Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know that we have agreed to support certain EU policies throughout the time we have been members, but equally for over 45 years, British governments of all political hues have stopped EU policies where they have thought they weren't good for Britain.

In the 19 years of existence of the Euro, for instance, we have never been forced to join and, I think you would agree, that if we stayed in the EU it still wouldn't be forced upon us. And I would suggest that a lot of the things you are mentioning (single bank, single currency, single army) will go exactly the same way.

One of the biggest issues for me is that we are throwing away 45 years of hard negotiated benefits to Britain. (Before UKIP MEP's started getting elected and deciding not to turn up !)

*edit*

And stating that

Is just factually wrong. Do you really think the British Government would accept all of these things with no vetoes or opt-outs ? (Because EU history would suggest the complete opposite).

I guess at some point we'll find out what it's like to have control back.
I hope for everybody's sake people like Westdene are correct, sadly he's done nothing to convince me that's even remotely possible.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seems strange that Labour hasn't ensured all it's MPs vote against in the hope of a government defeat.

That would seem strange of all other parties in opposition, but sadly, for the sake of this country, just not this one.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Spain kicking off on TM's Brexit deal over Gibraltar - well there's a surprise ???

I call you a nause because that wonderful bloke Butch described you as the Archbishop of Nausebury,nauseing up the internet-perfect description.
As you have raised Spain 'kicking off',perhaps you could inform us what their intervention could actually achieve at this stage?Apart from sod all,that is.:lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So once in 40 years a main political party offered a say. My original post said 'meaningful' say. I'd suggest some casual promise in a manifesto doesn't really count as a meaningful say.

I'd scarcely say it was a "casual promise"; it was the main plank of its manifesto - just as the Tories in 2015 made the EU referendum a central plank of its manifesto. If they'd failed to go ahead with the referendum, would you have dismissed that as a casual promise?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Seems strange that Labour hasn't ensured all it's MPs vote against in the hope of a government defeat.

The absent Labour MP's were paired with Tory absentees and DUP MP's.

The 8 DUP who voted only broke their pairings with Labour and voted did so when absent SNP & Lib Dem MP's were also totted up and the independent MPs accounted for. Labour were never going to win their amendment anymore than The DUP were going let them inflict a defeat on The Government. It was just a polite reminder to The Tories.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
'Stalking you' ? Ah bless

Well if you stop posting complete bollocks on things about which you obviously have no understanding, I'll stop pulling you up on it and making you look foolish.

Deal ?

(I'm assuming you are using the term nause in the same way as Two profs. ie I don't have an answer to what you're asking so I'll say the word nause instead)

Making me look foolish? Pull the other one you complete tool. You’re the sad act who spends half his life on an internet forum chasing people around asking the same inane question. You really are a deluded old prat. Please just leave me alone. Thanks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Making me look foolish? Pull the other one you complete tool. You’re the sad act who spends half his life on an internet forum chasing people around asking the same inane question. You really are a deluded old prat. Please just leave me alone. Thanks.

Then surely he's probably best ignored.
As you are seemingly unable to do this, there is a function that can do it for you.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We all heard her say it but now the press at Number 10 are denying it.

[tweet]1064664518180184065[/tweet]

This MP is submitting a Parliamentary motion for an apology for something May's press has denied her even saying.

[tweet]1064926076827242496[/tweet]

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes, I am. Since we've joined the EEC/EU has made more and more progress towards it's aim of an 'ever closer political and fiscal union' with the electorate here having little say in it. We all know that's the EUs stated aim - it's well known. So it's taken over 40 years for the UK voters to have a meaningful say. So do I think "Well, the policy might change so I'll vote remain and see what happens." or do I take my probable once in a lifetime chance of a vote on our relationship with the EU ? I'll probably be dead in 40 years so I'm hardly going to wait around for another chance. Unless of course we get to vote on it say every 10 years ?

The thing to remember is that we would not sign up to any closer ties than we have now, without having a referendum on the matter, and refusing to go in any deeper would not threaten our status in aspects we are already taking part in.
This would probably change if we left and came back, so it is quite possible that by leaving now, you help put the UK in a position where it is committed to ever closer union should we rejoin, and I think we will rejoin.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
This MP is submitting a Parliamentary motion for an apology for something May's press has denied her even saying.

Is that a different 'lie' from #65097?Just asking,cos I'm an EU citizen,and I'm not offended.Mark you,they didn't jump the queue,more just avoided it by not needing a visa,like the other applicants.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

A fine MP on my door step speaking out on a racist hostile environment, May has been the lead architect.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I call you a nause because that wonderful bloke Butch described you as the Archbishop of Nausebury,nauseing up the internet-perfect description.
As you have raised Spain 'kicking off',perhaps you could inform us what their intervention could actually achieve at this stage?Apart from sod all,that is.:lolol:

Knowing how you don't like links as the Internet goblins might get you

Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez has said Spain will reject the draft Brexit withdrawal deal without a clarification of the text on future talks on the status of Gibraltar.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46267684

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If this mystical USE you are afraid of had proportional representation in its parliament we might actually have a more powerful vote and more of a say over what happens across the whole of Europe than we do now with out FPTP system which renders votes meaningless.

Errr ..... it's the PR system that's used to elect MEPs that gives us our 18% influence in the EU.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The terms will be lesser, and we may not rejoin, but if we do not, it will be because we have ended up with something that looks very much like Norway or Switzerland. If we try and stick to your version of Brexit, we will be back within 10 years.

Back in the EU within 10 years,? I doubt the public, parliament or political parties except the lib dems (who will be consumed) will want to visit this subject again anytime soon.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
We all heard her say it but now the press at Number 10 are denying it.

[tweet]1064664518180184065[/tweet]

I guess since you must have seen or read the press spokesperson actually denying she even said jump the queue, even though she did and they do jump the queue you wont mind sharing the transcript of what the press chap said, considering your past twitter form and all.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I guess since you must have seen or read the press spokesperson actually denying she even said jump the queue, even though she did and they do jump the queue you wont mind sharing the transcript of what the press chap said, considering your past twitter form and all.

The link is within Steve Peers tweet.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The Government are helpless without The DUP.
Tonight in parliament they are accepting amendments left right and centre to the finance bill, something that is rarely or never done.
Not getting the deal through the commons will see the end of this sorry government.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here