Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes applause for the Albion fan who sadly passed away at Falmer.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It will at some point get to the stage where we have multiple applause on different minutes in a match.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A lot of people seem to be getting a bit precious about this. Look, if you want to do a minutes worth of applause on 5 minutes, then by all means carry on. If you don't want to, then don't.

The family and friends are not going to feel any ill feeling towards you if you don't.

It's a personal thing.

Who knows, as with my very great friend tony Langridge, woodingdean seagull, we may even score the minute before we started to clap his memory!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Fair point, and you are technically right. But I still thing a minute's applause feels appropriate given the circumstances

and just what are those cicumstances? because you or some other fans happened to be nearby? i wasnt and probably shouldnt say anything, but i find it odd this desperate need to be seen to grieve for others you dont know. here we are actually arguing over it. has anyone considered the family's wishes? i really dont think its appropriate to remember or celebrate someone collectivly when you have nothing to do with them. people within and associated to the club by all means as they contribute to the event every week, but with respect an individual fan does not and if we want to do so for one, we should do it for every fan who passes. as suggested above, a mention in the programme, maybe a whip round and small gathering for a defibulator may be more appropriate.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
and just what are those cicumstances? because you or some other fans happened to be nearby? i wasnt and probably shouldnt say anything, but i find it odd this desperate need to be seen to grieve for others you dont know. here we are actually arguing over it. has anyone considered the family's wishes? i really dont think its appropriate to remember or celebrate someone collectivly when you have nothing to do with them. people within and associated to the club by all means as they contribute to the event every week, but with respect an individual fan does not and if we want to do so for one, we should do it for every fan who passes. as suggested above, a mention in the programme, maybe a whip round and small gathering for a defibulator may be more appropriate.

Putting aside the reality of his family's wishes which would obviously override anything else, the Albion is a community, family club, one big family, if you like. This fan died when this community got together. And many were there when it happened. It's particularly unusual circumstances. I'm not saying there definitely should be a minute's applause, but if there was one i don't think it would feel cringey or inappropriate. If the lack of medical equipment was an overriding factor, that's one for network rail id imagine.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Viewed like this, you are undoubtedly right -it is not a lot to offer. I really DON'T wish to appear insensitive, but I am not sure that it is a good idea to start doing this as a regular thing, or ask the club to become involved. The club, to their credit, print obituaries in the programme, and this is entirely appropriate and welcome -these people have devoted much of their lives to supporting the Albion. However, we could find ourselves doing several rounds a match, or choosing two out of five to applaud, say, and I could envisage a situation whereby one family gets annoyed as it was done for one and not the other, or that there are clamours to stop the practice as it is becoming overwhelming and too routine, which would be very upsetting for the families. What could and should be done to recognise the loss of Albion fans?

FWIW at Charlton we remember fans who have passed away at one game per season. People contact the club with their names and these are scrolled on the big screen before the game, accompanied by two minutes' applause. This fulfills a need to remember people whilst only 'affecting' one game per season, and I'm surprised more clubs don't do this.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thats wouldnt be a problem as we usually have 4 mins added at the end of each half but I think the 5th minute is a good idea.

My apologies I was being flippant not realizing that the man was actually 92. I thought it was somebody just replying to the time element of the minutes applause. I am in 2 minds here would I want it done for me, I am not sure that I would but I do like the Charlton idea at the last home game to respect all that have passed away. with their names on the big board and 1 round of applause for all.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
FWIW at Charlton we remember fans who have passed away at one game per season. People contact the club with their names and these are scrolled on the big screen before the game, accompanied by two minutes' applause. This fulfills a need to remember people whilst only 'affecting' one game per season, and I'm surprised more clubs don't do this.

That is a good idea for the 1st game of the season

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It sounds a nice idea, but there is one thing, and one thing only, to be considered in these sad circumstances.

The wishes of his family.

It sounds a nice idea, but there is one thing, and one thing only, to be considered in these sad circumstances.

The wishes of his family.

... and, as yet, we know nothing about who he was or what his family want.

Like some others, I am not a great enthusiast for commandeering the emotions of a very personal event like a death and turning them into something public. Unless there is a good reason.

Jesus Christ, I try and do something simple, like try and arrange a 1 minute applause for a sadly passed Albion fan, who died after a match, watching the team he loved. It's all over Facebook, with not 1 person thinking it's a bad idea, all over Twitter, retweeted by Naylor, Johnny Cantor, Calde, several of the Ladies players, all who think it's a great idea. I then post it on here, thinking it will give it far more of a boost, then I realise the reason why I never bother with this site any more, as some of you lot are so precious, so stuck up your own arses, and still stuck in the dark ages. Shame on you.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Jesus Christ, I try and do something simple, like try and arrange a 1 minute applause for a sadly passed Albion fan, who died after a match, watching the team he loved. It's all over Facebook, with not 1 person thinking it's a bad idea, all over Twitter, retweeted by Naylor, Johnny Cantor, Calde, several of the Ladies players, all who think it's a great idea. I then post it on here, thinking it will give it far more of a boost, then I realise the reason why I never bother with this site any more, as some of you lot are so precious, so stuck up your own arses, and still stuck in the dark ages. Shame on you.

I am all in favour of this at this late stage of the season, provided the family are in agreement however my liking of the Charlton idea is something to be taken forward to other seasons.

Who on here has said it's a bad idea?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Don't you think that Tuesday evening is maybe just a little bit too soon? Poor man only died on Friday evening. We don't know who he is or what his family's wishes are. Wind your neck in.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The debate seems quite reasonable. Nobody is being precious, but giving their opinion. It isn't necessary to agree with your idea to debate it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Sorry that you think so....maybe just take a step back..remember it's not about us or you...it's the chap who died..family etc..it's up to each individual.
:)

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

I'm sure you have the best of intentions and it's a nice thing to do but as far as I can see the debate on here has been respectful and reasonable and people are allowed to disagree with you.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
I'm not really sure what the point is, there's got to be hundreds of thousands of Albion fans around the world which means a few us unfortunately die each day. Given the fact we don't even know the man's name can we not just say RIP and leave it there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here