Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What do you consider to be the greatest debut album of all time ?

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Buffalo Springfield - Retrospective. Fantastic and highly influential album that kicked off the careers of Stephen Stills and David Crosby
The Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man. Folk rock as had never been heard before but sure was since.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
http://www.nme.com/photos/history-of-the-nme-awards-tour-1406271

I agree it feels too late for them to be playing short sets in small venues like the dome but it was definitely 2005. Good on them for not fizzling out after such rapid success. They did go a bit ‘kings of Leon’ though. I know a band has lost it when I hear my mother in law singing their songs...

Almost missed another cracking debut there, Youth & Young Manhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if the Astoria one I saw them at may have been 2005. They'd booked the venue but by the time they got to play there they'd gone massive and had to announce another date. Sounds like it must have been around the same time.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Thanks for the link. Brings back lots of great memories. That was one of the best Fall gigs that I ever attended, music-wise.

The previous gig had been at the Brighton Centre East Wing, in about 1999, very soon after the disastrous US tour where he fought the entire band onstage. It was obvious that the replacements were not much bothered with giving a decent performance.

In between those gigs MES had got his head together, got married and got himself a really decent set of musicians. He was utterly brilliant. Having British Sea Power as support was the icing on the cake. I can't recall him having many support acts after that. It always seemed to be that weird Video DJ bloke who played looped snippets of Elvis concerts at super-slow speeds .

I think Herr Tubthumper has the best Fall gig story with the Valentine's Day gig and MES in a wheelchair. I did once go to a Lesbian and Transexuals Spoken Word/Poetry Open Mic night at the old Concorde because MES was booked to do a DJ set there. God knows how they managed that. Sadly, he never turned up.

And Pevenseagull once gave him a kiss on the cheek onstage whilst carrying a fresh seabass in his coat pocket.

My favourite MES story involves a friend who shared a flat with a girl who'd just got a job in music PR. She'd been given the job of 'looking after' MES on a trip down to London. Not knowing what to do with him, she took him round the flat but then had to pop out on some errand or other. All of this unbeknown to my friend, who came home from work to find Mark E Smith alone in her flat, sitting on her sofa.... I think she made him a cup of tea.

Last edited:

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I'm wondering if the Astoria one I saw them at may have been 2005. They'd booked the venue but by the time they got to play there they'd gone massive and had to announce another date. Sounds like it must have been around the same time.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-killers/2004/astoria-theatre-london-england-3bdadc20.html

100 pages of killers gigs on setlist fm. Sadly no setlist on this link. Could be the one you’re thinking of. The Brighton Dome gig was Feb 2005.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
Led Zepelin I

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Given that half of those you have posted are not debuts, I am guessing that you are either fishing, or have not read the question carefully.

I hope for your sake that neither of these are true and that you are completely unaware of the existence of Come On Pilgrim and Surfer Rosa. What a treat you would be in for.

Here's 'Vamos' as it's on both of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjiDkpD2KUM

ya beat me to it Stato !
Death to the Pixies !

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Emerson Lake Palmer, first track Barbarian also the best ever opening chordy type thing, phenomental

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Like the OP Stranglers got that before released (did a small job for their manager)
Cream Disraeli Gears
Dexys Young Soul Rebels
The The Soul Mining

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here