Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly interview.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He definitely hasn't signed a contract recently. Hoffenheim have been monitoring him, and their recent model is to go after young talents whose contracts are nearing expiry.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ortedly-among-3-clubs-watching-aaron-connolly
The Seagulls aren't prolific in attack, finding the net 13 times in 12 matches in the Premier League. Six of those goals have come from veteran Glenn Murray, who likely represents Connolly's biggest obstacle to first-team football.
He's still in fine form, but Murray is 35. It means Brighton need to start thinking about a replacement sooner rather than later, so Connolly could find that patience will be beneficial in the long run.
Can't argue with that. In his interview, young Connolly pointed out he'd been playing U23 football since he was 16. Knows a bit about moving up to the next level, that lad..................

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Easy to say "send him out to Champ/L1", of course that's the natural progression.

Problem is finding a decent team willing to play an u23 'unproven' player regularly, as requested in-contract.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He definitely hasn't signed a contract recently. Hoffenheim have been monitoring him, and their recent model is to go after young talents whose contracts are nearing expiry.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ortedly-among-3-clubs-watching-aaron-connolly

Connolly joined us as a scholar in the summer of 2016 and his first professional contract was registered on July 1 2017. It is pretty standard that young players will get offered three year deals (one year scholarship with two years professional), so my guess would be his ORIGINAL professional contract DID run until the end of this season. However, a new contract was registered with the FA on December 8 2017 (we don't know how long that one was for as the club has never mentioned it).

Connolly himself mentioned it on instagram in February - "..looking forward to the next few years at the club":-

ConnollyContract.jpg

Oh, and Man Utd are certainly aware of him. Mark Anderson (the person largely credited with scouting Raheem Sterling when he was at QPR, and who was Head of Academy Player Recruitment and Talent ID for almost 5 years at Albion) would have played a significant role in Connolly's scouting and recruitment for Albion. In January 2017 Anderson moved to Man Utd as their Lead Academy Scout for the South of England. Even now, every time Connolly scores a goal, Anderson retweets the notification using a #goalmachine hashtag:-

[TWEET]1065009834565746690[/TWEET]

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Easy to say "send him out to Champ/L1", of course that's the natural progression.

Problem is finding a decent team willing to play an u23 'unproven' player regularly, as requested in-contract.

Exactly. The only teams that want an unproven striker are teams that are struggling but then you get no service, don't score, lose confidence, people call you rubbish etc.. or you sit on the bench waiting for your chance. I think we have someone in charge of loans now don't we, so I presume they will work out the best move for him? We've seen enough loan signings to know it's not an exact science - Jonathan Obika for example

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
"I’d 100% be interested in a loan move, that’s what everyone wants to do, play first-team football."
.....if he doesn't get a chance with us. I suspect he won't, so will go on loan and then get shipped out after not wanting to sign another u23 contract.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
.....if he doesn't get a chance with us. I suspect he won't, so will go on loan and then get shipped out after not wanting to sign another u23 contract.

Loan perhaps but I’ve got him down as Glenn Murray’s replacement. Glenn can not continue this form or fitness indefinitely at his age. By the time Connolly hits 20, I expect him to be our number 1 striker.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Loan perhaps but I’ve got him down as Glenn Murray’s replacement. Glenn can not continue this form or fitness indefinitely at his age. By the time Connolly hits 20, I expect him to be our number 1 striker.
That's my hope too..... but he is likely to want more action before then, he will turn diwn a new contract and get picked up elsewhere, a club maybe who won't hold his progress back.

I believe he is ready for a few bench/squad appearances... if he doesn't do the job, we'll know won't we.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Given his high opinion of himself I’m sure his agent won’t have any problems? Plenty of young lads doing well on loan in those divisions. Half of them at Derby !

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I believe he is ready for a few bench/squad appearances... if he doesn't do the job, we'll know won't we.

How does being on the bench help his progress though? And presumably he replaces Andone right?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
How does being on the bench help his progress though? And presumably he replaces Andone right?
No... Locadia...... and he will experience a run of 1st team involvement.. and some minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here