Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What position is the priority for the January transfer window?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I appreciate the forwards have been starved of opportunities this season, I have no doubt Bent could score a shit load for us if he was given any service, however I think where our play breaks down is in the middle of the pitch. We could have the 2 best wingers in the world ready to provide ammunition for a striker, but if they never receive the ball they can't do anything with it, likewise with the strikers. We have no ball winners in the team at the moment, we have no ball retention whatsoever, we occasionally make a foray down the flank but that's about it. Against Millwall it was clear that our players were trying to play around the middle of the pitch because we have no presence there whatsoever.

I also saw several occasions where our supporting players went wide rather than into the box when we already had the ball out wide. It was like they felt the were needed out there because they didn't think the player with the ball was capable of beating a defender and crossing it (reminiscent of the Carole / Frutos days where everyone rushed out wide to support them rather than going into the area)

Its shocking how far away the next Albion player is from our striker at times (they are in the middle of the box, you then have to go to almost the touchline outside the box and almost back to the centre circle before you find anyone)

We do also need players who can play in an advanced central role (and therefore get into the box to try to get on the end of crosses, but if the faith was there in our wide players now, surely the others will should have been going into the box rather then out wide? Too many similar players playing similar roles at the same time? And a lack of leadership in the centre of midfield, guiding our younger players through the game.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Been unlucky with the injuries to Stephens and Crofts, both capable of supporting the striker and scoring. Kemy and Toko haven't worked out, then we have JFC, Ince, Holla and Gardner. That's a hell of a lot of CM's on the books, yet clearly is an area most of us agree we are weak, and need to strengthen. Agree with the poster who said we have a bloated squad and be interesting to see who we can ship out. TBH we haven't had many outstanding performers this season so far and the likelihood is the only player in demand would be Dunk, which would be a disastrous sale. Who is likely to take any of our surplus midfielders off our hands on the strengths of their performances so far ?

We need a right back, centre back, central midfielder and striker. We won't get a right back, or a centre back and I don't think we will get anyone other than Keith Andrews in midfield. Forward wise, I think Bent will stay the season. Lambert doesn't like him.

I have absolutely no interest in what Bloom is saying about the budget. Burke has consistently ballsed it up whether there is money to spend or not.

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
Been unlucky with the injuries to Stephens and Crofts, both capable of supporting the striker and scoring. Kemy and Toko haven't worked out, then we have JFC, Ince, Holla and Gardner. That's a hell of a lot of CM's on the books, yet clearly is an area most of us agree we are weak, and need to strengthen. Agree with the poster who said we have a bloated squad and be interesting to see who we can ship out. TBH we haven't had many outstanding performers this season so far and the likelihood is the only player in demand would be Dunk, which would be a disastrous sale. Who is likely to take any of our surplus midfielders off our hands on the strengths of their performances so far ?

I heard a whisper that West Ham are sniffing round Dunk. Burke we will probably sell him as well.
Tony Bloom said I think it was after the play off defeat to Palace he did not want to go up to the prem for 5 years and that he had a 5 year plan. Well if the plan is to sell all the best players to prem clubs and replace them with complete rubbish from league 1 and loan players not good enough to play for their own club. Then to bring in a manager so far out of his depth he does not know whats up and whats down then the plan is working great and only three more years to go..

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
A midfielder that can take the game by the scruff of the neck and help you through even when everyone else is below par . The type of player who can crunch into tackles and visibly lift the sides work rate . Someone who can get on the ball and make things happen . Shoukd of been Clayton . This type of player would cost a fortune

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Need strengthen all over - im as interested on who we are going to unload too- our squad is far to bloated with very ordinary players

I don't agree completely. Centre Mid definitely and Striker if no Bent. But we do need to get rid of the deadwood.I think a lot of our problems lie in the team selection and organisation.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think one major issue is how quickly we can act.
One of the big problems with the transfer window is all the activity happens on the final day........

If we have to wait until then to improve the starting eleven it could already be too late :(

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Failing a new manager we need midfielders who are happy and capable to play full back, not sure if they exist though. Oh and should Bent go, a goal scorer who takes every change he gets

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I heard a whisper that West Ham are sniffing round Dunk. Burke we will probably sell him as well.
Tony Bloom said I think it was after the play off defeat to Palace he did not want to go up to the prem for 5 years and that he had a 5 year plan. Well if the plan is to sell all the best players to prem clubs and replace them with complete rubbish from league 1 and loan players not good enough to play for their own club. Then to bring in a manager so far out of his depth he does not know whats up and whats down then the plan is working great and only three more years to go..

I hope we keep Dunk for a few seasons, but if we not Noble and Nolan next season (West Ham to spend big on replacements) we could n do quite well for one season only.

I think we should keep our younger players.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Striker for me. But, the real problem is manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here