Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most overrated restaurant you've eaten in?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gordon Ramsay's gaff in Chelsea. Got three stars, there was nothing wrong with it, but you're expecting more than competence. There was nothing to excite.

The missus took me there for my 40th. I agree with this assessment but I wouldn't say it's over-rated. Technically it's brilliant. But it lacks any imagination or, as you say, excitement.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Wahacca Brighton was another disappointment, having eaten a really good meal in one in London.

Is that the one in Covent Garden ? I enjoyed our meal in that one, but was not impressed by the one in Brighton.

The most disappointed I have been with any restaurant was Momma Cherri's the wife was going on and on about going and rave revues.... It was very poor and I left feeling hungry and underwhelmed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hope it hasn't given you Jay's waistline!

Not quite :smile:

I really love his reviews and thoughts on the restaurant industry though and we share many common food interests. This site is a fantastic source of info as well. There are a handful of NSC foodies who I have a lot of respect for.

The_NitramJohn

Feb 18, 2012
Bombay Aloo

Worst Indian food I have ever tasted!

TBH not a vegetarian (went with a friend who was), but every curry seemed watery & does everything have to taste of cabbage 🤢

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jul 7, 2003
Marco Pierre White's Steakhouse. We were given one of those experience vouchers one Christmas so went to one on Kings Road (Chelsea, not Brighton seafront!). Very much a chain trading on the chefs name and the food was perfectly adequate but nothing more than that.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
The Fat Duck, Bray, maybe Mrs Chopper and I chose the wrong dishes, but we were both very disappointed although the house white was absolute nectar. Compared to other famous restaurants we have been to even the service was not good.
It was many years ago, wished we had gone round the corner to The Waterside.
Strange place Bray, a nice village and a foodies heaven, even the pub has a Michelin star.

While you are talking rubbish as you don't get to choose dishes at the Fat Duck.

By far the best meal of my life and I've eaten at a lot of good restaurants including seven that have been ranked in the top ten in the world.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Took Mrs H up to see Dreamgirls at the Savoy Theatre for her birthday and wanted to push the boat out beforehand so took her to The Ivy.
For any NSCers thinking about it, don't bother, dstinctly average food but very expensive, thankfully the show was one of best West End productions I've ever seen.
sorry you had a bad experience Harty. My only visit about ten years ago was nice. Wouldn't say more than that. Food was 'nice' not especially memorable, thing I remember most was the amazing service more than anything. I think it's more famous for being a favourite place for the luvvy theatre set rather than haute cuisine. Enjoyed it. But equally I like Wimpy :)

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Marco Pierre White's Steakhouse. We were given one of those experience vouchers one Christmas so went to one on Kings Road (Chelsea, not Brighton seafront!). Very much a chain trading on the chefs name and the food was perfectly adequate but nothing more than that.

Same story as the rooftop one in Birmingham. In fact that one was pretty mediocre.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
While you are talking rubbish as you don't get to choose dishes at the Fat Duck.

By far the best meal of my life and I've eaten at a lot of good restaurants including seven that have been ranked in the top ten in the world.

I was thinking the same. I also rate it highly in so many ways; aside from food it's an evening of great entertainment, education and theatre.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

Are you
IMG_5529.JPG
?:lolol:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Good point.
You have hardly sat down and they ask you what you want to drink and I haven't even looked at what they have.
If you do place a quick drink order, when they bring it they ask for your food order.
One thing I love about more expensive 'pretentious' restaurants is quality waiter and sommelier service.
We ate at Rick Steins Seafood Restaurant last year, the food and accommodation was top notch, but the service was the best I have had in any restaurant anywhere.

