever seem to turn back and play back.

“They just want to go forward with pace, they go forward with pace and they gave us a good hiding.”

:clap2::clap2: Sums up what we did wrong this season for me.

Despite the result, I think Derby are over-rated*. I think the Albion defence is zonal and the other side are allowed to run with the ball. Derby have a man-to-man defence which means that are pass to feet does not work so much but a pass into space should work, if we had someone to pass into space. if in the unlikely event the opposition get around our full backs we are in bad trouble. With Ward and Bruno they don't. With Calderon and Chicksen they do. (*QPR will beat them in the Final.)

Newcastle played man-to-man against Liverpool and Liverpool did the same thing as Albion did against Derby at home. It worked for 20 minutes for us against Derby. It took two accurate balls from Gerrard to beat Newcastle.

I would like to see us play the Liverpool system. Lualua in the Suarez role (not Lingard). We do not really need and out and out target man like Ulloa ??? unless he can learn some more close control skills?? Buckley/March can play the Sterling role.

Ideally the middle player would be a Lucas type (Dale Stephens?). Orlandi is the best equivalent to Gerrard.

I feel for CMS.

Poyet ruined him!

Why sign a player who name is name as part of a partnership, and then play him up front on his own, pumping balls onto his head.

Cannot believe some people on here only see him as someone who runs about a lot and little else.

A class act IMO, who played as part of a pair up front, and not on the wing, would tear this division a new one!!

It was an odd choice by Gus to buy a player whose style needed such adapting but I think the dogged long pursuit of Leo was something of a self-criticism by Gus on that

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
I feel for CMS.

Poyet ruined him!

but CMS was saying how derby play fast attacking forward football
they do this with one central attacking player
It might be that our current squad suits 4 4 2
but you would not get the football that derby play

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Fashion is for a main striker and a second striker that sometimes has to go deep. With just the one wide player and an overlapping full back.

I still think the basic shape of most teams is 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. Derby under Clough was 4-3-3 and under McClaren was 4-4-2.

I much prefer 4-3-3 but in the classic style it requires a central midfielder of above average ability and we haven't got one. Without one 4-4-2 works better.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Derby were brilliant. They played decent football, passed with intent and counter attacked with pace.

Stevegull

Sep 9, 2005
Lewes
The was a clear occasion yesterday when CMS sprinted after a ball into the LH chanel won the ball looked around and no BHA player was close to him, he gestured with his arm for players to get up in support then shugged his shoulders. By which time he'd lost the ball.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Also fair to make the point that Derby have a free-scoring midfielder in Bryson who has contributed very significantly to their season.

We had that too in Crofts who was at the peak of his form when he got his injury. I remember sensing at the moment he went off it could be a massive blow for not only the player but the club, and he was badly missed.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The was a clear occasion yesterday when CMS sprinted after a ball into the LH chanel won the ball looked around and no BHA player was close to him, he gestured with his arm for players to get up in support then shugged his shoulders. By which time he'd lost the ball.

We were 6-1 down with 5 minutes to go... I think the rest of them had had enough by then.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
Fashion is for a main striker and a second striker that sometimes has to go deep. With just the one wide player and an overlapping full back.

I still think the basic shape of most teams is 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. Derby under Clough was 4-3-3 and under McClaren was 4-4-2.

I much prefer 4-3-3 but in the classic style it requires a central midfielder of above average ability and we haven't got one. Without one 4-4-2 works better.

mc claren did not play 4 4. 2 in the playoffs
hughes was one of 3 in the middle
two wide attackers and Martin in the centre
it was clearly 4 3 3
not saying there is one correct formation
whatever works
but derby like many others (Bayern Munich Barcelona Real Madrid )
have shown you can score a lot of goals playing with one central attacker
but yes a gifted central midfielder and wide players who can score
are required

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here