Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do they ask football managers in interviews?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
How to cross a pretend ocean with two barrels and three planks, with none of the men (or women) able to touch the floor due to currents and imaginary sharks?

How to drop an egg on to the ground from 6' w/o breaking it, you have a ball off string, some paper and sellotape.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We could get a couple of the players to conduct the interview maybe. I'm thinking something like this:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Spielberg was right.

You are condescending when you have nothing to say.

Blimey, where's everyone's sense of humour tonight? :ohmy:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
How to cross a pretend ocean with two barrels and three planks, with none of the men (or women) able to touch the floor due to currents and imaginary sharks?

Easyjet.

That'll be a three year contract @ £3m pa plus a bonus if I keep NSC off your back.

Pickles

May 5, 2014

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
TB: complete the following numerical sequence: 4, x, x, [x], x.

Manager: depends on whether you want to win, or be satisfied with a draw.

TB: when can you start?

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Depends on the chairman/manager. Dick Knight writes well in his book about his process. Arsene Wenger was hired over a game of charades.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Depends on the chairman/manager. Dick Knight writes well in his book about his process. Arsene Wenger was hired over a game of charades.

Please let this be true :lolol:

EastUpperSeagull

Jul 3, 2013
Good post. I've always wondered this. Surely for us it will be as simple as our budget is x and we want our youth academy to be central and we want promotion. Tell us how? Or if we really want them how much do you want??

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm curious. Do you think an interview for a football manager's job is much like any other (ie all "Where do you see yourself in xxx years time?", "What unique qualities do you think you can bring to this role?", "What are your strengths/weaknesses as a manager of people?" etc)?

Or is it completely different? It's a much more high profile job than most, so perhaps it would be harder to bluff your way through. Whaddya reckon?

Good question, but I think you'd be looking for a very pro-active interview on the part of the candidate.

That is to say you would expect them to know a fair bit about the club, the team, the chairman and board, any playing style, direction and recent history. Then it is a series of prompting questions about what they can do for you as a manager, and your vision and ambitions for the team and club.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good post. I've always wondered this. Surely for us it will be as simple as our budget is x and we want our youth academy to be central and we want promotion. Tell us how? Or if we really want them how much do you want??

I think you could be right. Must be horses for courses. If you're Roman Abramovich or the CEO of Real Madrid, it's probably more a case of "We want you, what's it going to take to get you here?". For clubs like us, it's got to be more of a two way procedure, a "Here's what we've got, what can you do with it? Tell us what you're going to bring".

I mean, there's still plenty of managers who would kill for a job like ours, whether employed or currently out of work. We have the glass slipper. We just need to ask the right questions, weed out the Ugly Sisters, and find the Cinderella with the perfect sized feet. Then we shall go to the ball :D

EastUpperSeagull

Jul 3, 2013
I think you could be right. Must be horses for courses. If you're Roman Abramovich or the CEO of Real Madrid, it's probably more a case of "We want you, what's it going to take to get you here?". For clubs like us, it's got to be more of a two way procedure, a "Here's what we've got, what can you do with it? Tell us what you're going to bring".

I mean, there's still plenty of managers who would kill for a job like ours, whether employed or currently out of work. We have the glass slipper. We just need to ask the right questions, weed out the Ugly Sisters, and find the Cinderella with the perfect sized feet. Then we shall go to the ball :D

Like the analogy!

Good question, but I think you'd be looking for a very pro-active interview on the part of the candidate.

That is to say you would expect them to know a fair bit about the club, the team, the chairman and board, any playing style, direction and recent history. Then it is a series of prompting questions about what they can do for you as a manager, and your vision and ambitions for the team and club.

I think you'd expect this at interview for just about any job don't you think? It's a two-way process with candidate also interviewing the employer and to do that effectively here you'd also need to demonstrate knowledge BHA's business philosophy, company/club structure etc as well as the points you've highlighted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here