Hi Raleigh, were you in Rick's Padstow restaurant?
I just ask because we are frequent visitors to Padstow and can recommend a tiny restaurant called Prawn on the Lawn. Completely different to Rick's but well worth a visit. Google it and you'll get what it is all about. Rated number 1 restaurant in Padstow last time I looked.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

As i said it was many years ago, since then The Fat Duck has closed, been sued, opened back up again and has changed its identity many times.
Do you really think i would post on here that we ate there, when in fact i did not, in those days (late 90's) there was a menu although a taster menu was available, I know the way it is run now though. I also know that it has been voted the best restaurant in the world, but it started as a bistro type place, then a restaurant with a menu, and today it is what it is.
As i said, maybe we chose badly, it was very over seasoned.
Over the years we too have been lucky enough to eat in some top restaurants in many countries, but on this occasion we were disappointed.
So no rubbish being talked here, in fact i suggest you have a think before you post, surely you should know that The Fat Duck, considering who owns it, is constantly evolving, changing and inventing new methods, its what he is famous for, like eggs and bacon ice cream.
I assume you think that it was a look at me, I have eaten in the best restaurant in the world, but did not like it, but it was a genuine ( and truthful post)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I just ask because we are frequent visitors to Padstow and can recommend a tiny restaurant called Prawn on the Lawn. Completely different to Rick's but well worth a visit. Google it and you'll get what it is all about. Rated number 1 restaurant in Padstow last time I looked.

The great thing about Padstein, is that he has attracted many other very good restaurants into the town (and Rock) to feed all the high end tourists and 2nd home owners that now inhabit Padstow.
I have seen the Prawn, but not eaten there, we always go to Padstow (and St Ives) at least once a year so i will remember it and try it next time, thanks.
BTW there is a cracking pizza restaurant and take away in Padstow, i think it is called The Woodfired Pizza Company (may be a chain, but i dont think so)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Sorry yes, i was in his Padstow restaurant, at this time of year they do a very reasonable B&B + Dinner.
We stayed in a lovely room above the restaurant and the whole thing was fantastic.
As we were on the deal, i had to ask the waiter if we was allowed the more expensive items on the menu (like lobster) he said " yes, just fill your boots" so we did.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Sorry yes, i was in his Padstow restaurant, at this time of year they do a very reasonable B&B + Dinner.
We stayed in a lovely room above the restaurant and the whole thing was fantastic.
As we were on the deal, i had to ask the waiter if we was allowed the more expensive items on the menu (like lobster) he said " yes, just fill your boots" so we did.

Lovely. We shall be going down again in June.
It is to difficult to go too far wrong in Padstow, because if a restaurant is no good, it won't survive.
As I said previously, if you enjoy fish and an informal atmosphere, give Prawn on the Lawn a look and perhaps have a pre dinner glass in Bin Two, a tiny wine bar near the harbour.:thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agreed, with one exception. We got them to make an off-menu tarte tatin. Spectacular. Otherwise, a bit meh.

Have you tried Kitchen Table on Charlotte Street. The technical term is, I believe, banging.

Thanks for that tip. Unfortunately I don't get up London way that much, but I will be there next Sunday for the match, and am planning a trip to Temper afterwards. Can't wait.
Might try KT in the summer, as our boy has his first school two-day trip, so planning adventures for then.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Is that the one in Covent Garden ? I enjoyed our meal in that one, but was not impressed by the one in Brighton.

The most disappointed I have been with any restaurant was Momma Cherri's the wife was going on and on about going and rave revues.... It was very poor and I left feeling hungry and underwhelmed.

Had to check, but yes I think it was the Covent Garden one.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I do wonder what people are expecting when they go to a chain restaurant that charges £20 to £30 a head for 2 courses. Cafe Rouge, Ask, Prezzo, Zizzi etc are all places you go to when you want something cheap and cheerful. How can something be overrated when it wasn't rated in the first place!!!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Lovely. We shall be going down again in June.
It is to difficult to go too far wrong in Padstow, because if a restaurant is no good, it won't survive.
As I said previously, if you enjoy fish and an informal atmosphere, give Prawn on the Lawn a look and perhaps have a pre dinner glass in Bin Two, a tiny wine bar near the harbour.:thumbsup:

Ah, now, Bin Two i have been to, and what a fabulous place it is. Great wine, a wine merchant and coffee.
When i am next down in St Ives i am going to try The Porthminster Beach cafe.
If anyone on here is going down that way this year (or already been there) give it a google, it looks mighty fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here