Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Izquierdo Penalty

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I saw the highlights after the game, but people are saying the Palace player got the ball, as if that negates the foul. When Stephens got his red at Middlesbrough, he got the ball, but it was still a foul.

You are right. Many many times the NSC sages have said getting the ball doesn't negate a foul.

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
The angle you want is at 40 seconds here. Looks like McArthur just takes him out, but you can just see that he did get the ball first (bit obscured by their number 8). You can certainly see why Friend gave it from that angle

https://highlightsfootball.com/video/brighton-hove-albion-vs-crystal-palace-highlights-2/

Brilliant - thanks, that was exactly the angle i wanted.

Less clear cut than I thought on 2nd viewing but also explains totally why he gave it

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You're right. There's an angle, I think taken from the North, which shows Izquierdo getting properly taken out. The normal angle, from the West, makes it look very soft indeed

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
I posted this on the "Friend" thread. Apologies for the blurry screen shot but as mentioned before from where Friend was and in real time you can see why he gave it.

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 10.46.43.png

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Was not a pen but can see why he gave it from the angle he had. The one on Murray should of been given anyway so **** them.....

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
What about the absolutely shocking defending with two palace centre backs going for the same ball and passing it to Izzy? Far bigger mistake than the ref not seeing that McCarther got a toe on the ball

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
The foul on Murray was very similar to the foul by Marko Arnautovic that was given as a penalty for Cardiff, if it had been given maybe the Duffy incident would not have happened and there'd be no talk of the corner that led to our 2nd goal not being a corner. I was very disappointed with the coverage on MOTD.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The first was never a penalty but I think most can see why, from his position, Friend gave it. The second was a penalty but an incorrect corner was given from which we scored. Both make it even more sweeter!! Friend's performance was diabolical. I'll forgive him the first penalty but most decisions after that were dire. They were quite clearly trying to injure our players knowing we had no more subs!!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The first was never a penalty but I think most can see why, from his position, Friend gave it. The second was a penalty but an incorrect corner was given from which we scored. Both make it even more sweeter!! Friend's performance was diabolical. I'll forgive him the first penalty but most decisions after that were dire. They were quite clearly trying to injure our players knowing we had no more subs!!

Yes, that is what we thought. Sounds cynical, but the fouling just kept coming, and you really wondered. If this is indeed the case, might Hodgson told them to do it, you wonder. If this were the case, I would be very disappointed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Absolutely. Zaha, who bleats for protection from the refs, raking his studs down March's achilles, and stamping on Andone. He should have had a second yellow and been sent off.

Filthy dirty cheats!!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
When you go in from the wrong side and from slightly behind, you are at the mercy of the referee and their angle.

Without the benefit of slow motion and different angles, I'm thinking pen all day long. The ball goes in exactly the direction you would expect Izzy's touch and body shape to take it. I do feel really bad we got away with one there. :p

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The thing is, the replay from that angle shows it clearly was (he took out Izquierdo first)
If he took out Izzy first, then it should have been a penalty. I haven't noticed that yet.

EDIT - I've got 3 angles here, and I think he gets the ball at least as early as colliding with Izzy.

Obviously as others have said, getting the ball doesn't instantly make it no foul, it still can be, but I don't think it should have been.

However, I'm completely sure the foul on Murray should have been a penalty.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The foul on Murray was very similar to the foul by Marko Arnautovic that was given as a penalty for Cardiff, if it had been given maybe the Duffy incident would not have happened
There's no maybe about it, it wouldn't have. Duffy was our deepest defender when Murray was fouled, he only came up because the corner had been given (and he's supposed to come up for corners, not penalties).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here