Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Symphony of the Seas - the largest passenger ship ever to be constructed

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Disney have had virtual portholes on inside cabins for some time now.

Unfortunately the Highways Agency have real potholes.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I wonder how many of those on this thread who are critical of cruising on ship like this have never been on one?

I suspect you won't find any. Cruises seem to be a love-hate type of holiday; you know instinctively what they will be like and avoid them if it's not your cup of tea.

I think they're like holiday camps on water, and I would never go to a holiday camp either, so the choice is an easy one. I also find them very expensive - I prefer to travel independently and keep costs down, but I understand that lots of people want all of that organisation and planning done for them, and are happy to pay for it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
There aren't many lifeboats and some cabins have a "virtual balcony" or so I've heard.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
I think it was moored alongside the Westpac Stadium in Wellington this morning during the ODI

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Booked a last minute week away deal in Madeira at the back end of last year. Based in Funchal. Nice small city. Had never really considered the impact of cruise liners on nice small cities before. Took about two days to suss not to even attempt to try and use the place before about 2pm when the cruise liner inmates had pissed off back to the boat. Lovely place, but must be hell there if you just want to go out to lunch.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
i like the fact that people moan about cruise passengers clogging up places where they are on holiday too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Me!
I bet some of the ships are amazing and looking round one would be interesting. But why would I want to be stuck on one for days instead of being in a nice town or city with culture and variety?

You don’t have to be stuck on one for days. We did a 14 day cruise, during which we only had 3 actual ‘sea days’. The rest of the days were spent in nice towns and cities with culture and variety (lots of variety, given the cities were all in different countries)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You don’t have to be stuck on one for days. We did a 14 day cruise, during which we only had 3 actual ‘sea days’. The rest of the days were spent in nice towns and cities with culture and variety (lots of variety, given the cities were all in different countries)
And that is something I do get and would like, but I'd like it on a small ship, so there aren't 6,000 of us getting off at the same port, all wanting to go to the same place.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
And that is something I do get and would like, but I'd like it on a small ship, so there aren't 6,000 of us getting off at the same port, all wanting to go to the same place.

Think there was about 2500 on the one we were on, never had much of a wait to get on/off but with 6000 I could see it being a bit chaotic at some ports. There were such a range of trips and tours starting at different times I think the flow was evened out.........

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Rather than ask what a virtual balcony is, I googled it. It actually is a thing! :ohmy:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/an-inside-room-with-a-view/

Virtual_Balcony_Image.jpg

wtf???

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is there a way of booking these visits or seeing when they are available? I did one years ago when I was briefly a travel agent and had a great time.

I'll find the links.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If you've come off the boat, you're unlikely to notice but they are a blot on the landscape for the ports they visit.

Ah thanks for that. I didn't realise. Any other gems I missed?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here